Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Hey guys so I have always hunted from a tent or motel when I'm not On a backpack hunt and have finally decided to get a travel trailer for my non backpack hunts. I'm not looking for a small pop up trailer or tent trailer that can follow you almost anywhere i am looking for a travel trailer that is 23 feet or less but can still do some lightweight off-road stuff and has its own suspension. I was looking at the forest river no boundaries 19.7 but decided against it and I am seriously considering the Outdoors rv Backcountry 18db with the bunk bed configuration. Need it to fit me and my dad and possibly 1 or 2 other people of we do a group hunt out of state. Also thought about the adak or conquerer but adak is discontinued and conquerer is crazy pricey. Any travel trailers you can recommend would be awesome. thanks would like a brand new one but would also get a used one that's in good condition. Thanks

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There was a good thread on this a while back on the trucks forums, I believe. Orange Okie had a nice one. Lots of others contributed, too. Try a search there and let us know what you do decide on.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you are going to be hunting in a really cold weather environment not all TT's are made to withstand the cold. Even with a propane heater it will be cold inside. I took mine to Colorado one year and never could get it warm. My tent is much warmer. I hope you have better luck than I did. BTW...mine has the Polar package. They just aren't made for real cold. Also, if you have water in the holding tank, unless that tank is heated, the water will freeze. As well as any water in the lines.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
The two companies known for 4 season, off pavement RV’s are Outdoor RV and Northwood (Arctic Fox). Both are in the northwest and should be available in your area. I have stayed in temps well below freezing in my Grand Design, but would not take it far off pavement. The two companies mentioned above have a heavier frame and suspension. I’m sure there are other speciality brands that I’m not aware of.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend of mine has a Arctic Fox. Best camper for the north country you can have. I have stayed in it with him on Lake of the Woods ice fishing at -20 deg with wind and the furnace wasn't even working hard set at 74 deg. It was great. My campers furnace will run constant just to hold 45- 50 deg in conditions like that.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow. Those RV Country trailers look like similar construction quality to an Airstream at half the cost. That 21 footer looks like it would fit your situation.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Arctic Fox, go no further.

Dont even THINK of getting one without a slideout.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nash and Lance are also well regarded. I strongly recommend getting a bunk model; good at resale time and provide good storage when not in use. I recently sold a 2006 Keystone with aluminum frame that served me well for 3.5 years even though it wasn't wonderful in the cold stuff. Replaced it with a 2005 Coachmen 5th wheel with aluminum frame and I'm very pleased with the construction/insulation so far.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nash is made by the same people that make Arctic Fox. It is a less expensive version.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by logger
Nash is made by the same people that make Arctic Fox. It is a less expensive version.

+1, I have a 28 ft single slide out - 4 seasons and off the road rated. Haven't been in the minus degrees but in single digits has been warm enough. In the cold we only move the slide out enough to get in and out of the dinette easily, less exposure to the cold.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Washboard road is what kills travel trailers. Some points to ponder. Double axle with 225/75/15 load rang E tires. Heat needs to run with no electric power. You need to use the trailer dry. Use water jugs not the tanks. Camp where there is an outhouse or bring your own privy. LED lights. two 7 or 10 gallon propane tanks. Leaf spring suspension. Strap the battery down real well.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an arctic fox and it fends off cold SOOOOO much better than most other brands that I am never sad about the extra bucks it cost me.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yep, Arctic Fox, Nash and OutdoorsRV seem to be the leaders. Liked the OutdoorsRV 20 RD. Almost bought it but didn’t care for the salesman or the dealership. The Arctic Foxes I looked at were great but the only models,they had in stock were way too big for my needs. Bigfoots seem to be rare and pricey.

Bought a Nash 23D and been pleased with it. Had it out with lows of 30 degrees and it did fine. Had it out at 95 degrees and the ac did great. Good insulation makes a big difference. Also got an 80 inch long bed in it. Don’t settle for those 74 inch beds if you’re taller. The salesman told me they couldn’t make it an 80inch bed as it came “as designed” at 74 inches. I started to walk out and he said, well, let me call,the shop..... shop guy figured it out pretty quick. Big difference sometimes between the salesman and the shop guy.

Best advice I got during my search was: “Make sure you don’t get one that will prove to be too small. If you have any doubt, go with the next model up in size.”

I looked at an OutdoorsRV 18 Db and decided it was too small. Sometimes, You can go up in length a bit and not see a huge increase in total weight. Usually the widths are the same.

Two men will fill up an 18DB pretty quick.

You mentioned a two man rig. If your party is 3 or 4,they can sleep in a nearby tent but lounge and take meals in the RV. Works out ok.

Longer trailers also seem to be easier for me to back up.

Edit to add: be sure to a good solar package. Two batteries minimum. 100 watts or more.

Last edited by TF49; 10/17/18.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I've been very pleased winter camping and hunting in my Lance 1995.

Last edited by achadwick; 10/17/18.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jnyork
Arctic Fox, go no further.

Dont even THINK of getting one without a slideout.

If hunting don't even think about getting one WITH a slideout. Nothing like a foot of snow to find the leaks that is common in slideouts (yes, sometimes a slideout doesn't leak, but they seem to be exceptions).

And better yet, after the snow melts a little, then freezes, getting the slideout to slide back IN can be quite the challenge. Besides the complexity, slideouts increase weight.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I own a Artic Fox 27T, great 4 season trailer. Nash is same trailer with slightly cheaper interior.
They are one of the few that make their own frame. Which is heavier than others. Can,t go wrong
with a Artic Fox.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ro1459
If you are going to be hunting in a really cold weather environment not all TT's are made to withstand the cold. Even with a propane heater it will be cold inside. I took mine to Colorado one year and never could get it warm. My tent is much warmer. I hope you have better luck than I did. BTW...mine has the Polar package. They just aren't made for real cold. Also, if you have water in the holding tank, unless that tank is heated, the water will freeze. As well as any water in the lines.

That...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O

Last edited by Omnivorous; 10/18/18.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image]
We really like our Nortwoods Nash, although only been in about 26 degree weather.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Me and my son bought a FEMA 28 ft camper ,used it last year on hunting lease in tenn.very well pleased,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (160user, 1minute, 1234, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,957
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.