Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Tow mirrors are offered now as an option but seem to be a dealer performed swap. I'm told that you lose the blind spot warning with them, if you have that option to begin with. I have found some clip on mirrors that attach to your existing mirrors but don't know how good they are.

I won't be towing a travel trailer. Widest thing I plan to tow is a trailer with square bales of hay on it or a small tractor. That would only be once or twice per year. Less if I can get rid of my wife's nag!

The current tow haul mode is supposed to downshift one gear when you touch the brakes. Does yours work that way?

How about mileage? How long have you had your Tundra, how many miles?

There is rumored to be a new Tundra in 2020 but I'm not sure I'd want the first year of a re-vamp.

Last edited by AnsonRogers; 10/16/18.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
T

There is rumored to be a new Tundra in 2020 but I'm not sure I'd want the first year of a re-vamp.

It's Toyota, they will just put a new grill on it like a few years back and call it an all new Tundra. Probably the smoothest riding truck I ever owned was a 2006 Toyota Tundra. I like Toyota Tundras, but the gas mileage on the 5.7 is what scared me away from them. I have a few friends that had 06 and 08 models, and they got horrible gas mileage. At least my Ram with a 5.7L and my now Chevy with a 5.3L can get up to 21 mpg on long road trips. Everyday driving though the Dodge got 15-17 summer, and down to 13 mpg in winter. Chevy gets about 19 mpg summer and 17 mpg winter.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You can get tow mirrors for the Tundra on ebay or amazon that will bolt right in. It is a 2-beer install, mainly because you have to pull the door panel (mostly). I think mine were like $165.

I ended up getting rid of my Tundra and going back to a Dodge diesel. I mostly liked the tundra, but there were a few annoying aspects. Mainly, I was just asking too much of it in the hauling and towing departments.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've owned 2 TRD model Tundra's, one an 07 and the last was a 2015. Overall I thought they are pretty good trucks except in the gas mileage department especially when towing. My 2012 Ram 1500 5.7 with a 355 ratio rear towed as good if not better than the Tundra's and got better mileage all around. Neither gas 1/2 tons will come close to towing like a 3/4 or 1 ton with a diesel.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JMR40
The Tundra compares very closely to a gas 3/4 ton. No it won't do what a diesel 3/4 ton will do. But the old school 5.7 V8 along with 4.30 gears does a pretty good job. It's not as fast when towing, but you'll get there.

And before you decide on the 3.5 turbo from Ford you better look hard. The engine will pull the weight, but Ford 1/2 tons set up to pull more than Tundra's are unicorns. They make a big deal about what their trucks CAN tow. They just don't make many that will do it. Ford, like Dodge and Chevy offer multiple engines, axle ratios, cab styles, trim levels, bed lengths and wheelbases. Most of them have gears in the 3.31 range and payloads so low that you overload the suspension long before you reach max towing weight. With Tundra you only get one wheelbase and 2 engines. And if you go with the 5.7 engine you get 4.30 gears, no other options. That combo will pull more than 90% of the 1/2 tons on the road made by Ford. Even with the 3.5 turbo engine.

And I have a Ford. I like it and It serves my needs. But there are lots of guys buying F-150's with the 3.5 turbo thinking they will tow 12000 lbs and are shocked to find that the one they bought will not pull much over 6000 lbs because the suspension wont' handle the tongue weight. Or because they bought one with 3.31 or 3.15 gears instead or 3.73's.
2 wheelbases. There aren't that many around but they do make an 8' bed.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I rented a Tundra last month to pick up some freight at SFO. We do this fairly regularly, same cargo, same trip from SE Idaho to SFO. 1,800 miles total, enough for a fair comparison, I submit. I've used Ram 1500's, Ford F150's and one Tundra.

As far as the capability to handle the 1,600 lb payload, the Tundra comes in last, closely followed by the Ram 1500. The Ford is much more stable.

Visibility and comfort: Again, the Tundra is last, the Ram substantially better, and the Ford is on top.

Fuel economy: Tundra is last again, closely followed by the Ram, and the Ford is about 20% better.

Anyone who suggests the Tundra is a "3/4" ton is smoking crack. It's not even a good half ton. .

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
Tow mirrors are offered now as an option but seem to be a dealer performed swap. I'm told that you lose the blind spot warning with them, if you have that option to begin with. I have found some clip on mirrors that attach to your existing mirrors but don't know how good they are.

I won't be towing a travel trailer. Widest thing I plan to tow is a trailer with square bales of hay on it or a small tractor. That would only be once or twice per year. Less if I can get rid of my wife's nag!

The current tow haul mode is supposed to downshift one gear when you touch the brakes. Does yours work that way?

How about mileage? How long have you had your Tundra, how many miles?

I've had this tundra about 24 months ago. I bought it with 55,000miles and up to 85K now.

I haven't noticed if the tow haul works that way. I'm proactive, so I switch to manual mode when I crest the pass and manually downshift.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,344
Posts18,526,913
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.