Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
This pilot is "one with the machine". If he didn't get a standing ovation from the passengers, I don't know why.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty frigging incredible!

A couple nights ago I landed on a jet and told the pilots while getting off that I could tell he was an NBA fan the way he dribbled the plane down the runway!

One turned bright red, the other nearly swallowed his tie trying to keep from laughing.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was good. I was conducting an inspection on AF contractors last spring and I watched a contract L-100 land at a remote airfield with about a 45 knot crosswinds. I asked the weather observer on duty how come there was not a crosswind advisory out, and was told, we don't have one. Sure enough, they don't and still don't to this day. When I inquired about it, the answer I was given was, if we had a cross wind advisory for 25KT or higher, we'd never be able to land a plane here.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
First, it wasn't a Chinese pilot. TUI is a European airline that specializes in charters/vacation destinations. A 757 couldn't make it from China to Bristol, which is in the UK. Second, he should have gone around. The mark of a professional pilot is not making the dangerous landings but knowing when to go around and try again.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by UPhiker
TUI is a European airline that specializes in charters/vacation destinations.

That probably explains it. The pilot used to fly Harriers.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Wind was only 26kts gusting to 40. I didn't catch the runway, but unless it was perpendicular to the wind direction, then his crosswind was less that the wind speed.

He landed that bird in a pretty spectacular crab. That is a good way to blow a tire or worse.

I've seen jets landed in a 50 knot (not including gusts) direct cross wind with less drama than that.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I once spent a week at CGAS Kodiak waiting for flight weather to Amchitka Island and saw some amazing things performed by H-3 and C-130 pilots. The top of the military pilot food chain rewrites the book on a regular basis.

I am a reluctant passenger and can't even imagine flying like that.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Saw that story on another blog. Claimed the pilot was a new hire female pilot.

Last edited by websterparish47; 10/20/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"one with the machine" was right, hell of a pilot.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm surprised, I woulda thought "fly by wire" does all that stuff automatically now.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First, it wasn't a Chinese pilot. TUI is a European airline that specializes in charters/vacation destinations. A 757 couldn't make it from China to Bristol, which is in the UK. Second, he should have gone around. The mark of a professional pilot is not making the dangerous landings but knowing when to go around and try again.

^^^^ABSOLUTELY^^^^^

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Auger01
Wind was only 26kts gusting to 40. I didn't catch the runway, but unless it was perpendicular to the wind direction, then his crosswind was less that the wind speed.

He landed that bird in a pretty spectacular crab. That is a good way to blow a tire or worse.

I've seen jets landed in a 50 knot (not including gusts) direct cross wind with less drama than that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was a passenger on a plane that landed like that. Pilot told us a couple of times to tighten our seatbelts as tight as we could cause he said it was going to be rough. I'm thinking, "you know we could fly to Seattle..." I really puckered when as we approached I could see the runway getting closer out my window.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That was pretty poor judgement IMO to land that airliner on that runway. I would of gone to a hold till the winds changed or I would of gone to a runway more aligned with the winds. There no crab angle to input into the landing gear like there is on a B-52.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Looks to me like the pilot did a good job crabbing it in but did not kick the rudder at all.
An experienced pilot would have kicked the rudder at the last second and the plane would have lined up with the runway.

Basically this pilot just let the nose crab into the wind and flew the plane into the runway low and slow.
Was very luck that the plane did not break the Landing gear off and flip.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
That was pretty poor judgement IMO

IMHO too. I'd fire a guy for playing games like that with my money even if it wa within published limits

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Chinese pilot lands jetliner in 40 knot crosswind...

TUi have expressed how proud they are of air Captain Brenda Riepsaame Wassink... grin

https://goo.gl/images/Coemaf

The mark of a professional pilot is not making the dangerous landings but knowing when to go around and try again.

Dutch TUI somewhat prides itself on timekeeping....or on-time- performance.
from 86 air carrier companies...TUI ranked 10.

rated at 7.95 for OTP...#1 spot is held by Singapore @ 8.7

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We popped a tire, skidded onto the grass, scared the crap out of the passengers, grounded an aircraft for repair and inspection BUT we did touch down on time!

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I once spent a week at CGAS Kodiak waiting for flight weather to Amchitka Island and saw some amazing things performed by H-3 and C-130 pilots. The top of the military pilot food chain rewrites the book on a regular basis.

I am a reluctant passenger and can't even imagine flying like that.

mike r

Funny you mention Kodiak. When I saw the clip, my mind immediately went to Kodiak. I was stationed there for 3 years and had some interesting flight experiences. I talked to a pilot one day after an entertaining landing. With Barometer Mountain positioned where it is at one end of the runway and the ocean at the other, it creates challenging atmospherics.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by nighthawk
We popped a tire, skidded onto the grass, scared the crap out of the passengers, grounded an aircraft for repair and inspection BUT we did touch down on time!

Exactly! Besides, Bristol is slack enough that a go-around wouldn't take any time at all. It's not Heathrow, LAX or JFK.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 222ND, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 68 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,692
Posts18,534,541
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.