Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
We inherited our daughters black lab. She learned commands quickly and is family oriented and protective. We are looking at getting another big dog . Are the other color phases the same ,chocalate, golden . Are they all family oriented and protective as our black. Well get another black if this is common to them, but would like to try another color phase if attitude is the same. What is yall's experience.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lab is Lab. what you have is most likely what you will get with another color phase. of course each is individual. we have a yellow and a chocolate.. both typical batshitcrazy labs. love them both deeply !!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm in NO way as knowledgeable as Ingwe but I can tell you my old yellow lab was everything that you described. When my son was little and in the yard if anything was amiss, that dog was glued to that kid's hip. If someone the dog didn't know was around that dog stayed between that person and the kid. Nothing aggressive or threatening but there.If I had the time and space a lab of any color phase would be in consideration.

Last edited by bkraft; 10/19/18.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I am nowhere near as old as ingwe but he is not likely to tell you call labs are created equal.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The brindle ones get really assy around strangers with beards

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It’s about blood line more than color.

Most labs are affectionate, some are skittish, some are not, ...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just a point of order..... there are no "golden" Labs. yellow (which can be almost white), chocolate, and black.
Golden Retriever is a whole nuther dog.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Personality traits are not linked to genes responsible for coat color

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Welcome back, you got the tater tots....right?"

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ve had em all, except silver and been around lots of others, never seen a bad one...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have had a couple labs... every one lived for just me... their whole world was me and what we were doing next...

Color was the last thing I was worried about... that being said... I have yet to find a brown Labrador I liked... Some really good blacks... some really good yellows.

If you can, stay away from the field trial lines... they are crazy hyper... goodness how I know crazy hyper....

Don't get hung up on the color... and good luck...

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a black and a chocolate. The black one was a gift to my kid's from a family member and is incredible. Our chocolate came from Texas and is freaky nuts at times. He is just over two years old and is still just an oversized puppy. Both have proven to be great hunters. Molly (my 5 yr old black girl) has learned the family in and outs and knows not to bark at MOM for any reason, even when she comes back in the house at 5:30am form her exercise class. Bear (the kid's 2yr old Chocolate Male) is nuts. Nothing and I mean nothing comes in the house or around it without him on full alert. God I love them both, they are truly part of the family.

CK
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Texczech
We inherited our daughters black lab. She learned commands quickly and is family oriented and protective. We are looking at getting another big dog . Are the other color phases the same ,chocalate, golden . Are they all family oriented and protective as our black. Well get another black if this is common to them, but would like to try another color phase if attitude is the same. What is yall's experience.

I’ve raised a few. Can’t go wrong with a black lab.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've got my yellow Lab. He's got some very good field trial dogs in his linage. He's a very good fellow and has never met a stranger. He's got to introduce himself to everybody that shows up,....won't leave them alone.

He's extremely smart. He's also very spirited. He's usually calm around the house when he's just doing his routine, but if something stimulates him,....like a visitor, or the tennis ball chucker getting taken down off the mantle, he's starts bouncing off the wall.

He doesn't have a mean bone in his body. I've never seen his display anger. But he can be a handful at times just because he's so excitable.

He'll chase and retrieve a tennis ball to the point of exhaustion,,...so I take him out and run him into the ground once or twice a day just to wear him out.

He's still young,..20 months.

I'm hoping he calms down eventually.

For all of that,...he's a happy boy. His typical demeanor is a wagging tail and a big doggy smile on his face.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For the OP

Ive had chocos, yellows, blacks

I have a female that is extra protective and nippy with dogs outside our pack. She's welcoming to visitors.

Doesn't have anything to do with her coat color. She just has her own personality.

All of my males over the years have been easy-going with delivery people and visitors.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by slumlord
"Welcome back, you got the tater tots....right?"

[Linked Image]

First, cut his nails.

Next, Lab Color is meaningless to behavior... follow the genetics.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have to call bull. Black is dominant in brains also. go to a field trial, most are black. There are lots of good yellows but darn few good brown ones. If You don't like playing the guessing game get a black. I have had nothing but labs for 45 years and I used to field trial. Black is the way to go if You want the best chance to get a great one.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have another blk flying in from MN tomorow nite...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by boatammo
I have to call bull. Black is dominant in brains also. go to a field trial, most are black. There are lots of good yellows but darn few good brown ones. If You don't like playing the guessing game get a black. I have had nothing but labs for 45 years and I used to field trial. Black is the way to go if You want the best chance to get a great one.

Nah. Black is well represented in trails because... There are far more of them. Black (BB or Bb) is the most common allele. Chocolates have only been selectively bred in the last 100 years or less

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by boatammo

Don't know,....My Lab's linage is from up North. Lot's of good Yellow field Labs up there. Holzinger Kennels seem to have had their best luck with Yellows. My Lab's linage goes back to their Raider.

Raider's bloodline is all over up there.

http://www.holzingerkennels.com/dogs_of_the_past.html

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 300_savage, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,642
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.