Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by GravyMeister
Curious on the 1" subtraction, ...please enlighten on CostEffectiveness/ Efficiency/ PersonalPreference/ Cosmetics?

THANKS...

It's a balance/feel thing first. I'm 5'10", a bit lanky, and as a backpack hunter am a fan of more compact weapons. 22-23" bbl's suit me. The LA Barret with a 23" bbl is the same OAL as a LA M70 with a 22" barrel, and those are "just right" in my hands. Years back when I carried an M70 338 WM, it was cut to 22".

My Forbes 30-06 got the same 23” treatment a month ago.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
My Forbes 30-06 got the same 23” treatment a month ago.

Nice. No down-side for me.

A fresh, step crown done properly can't hurt, and a shorter barrel can often be slightly more accurate.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
.....and why the 270WIN, over other Flavors available in the Barrett LineUp?

THANKS AGAIN...

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Brad,

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after the season.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

THANKS AGAIN...

Only the LA Fieldcraft models are available with the no.2 Contour. I'm done with no.1 contours on lightweight rifles, and I don't like cartridges over the power of the 270 in a lightweight. Since this is primarily a backpack elk rifle, and the 270 is one of my favorite rounds, the choice was a no-brainer.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Caleveras
Brad,

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after the season.

I'll report back what I find...

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P

THANKS AGAIN...

Larry?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Curious on the 1" subtraction, ...please enlighten on CostEffectiveness/ Efficiency/ PersonalPreference/ Cosmetics?

THANKS...

It's a balance/feel thing first. I'm 5'10", a bit lanky, and as a backpack hunter am a fan of more compact weapons. 22-23" bbl's suit me. The LA Barret with a 23" bbl is the same OAL as a LA M70 with a 22" barrel, and those are "just right" in my hands. Years back when I carried an M70 338 WM, it was cut to 22".

...yes on the oal of the rifle, and as icing on the cake....it's going to be lighter, with the weight loss over the action, allowing a little more forward balance even if you use a heavier scope/mount/rings. Only downside is the limited OAL of the mag box...BUT....if it reliably drives tacks I really don't care how far off the lands I am.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Only downside is the limited OAL of the mag box...BUT....if it reliably drives tacks I really don't care how far off the lands I am.

Well... not really.

Magazine box is 3.420"... the bullets I shoot touch the lands well under that.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Only downside is the limited OAL of the mag box...BUT....if it reliably drives tacks I really don't care how far off the lands I am.

Well... not really.

Magazine box is 3.420"... the bullets I shoot touch the lands well under that.

...and if they kiss, so much the better!

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I personally would like to see Barrett release another new model. I think this exact combo would be awesome in a long action finished at 22" or 23" and with the highly useful "tumor" on the end of the barrel to quote Brad. I think I could particularly go for a 1:8 .280 AI set up that way.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Damn, would've loved this setup. I bought one earlier this year for a similar price with the 21" #1 barrel and would've loved cerakote. Mine gets surface rust pretty easily and has never been wet. Hopefully the Dyna Tek gun shield treatment will help.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine showed up today!

It is a surprisingly nice little rifle! I can't believe they can build these for $1,500.

I mounted a spare compact Nightforce in Talley rings and have it ready to go. It weighs 6 pounds 13 ounces as pictured.

[Linked Image]

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ChetAF
Mine showed up today!

It is a surprisingly nice little rifle! I can't believe they can build these for $1,500.

I mounted a spare compact Nightforce in Talley rings and have it ready to go. It weighs 6 pounds 13 ounces as pictured.

[Linked Image]

Spare NF!? NXS 2.5-10x32? I keep looking for one of those. Seems like a perfect combo with the FC.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, it's a 2.5-10x32. I have a couple of them, one with capped turrets and this one. They are great little scopes.

I wouldn't mind another one myself.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What’s the weight on the toilet fill valve? grin

Great looking setup and nice pic.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1.28 pounds. I think it is carbon fiber. grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks great Chet. Can’t wait to hear how it shoots for you!

Semper Fi
40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The add states the the firearm is Np3 treated, which I thought was Robar's proprietary coating, and cerakote, which I dont beleive Robar offers. The add can be read in a way that makes it sound like they applied cerokote over Np3. Has anyone spoken to anyone in the know about who did the coating work? Did they send parts to different companies and assemble, or find someone who does both Np3 and cerakota? This rifle isn't coasting much more then a standard fieldcraft, and looks interesting.
Not being picky, thinking about picking one up. More pictures that shows the coating and the stock would be appreciated.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 40O
The add states the the firearm is Np3 treated, which I thought was Robar's proprietary coating, and cerakote, which I dont beleive Robar offers. The add can be read in a way that makes it sound like they applied cerokote over Np3. Has anyone spoken to anyone in the know about who did the coating work? Did they send parts to different companies and assemble, or find someone who does both Np3 and cerakota? This rifle isn't coasting much more then a standard fieldcraft, and looks interesting.
Not being picky, thinking about picking one up. More pictures that shows the coating and the stock would be appreciated.

I think the NP3 is only applied to the bolt. Can't speak to how/when/who did what.

The price is excellent for this rifle. I really like the contour.

Sighted mine in quickly on Sunday with left over loads from a different rifle. First three shot group at 100 were all touching. Don't buy one if you're looking for a project as there's not much to fix on them.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 10ring1, 222ND, 69 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,575
Posts18,532,025
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.