Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
IF a guy has cheap access, Texas is hard to beat.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CORDrew
Yea, I was thinking lower 48... sorry should have clarified

We can't play??

After three kids in six years and starting two businesses, I'm ready to start really taking advantage of what SE AK has to offer. Been a long break from the "big" hunts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Neb and S. Dakota are great!!!

SD has good pheasant hunting. Very poor big game hunting unless you want to wait years for a license.

I've only had one license in SD for Elk in my life time. Deer licenses used to be available on demand in the Black Hills. Not any more. I've hunted deer and in some states elk from New York to Idaho. From the Mexico border to the Canadian border. I'd say SD has the worst chance of getting a tag of any state I've hunted and I live in SD. I apply for East River, West River, Muzzle loader, Antelope, Elk, Black Hills. Custer State Park and various other state parks. I also apply for mountain goat. I get an antelope tag now and then. Never got a goat tag. No black bear in SD (GF&P personnel either kill them or tranquilize them and move then out of state.)

Getting a license is very iffy. - for big game, SD has poor opportunities! I pay out-of-state fees for hunting elk and deer in WY and have had very good luck getting tags in the past few years.

I think that in the lower 48, Montana is the best and Wyoming the second best. Unless you want many deer tags in one year, then there are states where you can get a tag a day, use dogs, etc.

Lol, yeah SD sucks. Last year I shot three bucks over 130" and two elk (one was out of state) my wife and I ended up killing 6 deer, 2 antelope and an elk within the state. We didn't fill our 4 archery tags. This state sucks for hunting opportunity. I could only hunt Sept 1- Jan 1 this year. Not counting the 6 turkey tags I had and phenomenal walleye fishing.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Neb and S. Dakota are great!!!

SD has good pheasant hunting. Very poor big game hunting unless you want to wait years for a license.

I've only had one license in SD for Elk in my life time. Deer licenses used to be available on demand in the Black Hills. Not any more. I've hunted deer and in some states elk from New York to Idaho. From the Mexico border to the Canadian border. I'd say SD has the worst chance of getting a tag of any state I've hunted and I live in SD. I apply for East River, West River, Muzzle loader, Antelope, Elk, Black Hills. Custer State Park and various other state parks. I also apply for mountain goat. I get an antelope tag now and then. Never got a goat tag. No black bear in SD (GF&P personnel either kill them or tranquilize them and move then out of state.)

Getting a license is very iffy. - for big game, SD has poor opportunities! I pay out-of-state fees for hunting elk and deer in WY and have had very good luck getting tags in the past few years.

I think that in the lower 48, Montana is the best and Wyoming the second best. Unless you want many deer tags in one year, then there are states where you can get a tag a day, use dogs, etc.

Lol, yeah SD sucks. Last year I shot three bucks over 130" and two elk (one was out of state) my wife and I ended up killing 6 deer, 2 antelope and an elk within the state. We didn't fill our 4 archery tags. This state sucks for hunting opportunity. I could only hunt Sept 1- Jan 1 this year. Not counting the 6 turkey tags I had and phenomenal walleye fishing.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Hands down, Colorado is the best choice.

LOL!!

Hahaha Colorado sucks! Lived there for a decade

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It must've sucked so bad you named yourself after it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah I did. Ten years ago. And it's still so awesome, all hunters should go there rather than Wyoming or South Dakota. I agree, Colorado is the place you wanna hunt. Hands down.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's not the best and one of the reasons it's not is because we have so many non-residents who come here to hunt.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Montana

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it were me, I'd looking and hard at Wyoming.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, you've gotta look hard in WYoming, and squint, on account of it's always so windy......

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Haven’t lived in Texas in a long time and when I did I was in the military. So I hunted on military property where it was allowed. But last I knew there was a bunch of military installations in Texas so that could be an option if you lived in Texas and need access for hunting.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

What people don’t understand is that it isn’t their favorite animal as much as diversity. There are 10 Big game species you can hunt in Montana, Alaska can’t make that claim let alone any other state in the lower 48. Big game was the question, but birds, small game and fish are still more diverse than anywhere else.

The best part about Montana is there is no economy and the cost of living is high so it keeps the riff-raff to a minimum...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
To each his own. Diversity is good but numbers of species are just part of it. Can you get a moose tag regularly in Montana? The other part of his question was "as a resident." If I'd grown up in AK I'm pretty sure I would've hunted sheep and goats regularly if not annually, with good chances for success.

How many people do that in Montana? If you're an AK resident, you can do it DIY, if not, you can't and it's expensive. Same with brown bears. How often can you hunt brown bears in Montana?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel

What people don’t understand is that it isn’t their favorite animal as much as diversity. There are 10 Big game species you can hunt in Montana, Alaska can’t make that claim let alone any other state in the lower 48. Big game was the question, but birds, small game and fish are still more diverse than anywhere else.

The best part about Montana is there is no economy and the cost of living is high so it keeps the riff-raff to a minimum...

Texas only has about 75 species to hunt, but like I said in my first post on this subject, access can be a problem. Paying for that access helps keep the riff raff outa here too as far as hunting goes. Tags are readily available for most all of them except desert bighorn.

Last edited by JGRaider; 10/23/18.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
To each his own. Diversity is good but numbers of species are just part of it. Can you get a moose tag regularly in Montana? The other part of his question was "as a resident." If I'd grown up in AK I'm pretty sure I would've hunted sheep and goats regularly if not annually, with good chances for success.

How many people do that in Montana? If you're an AK resident, you can do it DIY, if not, you can't and it's expensive. Same with brown bears. How often can you hunt brown bears in Montana?

You need to go to Alaska sometime and see just how big it really is. I won't argue the immensity of Alaska and the rugged beauty is second to none. When it comes to hunting though, you need a boat or airplane to access much of it. I have hunted Alaska and will do it again, but I lack the airplane and jet boat that you need for a lot of that hunting.

Can you hunt elk in Alaska without a special permit, or Mule Deer Or Antelope? I did shoot a Grizzly in Montana. It isn't just the species, but access to them. Texas isn't the same because of the locked up land and imported critters...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"Best" is subjective, at best. And I've been to AK and hunted there. I want to go back.

Can you hunt caribou or Dall sheep in Montana? Musk ox? Can you hunt grizzlies or moose more than once in a lifetime?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
"Best" is subjective, at best. And I've been to AK and hunted there. I want to go back.

Can you hunt caribou or Dall sheep in Montana? Musk ox? Can you hunt grizzlies or moose more than once in a lifetime?

My dad can beat up your dad, so there!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

in my opinion there are only a few states to live and hunt in...…..no offence to anyone......mt...wy...ak...id.....they all have the good and the bad

my problem with ak would be access, not much of a road system....but that's good....if you have the right toys.....its going to cost a lot.

no you cant get a moose tag all the time.....like ak….and even then I think the best areas are a draw......I have gotten 2....1 ak….1 mt.….

you could go on comparing them...but for me mt is where I chose to stay......but I fish and hunt ak also....the brooks range and valdez are off the charts......tough choice's…..I lived in wy for awhile.....never lived or hunted in id.....will change that someday soon for birds......bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I type way to slow......bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oregon or Washington is where all people looking to move somewhere should go. MT, WY, ID, ND, SD, and AK all suck and there isn't anything to shoot unless you're a millionaire. By all means, avoid those states.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, anothergun, 375sunrise, 14 invisible), 828 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,909
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.