Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And from the other perspective..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My Dad instructed in the T-37 at Reese AFB in the late 60's. His theory for ground instruction was 'Tell 'em what you're gonna tell 'em, Tell 'em, Tell 'em what you told 'em.' He taught aerobatic/combat maneuvers in the Tweet. When he had a student struggling with something, he would make them the instructor and have them teach him the maneuver. They called the Tweets 'converters' because they converted fuel directly into noise, with thrust as a byproduct. Anyone who has had one taxi toward them would agree. I have applied that description to lots of other vehicles, mostly Harleys.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The Tweet made that awful piercing whine at idle. It was due to the inlet shape, and Cessna had a fix for it since the very beginning, but the AF didn't want to pay for it. Instead, it cost all of us at least some of our hearing. Counting my student and IP time, I flew that little dog whistle for five years.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sexy plane? I wasn't aware that it's possible to get laid in the rear seat of a fighter.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's not little, this is.

[Linked Image]

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You ain't whistling Dixie. The BD-5 is so small it's askeerd of mouse farts.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’d always heard that “flair”, as it applies to the Navy, is synonymous in the civilian world with “swish”. 😁

To use it in a sentence......

There was a Navy pilot and his boyfriend that when holding hands and walking down the street together everyone in the neighborhood noticed that they had an over-animated walk whereby they swayed their hips back and forth unnecessarily, almost as if they literally had a stick up their ass. 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The Tweet made that awful piercing whine at idle. It was due to the inlet shape, and Cessna had a fix for it since the very beginning, but the AF didn't want to pay for it. Instead, it cost all of us at least some of our hearing. Counting my student and IP time, I flew that little dog whistle for five years.

Did you not use protection? I’m deaf in my left ear from years of driving engines, aid cars and medic units. We needed to be able to yell at each other over the siren noise. 😳. Nowadays they have proper communication which includes hearing protection and an unparalleled ability to communicate in high stress noisy environments and where yelling commands isn’t the preferred method of incident command. 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Northrop made a great plane in the T38/F5/F20 series. Everything needed and nothing that wasn't. But it is time, and I think it's interesting as all get out that Saab is crossing over with Boeing on this one. What's their fighter now, the Grippen? That's a hot little dog, right up there with the Eurofighter.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We used muffs, but there's only so much even muffs can do, and you have to take them off to put on your helmet - with planes all around you screaming. Fly twice a day for years and it adds up.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, yes, Jorge. I know that Navy pukes have no flair - and don't flare. And also that I sometimes type the wrong word. But in the above post, I did both: flared with flair.

Good one, Rock.
grin

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i'm waiting for doc to let fly his mooney, i don't do landings and take off though.

If ya had been able to go fer antelope camp, I'da letcha. Maybe we'll go fishin' in New Mexico this winter.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
We have baby Navy pilots learning to fly at my home airport at Ingleside, TX. They paint their T-6's orange to give the rest of us fair warning in the pattern. But for the past little while they've been training multi-engine pilots, who are clearly a notch above in experience. They fly King Airs.

I came home about a month ago in my Mooney and entered a left downwind in the pattern while a Navy K.A. was doing some pattern work. The Mooney scoots along decently quick, about 120 knots on downwind, 100 on base, and 85 on final, and I entered my downwind as the K.A. was turning onto his downwind, so I didn't expect to see him until I turned onto final. So imagine my surprise as I touched down on the runway and the King Air roared overhead just as I was turning off onto Taxiway Bravo... They must have been behind me on my final to touchdown for that to happen, which means they really poured on the coal to come around that fast, and I figured I knew exactly what was what.

I keyed the mic on CTAF: "You boys don't have a gunsight on that bird, do ya?" The Navy pilots's response: "No, sir. But we like to simulate actual flight conditions. You have a good day, sir."

In other words, they waxed my tail, just for fun. Put a grin on my face, too.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
One other trick I used was to show struggling students that the plane wants to fly and you don't have to wrestle with it. One student constantly "churned butter" with the stick in the final turn to landing. I took control once and at the turn point dropped the flaps, set the power, and put in a few clicks of bank trim. Then took my hands off the controls. Lo and behold, the jet slid into the final turn, held airspeed and bank, and slid around the 180° turn as if on a banister rail. Lined up on final, I took out the bank trim, reset the power, and again released the controls. Didn't touch them until it was time to flair.

It came as a revelation to the young lad. In the debrief, he couldn't stop grinning. And he flew as smooth as glass afterwards.

How neat!!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket
We have baby Navy pilots learning to fly at my home airport at Ingleside, TX. They paint their T-6's orange to give the rest of us fair warning in the pattern. But for the past little while they've been training multi-engine pilots, who are clearly a notch above in experience. They fly King Airs.

Yep- the T-6 students are in their initial phase of training and have no idea of their fate yet (helos, jets props) . The King Air guys have selected Maritime and are in advanced training before heading to C-130/P-8

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
At San Angelo (my former home airport) the Air Force boys flew F-16's from time to time... I guess they flew in from elsewhere for training, then departed. I love watching those guys on their tandem takeoffs.
'

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At San Angelo (my former home airport) the Air Force boys flew F-16's from time to time... I guess they flew in from elsewhere for training, then departed. I love watching those guys on their tandem takeoffs.
'

I've never been there but should. My Grandfather instructed there in T-6's in 1947. It's where he met my Grandmother who worked in the squadron office there as she had moved off the farm near Brady.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
B-57s and CF-100s would rattle your ears too. More of a howl than the dog whistle. We had a few pilots that did assault landings like they did them in Vietnam. We called them "express elevators to hell". They flew angle of attack and planted them. The former Navy pilots were a natural doing them.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ain't braggin' about noise levels mind you, but if'n you want to hear "loud" sit in the left seat of an OH6 an let rip with the minigun. Muzzle is about 3' from your left knee. It rattles your guts a bit. If you're on the other side and the door gunner opens up you'll have a M-60 muzzle about 2-3' from your right ear. And when those things go quiet you got the transmission about 18" behind your noodle.

What? SPEAK UP!!!!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Pugs
'

I've never been there but should. My Grandfather instructed there in T-6's in 1947. It's where he met my Grandmother who worked in the squadron office there as she had moved off the farm near Brady.

When I was there in the 90’s the BX parking lot still had enough anchor points to tie down at least 100 aircraft. I guess that was part of the old flight line.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 222ND, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 67 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,692
Posts18,534,541
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.