Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

FIGHT FOR THE RIGHT...DIE IF WE MUST...BUT ALWAYS REMEMBER...IN GOD WE TRUST!
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Worthwhile read. Thanks.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
youinz best stay off those I droid smart phones and facebook.

Trump Won!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Gunner, I never understood the international fascination with FB.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Me either OT, I just bitch and growl here. cool

Trump Won!
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Worthwhile read. Thanks.
Indeed!

Originally Posted by gunner500
No problem for me... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing new there. This site is about the extent of my social networking conducted via a PC with Adblocker installed. No Google or Facebook accounts. I've never experienced directed advertising. I never check my dumb phone that stays on top of our microwave, as it's switched off until I want to use it. Except for Cookie, no one has its number anyway. Don't really care for it though, as my land line has never dropped a call. No equipment that's continuously online with nothing hardwired into our TV. No Alexa or who ever, and will even turn off the GPS unit in a new camera that's coming. The best tracking device for my activities is likely a credit card, and we use cash or write checks for all of our face to face transactions.

My perception is that recent technology has done nothing but clutter peoples lives. Mostly I've been reading some great old hard copy books lately. When we leave our offices or home, anyone that wants our attention will physically have to show up. Seems no one sits back, smells the roses, and savors tranquility anymore. More and more, I'm coming to think that I've experienced the best of times.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/17/18.

1Minute
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I guess the fire doesn't qualify as a social media site?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nope. Half the azzwipes on here aren't social.

I know I'll be forced to get a smart phone someday, but I'll treat it like my emergency flip phone and turn it on only when I absolutely have to.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Guarandamtee everything we do here or anywhere else WWW-wise is being tracked[by some entity].
FB is just the somewhat known quantity and they're damned good at it [scary good].
For instance:
I posted on the 'barrel tape' thread last week, something along the lines of AI'd tape, on FB I'm getting suggestions for 'Ackley Improved' pages.
Another: was discussing a specific brand of bourbon a while back with a friend, while doind so the friend was looking at a picture on my phone, next time on FB guess what was suggested.....

But everyone should know, It isn't just FB.

FJB & FJT
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I guess the fire doesn't qualify as a social media site?

Yes sir, in fact it is.

But,,,,any hacks here getting and then redistributing personal info that you might recall?

I see beau coup difference between this site vs, e.g., FB, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Raeford

Guarandamtee everything we do here or anywhere else WWW-wise is being tracked[by some entity].
FB is just the somewhat known quantity and they're damned good at it [scary good].
For instance:
I posted on the 'barrel tape' thread last week, something along the lines of AI'd tape, on FB I'm getting suggestions for 'Ackley Improved' pages.
Another: was discussing a specific brand of bourbon a while back with a friend, while doind so the friend was looking at a picture on my phone, next time on FB guess what was suggested.....

But the ones you posted are from - Facebook... smile

I see beau coup difference between this site vs, e.g., FB, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.
Ditto..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 1minute
Nothing new there. This site is about the extent of my social networking conducted via a PC with Adblocker installed. No Google or Facebook accounts. I've never experienced directed advertising. I never check my dumb phone that stays on top of our microwave, as it's switched off until I want to use it. Except for Cookie, no one has its number anyway. Don't really care for it anyway, as my land line has never dropped a call. No equipment that's continuously online with nothing hardwired into our TV. No Alexa or who ever, and will even turn off the GPS unit in a new camera that's coming. The best tracking device for my activities is likely a credit card, and we use cash or write checks for all of our face to face transactions.

My perception is that recent technology has done nothing but clutter peoples lives. Mostly I've been reading some great old hard copy books lately. When we leave our offices or home, anyone that wants our attention will physically have to show up. Seems no one sits back, smells the roses, and savors tranquility anymore. More and more, I'm coming to think that I've experienced the best of times.

Your last paragraph hits home, dead center.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Raeford

For instance:

But the ones you posted are from - Facebook... smile

Ditto..

I've had plenty from Goo-Foo, just not quite as blatant. Goo-Foo is most likely the very best at it.

FJB & FJT
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Zuckerberg did not build a net worth of $80 Billion by "giving away" a free app. It has ALWAYS been about collecting and selling personal data.

Keen to see what happens in the EU after the September FB data breach that affected 3 million EU residents. . EU GDPR regs indicate a fine of up to 4% of gross global revenue for a data breach involving EU citizens. FB had gross revenues of $27 Billion in 2016. A 4% fine would be more than $1 Billion. Should prove interesting...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Zuckerberg did not build a net worth of $80 Billion by "giving away" a free app. It has ALWAYS been about collecting and selling personal data.

Keen to see what happens in the EU after the September FB data breach that affected 3 million EU residents. . EU GDPR regs indicate a fine of up to 4% of gross global revenue for a data breach involving EU citizens. FB had gross revenues of $27 Billion in 2016. A 4% fine would be more than $1 Billion. Should prove interesting...

For once I’m pulling for the EU.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

From what I see it gives meaningless people who have nothing to offer relevance and importance to their lives. Not all FaceBook users are like this but the vast majority I see are.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 12344mag

From what I see it gives meaningless people who have nothing to offer relevance and importance to their lives. Not all FaceBook users are like this but the vast majority I see are.

Paul, I don’t recall who’s quote it is that said:

“There’s no act so private or sacred that it doesn’t cry out for applause.”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with the story. My advice is to use Mozilla Firefox with certain privacy add-ons. No Google anything. No apps (basically spyware) on any device.

Use Firefox to find weather, stocks info, whatever you need to do. May not be perfect but it's the best choice I believe.

Search engine- I use Duck Duck Go

No social networks ever.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,162 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.