Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Hey guys, a newby here. I was looking for a little help. I have a 22 HP that I started shooting a little this fall thinking I would take it deer hunting. I bought some S&B ammo to shoot and some reloaded ammo from a company in Wisconsin that used S&B brass. The accuracy was pretty poor to say the least. I started looking over the cases and found that they are all swelled about a 1/4” up from the head of the case. I reached out to a local gunsmith and he said it is a common problem and has to do with the European ammunition and brass. Anyone else have any experience with this? Thanks for the comments in advance.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”- Augustus McCrae
“It’s better to have it, and not need it; than to need it and not have it.” - Woodrow Call
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Without seeing the gun, I'll guess your gunsmith was right. Aside from the chambers in our guns tending toward the upper end of size tolerance (especially if the chamber was cut with a new reamer before being sharpened a couple times to where it was minimum sized), Euro ammo tends to be a couple thousandths smaller in head diameter than domestic .22HP stuff (one theory that I buy into is that it's from a simple translation of English into Metric). If the tolerances in your situation have stacked up against you, bingo, unsightly bulges. More of a concern to someone who wants to reload the brass than someone who just tosses it in the trash. Bear in mind also that S&B ammo is loaded a little hot.

Welcome, by the way!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 10/24/18.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks for the info, is there anything a guy can do to remedy the case swelling or just have to find some domestic brass?

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”- Augustus McCrae
“It’s better to have it, and not need it; than to need it and not have it.” - Woodrow Call
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think Gary uses 25-35 brass to make his. Since my local range lets people scrounge the brass buckets, when I got my HP, I picked up all the 30-30 brass the week before deer season opened. We formed 60 or 80 cases, forget which. We were losing a lot of cases till we found that if you take the expander ball out of the dies till the last pass with the HP die, everything worked well. Once we got the procedure down we formed and loaded 60 cases with no losses.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As for accuracy, the long 70 gr bullets matched with the slow brl twist doesn't help, either. I assume you plan to reload?

The small amount of S&B I've shot seemed to be brittle or had high pressure and many showed the bright ring around the lower case that leads to head separation.

Last edited by Rick99; 11/04/18.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (22kHornet, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 219 Wasp, 45 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,858
Posts18,517,729
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.