Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Some people just can't get past crapco...

Back during the real rail wars, receivers were chucked up solid and weights were hung off the end. The amount of flex was shocking on some and it had more to do with the barrel nut/rail connection. For most of us it was probably pointless but for soldiers under severe stress of a fire fight, getting the barrel hot and applying pressure via a vertical grip often led to barrels bursting. That also led to the SOCOM barrel best I remember.

What's also important but seldom discussed is an anti rotation feature.

But I quit recommending things around here cause parts is parts right?

(Sarcasm font)

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TWR
Parts is parts right?

Sure are. .....Or at least that's the case on the one-way flat range.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So even on a flat range it doesn't matter that you can't put just a little more pressure on your gun without throwing off your 3 shot groups?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To most, it probably doesn't matter very much.

Formy is geared toward full house duty weapons, & in that context, he's right of course; there is flimsy, there is stiff & there is really stiff...............most of the better & commonly used stuff by many of us here probably falls into the stiff group, but not as stiff & robust as things like the KAC URX attachment system.

MM

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

I brought them up because they were what I originally suggested.............the UTG was a low cost option.

I don't know how you are measuring deflection of the rail, or how much "load" you are putting on it, but with the upper held in a vise, & pushing against the rail, I see none...............I suppose that you could beat on it & maybe distort it. Just checked 3 different SLR's & a BCM. Maybe I need to get out the dial indicator to measure it. laugh

And one of those guns has taken a bad fall & lick directly on the rail with no ill effects.

I don't have an ALG to compare to, but are you talking about the rail deflecting on the barrel nut or the nut itself deflecting?

Although it doesn't relate to the OP's original question, what about the new(er) Geiselle MK 14?

MM

For real testing- a 10 pound weight hung 10 inches in front of the receiver, measuring both rail and bore deflection in MOA. 10 pounds isn’t anything. We measured trained shooters putting 40 plus pounds on the rail when using a VFG.

The best rails will have less then 4-5 MOA of deflection. A BCM for instance will have closer to 8 MOA. Just resting it on a barricade with slight pressure to shoot caN and will shift a BCM 2-4 MOA. A DD RIS II has 8-10 MOA of deflection.

The rails with the least deflection are Geissele MK16, Hodge Defense Wedgelok, and KAC URX. Actually the LMT MRP probably has the least, but we haven’t tested them yet. The ALG is nearly as good as the top rails because of the barrel nut and lockup. The MK14 is decent, but a bit too small diameter, and the MK16 is better.

Rail deflection isn’t just about laser and irons sight zeroes. The rail deflecting is actually bending the upper receiver. Slight, but enough to cause bolt lug breakages sooner. As well there is a slight zero shift due to bore deflection. In general- short barrel nut with a stiff rail puts more pressure into the upper receiver when flexed. Long barrel nut puts less pressure into the upper receiver when flexed.

For just blasting at the range, it probably doesn’t matter for most. However, those rails I mentioned are “better”. Knowing what I know, there’s no way that I’m choosing any other rail but an ALG on a budget... or not in a budget- I have several mates that choose to use the ALG’s after testing above all the others for work guns.....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

The best rails will have less then 4-5 MOA of deflection.

Right there is the reason you shouldn't mount a scope with one ring on the receiver and one on the rail.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I brought them up because they were what I originally suggested.............the UTG was a low cost option.

I don't know how you are measuring deflection of the rail, or how much "load" you are putting on it, but with the upper held in a vise, & pushing against the rail, I see none...............I suppose that you could beat on it & maybe distort it. Just checked 3 different SLR's & a BCM. Maybe I need to get out the dial indicator to measure it. laugh

And one of those guns has taken a bad fall & lick directly on the rail with no ill effects.

I don't have an ALG to compare to, but are you talking about the rail deflecting on the barrel nut or the nut itself deflecting?

Although it doesn't relate to the OP's original question, what about the new(er) Geiselle MK 14?

MM

For real testing- a 10 pound weight hung 10 inches in front of the receiver, measuring both rail and bore deflection in MOA. 10 pounds isn’t anything. We measured trained shooters putting 40 plus pounds on the rail when using a VFG.

The best rails will have less then 4-5 MOA of deflection. A BCM for instance will have closer to 8 MOA. Just resting it on a barricade with slight pressure to shoot caN and will shift a BCM 2-4 MOA. A DD RIS II has 8-10 MOA of deflection.

The rails with the least deflection are Geissele MK16, Hodge Defense Wedgelok, and KAC URX. Actually the LMT MRP probably has the least, but we haven’t tested them yet. The ALG is nearly as good as the top rails because of the barrel nut and lockup. The MK14 is decent, but a bit too small diameter, and the MK16 is better.

Rail deflection isn’t just about laser and irons sight zeroes. The rail deflecting is actually bending the upper receiver. Slight, but enough to cause bolt lug breakages sooner. As well there is a slight zero shift due to bore deflection. In general- short barrel nut with a stiff rail puts more pressure into the upper receiver when flexed. Long barrel nut puts less pressure into the upper receiver when flexed.

For just blasting at the range, it probably doesn’t matter for most. However, those rails I mentioned are “better”. Knowing what I know, there’s no way that I’m choosing any other rail but an ALG on a budget... or not in a budget- I have several mates that choose to use the ALG’s after testing above all the others for work guns.....

That's very interesting information & very enlightening seeing that it's from actual testing.

Thanks for posting.

MM

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

In general- short barrel nut with a stiff rail puts more pressure into the upper receiver when flexed. Long barrel nut puts less pressure into the upper receiver when flexed.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but not this one point. If you're fixing the upper in place and loading the rail as described earlier, it doesn't make any difference how long the barrel nut is or how stiff the forend itself is, the upper receiver will see the same amount of load, and distort the same amount.

Of course there can be a difference if your different handguards interface with the receiver differently, but that's not what we're talking about, is it?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

MM

That's very interesting information & very enlightening seeing that it's from actual testing.

Thanks for posting.

MM

Yea. Real enlightening.

Thanks again for the post.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
the upper receiver will see the same amount of load, and distort the same amount.

Yes, in order for POI to change, the receiver, which is holding the barrel, must deflect, thus deflecting the barrel with it.

I don't see how it could be otherwise.

MM

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

MM

Form,
Any experience or general thoughts on the Wilson TRIM rails? I got one used a couple years back and was considering swapping it for a BCM because I like that thin profile, but might just leave it alone if it happens to be a better rail.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by seven_miller

Form,
Any experience or general thoughts on the Wilson TRIM rails? I got one used a couple years back and was considering swapping it for a BCM because I like that thin profile, but might just leave it alone if it happens to be a better rail.

I’ve shot Wilson’sbut have never tested them. Sorry.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Not sure why anyone would go Leapers or UTG when you can get an ALG rail for so cheap.

Wow.

Those have come down in price:

https://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail-emr-v3-m-lok.html

If you get a 12" Grey Ergonomic Modular Rail (EMR) V3 M-LOK, they are reduced to $99.00 plus free shipping.

Last edited by RickyD; 10/26/18.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ve had good results with Aero Precision rails for hunting builds. I’ve also used their enhanced receiver and rail interfaces, and those seem strong enough for any use.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

Form,

I've been waiting to see if a 9.5" Mk16 will ever be released on the market. Recently I read there were issues with the 13.5" Mk16 contacting the gas block, have you run into any issues with this?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by InternetGuru

Form,

I've been waiting to see if a 9.5" Mk16 will ever be released on the market. Recently I read there were issues with the 13.5" Mk16 contacting the gas block, have you run into any issues with this?

Not sure on the short MK16 release. Have some and they’re good.

The MK14 has gas block issues with some. Have only had the DD MK12 gas block and the Geissele. Both have been fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't seen any MK 16's rails of any size being available.................just an upper with it that is similar to what they are selling (supposedly) to the military.

Do you know who is offering the MK 16's in 13" or 15"?

Primary Arms has some pretty good deals on the MK 14's right now, though, & it seems to use the same length barrel nut as the MK 16 from what I can find out.

MM

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I haven't seen any MK 16's rails of any size being available.................just an upper with it that is similar to what they are selling (supposedly) to the military.

Do you know who is offering the MK 16's in 13" or 15"?
MM

No one. You can’t buy the rails as of now.

There are some within the military that are, or have gotten them....

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
very interesting regards the BCM KMR rails, I bought a couple of them and they are very light weight makes me wonder if this could be the reason I cannot get my 6.8SPC hunting rifle to shoot better than 2 MOA. Thanks Form very good info.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I fail to see how a KMR rail would bend the upper and barrel enough to cause 2-4 MOA shift by shooting off a barricade using slight pressure. I have a KMR and it is the easiest rail I've seen to flex. If you want to move something it takes something stronger than what you're trying to move.

I like my KMR for what it is and have not noticed a 2-4 MOA shift when shooting free recoil or loading a bi-pod.

It doesn't add up.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 204guy, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,842 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,851
Posts18,496,993
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.