Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have had mine since last winter. The first one I received had a rough action and was sent back drastically improved. Since then I have had sparse time to work up loads or test factory ammo. I was wondering if anyone here was shooting a Henry Long Ranger in .308 and what bullet weights it prefers and loads if available. I had a BLR in .308 for years and took a lot of game with it, but I think this Henry is certainly its equal.

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I shot a nearly new 243 recently. The drop in the stock makes it difficult to scope it low enough for me.

The trigger pull was smooth , and with 80 gr loads it shot very well . It did not shoot 100 gr bullets well which is surprising since it has a 1 in 10 twist.

Just my .02 cents worth,

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have shot my Long Ranger in .308 for several weekends now. It is hanging right at inch with 44 grains IMR 4064 and a 150 grain Sierra. It seems to put 2 on top of each and the 3rd out to an inch. I blame myself for that because of an accident and the healing of a shattered leg I could not shoot for 4 months. My bolt guns are doing the same right now with proven loads so I think that that I am the culprit.
I really like this rifle, feed and function as well as the trigger is great. I have a steel frame BLR as well and seem to reach for the Long Ranger more. I wanted to compare side by side, keeping both and I will let the kids figure our which one to keep when I am gone.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks, guys. cbennett, I used a .308 BLR for years and also had BLRs in 7-08, .300WSM, and .358. I like this Henry as well as any of them, I am hoping to find a good 150-grain load that has suitable terminal results. As the hunt I am preparing for is an early season wilderness elk hunt I will likely use a Nosler or a Barnes or even a bullet from one of the boutique bullet makers like Lehigh Defense or Hammer. I have some Sierra Game Changers and may give them another try. I began testing this rifle with a smaller Leupold because I liked the aesthetics, but that was a waste of time as my aging eyes need more magnification.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I purchased one a few weeks ago. It would shoot groups, the best of which were about 4" at 100 yards. The barrel was not free floated as was advertised. It also had ejection/extraction issues. I sent it back. After several weeks the rifle was replaced. The new rifle has a free floated barrel and appears to be much smoother than the original. I have not had the chance to scope the gun and shoot it. Will do so this coming week.

Note that I had cut the stock back on the original gun to fit my requirement for a short length of pull. Henry Customer Service, while replacing the gun, sent my shortened stock back to me as well in a separate box. Nice touch. I expect the new rifle will do well.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My buddie just picked up a 243, and loves it! has some very nice fig. in the stocks! I looked a a 308, had better than average wood, nice and light, I was temped!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I got to the range with my replacement Henry Long Ranger. This one is doing well and I expect it will do even better with some more rounds down range. No extraction or ejection issues on this one.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 70 invisible), 3,313 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,484
Posts18,471,837
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.