516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I spent quite a bit of time and money moving to a little better binoculars or the best deal on decent brands. I found a steal on 10x42 Swarovski SLC and really enjoy the difference in performance. The Nikon and Meopta glass is certainly as good as you really need in hunting binoculars but seeing the different colors and hues in a deer’s hide at 150 yards is very cool.

I can’t say the difference has filled a tag cheaper glass wouldn’t have allowed me to yet but my picture of any animal is clearer and I am the first to spot elk way more often than before.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve had a Swarovski EL 10x42 since 1999, a Christmas gift from my wife. I have hunted with it extensively, in a wide range of terrain and climate. During that time I’ve had a chance to compare the EL to most of the other similar models from other manufacturerrs - Leica, Zeiss, etc. - and have never found a reason to replace it with anything else. The EL has never failed me, and I haven’t seen another binocular I would prefer to replace it.

Keeping in mind that my model was the first generation intrroduced in the US and that since then there have been significant improvements in the optics of the ELs, I would recommend the EL for the OP´s consideration without reservation. This binocular is a very good investment, even when you consider the price vs the lifetime of service it will likely provide. That’s been my experience, so far.

In my hunt last month in the Coastal Range in BC, the clarity and detail of this binocular at long range was impressive. I’ve sent it back to Swarovski once for general cleaning several years ago. They replaced the eyecups and returned them quickly, at no charge.

If I buy another binocular, it’ll very likely be another EL in 10x42. In places where extensive glassing and long range resolution are important, this combination of magnification, light transmission, clarity, and weight have confirmed my impression that the EL 10x42 is the ideal choice. Just my experience, YMMV.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I'd go for better glass over 10x.

I can't hold a 10x steady enough to use them for very long. 7x or 8x isn't a problem.

Also, optics technology improves quickly at the top end but takes a while to trickle down. A set of alpha glasses that's a few years old will usually beat the newest stuff from most lower-tier makers for about the same money. If you buy new top-end alpha glass with the latest technology, you'll be too old to hunt by the time that the cheaper makers catch up.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fremont
Just got back from two hunts, antelope and muleys, and began thinking about retiring my Vortex 8x42's which have served me well. My problem is seeing antlers well.

Did a little interweb research, and at least F&S (in 2017) had the Nikon Monarch HD 10-power listed at the top. That said, I'm interested in entertaining buying some nice glass that will effectively be my last pair. Zeiss? Swarovski? Steiner? Or, is the difference simply not worth it?

Yes, IMO, the difference is worth it to move up to Zeiss, Swarovski or Leica; Nikon is simply not in that class.

I went to 10x Leica's a loooooong time ago & would never go back to less for long range glassing over a longer period of time.

Nothing takes the place of a spotting scope for genuine detail assessment on animals at distance, but, IMO, the use of 10x makes more of a difference that just the 2x more than with an 8x.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I very much like 10x for open country hunting, particularly as I have aged. I recently returned from a Newfoundland moose hunt that reconfirmed 10x as a good choice.
I have several pair of binocs from 6x on up, made by Leica, Zeiss, Nikon, Leupold and B&L's. While the Leicas are a magnificent instruments, they are to damn big and cumbersome for most of my hunting.
A compact pair of Japanese B&L 10x28 Discoverer's have proven to be great glass for open country. These went hunting in Newfoundland and have proven to be a great pair of working glass in a variety of weather.
I have come to believe that there is no substitute for "hands on" when buying binocs. While lots of guys look down their nose at "lesser brands" than Swaro's and Leicas, some superb glass is offered by Nikon, B&L, etc. You can learn a lot by comparing.
But... you gotta look through them to be sure. Even more critical if you wear glasses.
In the interest of full disclosure, I am fully content to drive a Silverado rather than an Escalade. Besides, the guys at hunting camp would likely beat me up if I showed up in an Escalade.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just for the record, I've owned Nikon's, B&L's, Olympus, Leupold & while all are good, the B&L's are the only one's close to my Leica 10x42's & they are plenty small enough & light enough to not be a problem to carry around given a good harness or a bino pouch in my hunting jacket.

But the B&L Discovery series is absolutely 1st class glass.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carry 8x30 Nikon Monarch 7's and an old Leupold Gold Ring 20x50 spotter. I find that to be a great combination, not too heavy and very capable. The 8's are easy to use, have a wide field of view and are easy to find game with. The 20x spotter confirms what I find with the binos in a compact lightweight package. I have tried 10's, 12's, big spotters, you name it - this is the most useful combo I have found.

I should clarify that I walk a lot. The areas I hunt are Idaho mountains - 1,500'-2,000' of vertical and 3-5 miles is a typical hike. If you are hunting flat ground or from a 4 Wheeler, Razor, out of the truck etc then there's probably a better system.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you haven't looked through Nikon's MONARCH HD's then you are missing out. You can spend a lot more $ but Nikon's MONARCH HD's have been getting rave reviews even when being compared to Euro bino's. For under a grand they truly are tough to beat but do not take my word for it, look through them and then buy the bino you think will work the best for you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bman940
If you haven't looked through Nikon's MONARCH HD's then you are missing out. You can spend a lot more $ but Nikon's MONARCH HD's have been getting rave reviews even when being compared to Euro bino's. For under a grand they truly are tough to beat but do not take my word for it, look through them and then buy the bino you think will work the best for you.

Quite true. Great binocular. Nikon got a homerun with their HG

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Your eyes need to work over top shelf alphas and the top Nikons are alphas. My eyes like the ELs and I have a pair of EL 10X42 Field Pros that I really like. It is worth it imho to get the best.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I upgraded this past year to a pair of Leica 8x42 HD-R Geovids and have really enjoyed the versatility this hunting season. No more carrying binos and range rangefinder or fumbling switching from binos to range finder and back. If you can find a deal on them as I was lucky to do (thanks to Doug), they're hard to beat. They replaced a pair of Steiner Wildlife XP 10x44, the successor to the highly regarded Peregrine XP, which are built like a tank and have great glass. You may be able to find them for a steal.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just got back from two hunts, antelope and muleys, and began thinking about retiring my Vortex 8x42's which have served me well. My problem is seeing antlers well.

Did a little interweb research, and at least F&S (in 2017) had the Nikon Monarch HD 10-power listed at the top. That said, I'm interested in entertaining buying some nice glass that will effectively be my last pair. Zeiss? Swarovski? Steiner? Or, is the difference simply not worth it?

If you (in the third person) can't tell the difference from a pair of Vortex and Swarovski EL , SLC, or Leica Ultravid HD, you should keep Vortex or the cheap stuff. The used market is where the best deal on the "Alpha" glass is found. Granted there is some pretty good glass under $1,000.00 from Japan, but I can't get rid of my Swarovski 8X32 EL Swarovision binoculars and I tried twice...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Yes, IMO, the difference is worth it to move up to Zeiss, Swarovski or Leica; Nikon is simply not in that class.

I went to 10x Leica's a loooooong time ago & would never go back to less for long range glassing over a longer period of time.

Nothing takes the place of a spotting scope for genuine detail assessment on animals at distance, but, IMO, the use of 10x makes more of a difference that just the 2x more than with an 8x.

MM

This. when I sit and glass i use my shooting sticks to support my binos. 10x42 Leica that I bought from shrapnel. Glassed for about 20 hrs last week hunting deer in idaho. Good glass is expensive, but worth it.

W
W
At the suggestion of Doug I got some meoptas this year. I wanted a 15x bino. I only hunt horseback so the weight is a non-issue. I can't say enough good about them. My swaro buddies were impressed. My eyes see no difference between the two. I don't claim to have the best eye sight. I will get a 10x meopta next year for sure. Maybe not the answer your looking for but thought I'd give you my two cents.

Last edited by wyomuleskinner; 10/27/18. Reason: spelling
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I had never owned an apex bino prior to stumbling on some Swaro 10x42 SLC's at $500 off regular price November 2017. I have always used compacts - Leupolds, Bushnells, and others in the field and on the water here in FL. From the frst time I looked through the Swaros, I knew they were a completely different class of optic. The clarity and color resolution of this glass are mesmerizing. I'm totally spoiled now and could never go back to what I was using prior.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just some comments from a binocular non-expert...

I've yet to see a difference in my ability to hold any binocular steady, even with continuous use, but I have nothing over 10x. That ability could certainly change tomorrow, but I think many assume that a 10x binocular is noticeably more difficult to handle than a lower magnification instrument. This assumption is often just that and not based on actual use.

I bought a 10x42 EL Swarovison a few years ago and have used it on several elk hunts. Elk hunters know just how much glassing is done in a single day. If you think you can't see a difference between a very good binocular and a lesser one, use the the best one for a day. Try the other binocular the next day.There is a difference that is quickly evident.

I've never had a Leica or Zeiss binocular, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't favorably compare with or equal the Swarovski.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I was introduced to alpha glass (Swarovski) one hunt about 15 years ago. It was a complete game changer. I had 8 power Steiners prior to that introduction. I now have several Swarovski binoculars and optic equipment.

I live and hunt out West, and when I hunt, I often literally spend 8 hours a day with binoculars or spotting scope pressed against my face. Often spotting and watching animals miles away.

My experience is locating animals via optics is paramount to your gun or other hunting gear that many hunters seem to focus their resources (money) on.

You can't shoot what you can't see.

Like someone said above, if you can't afford alpha optics, get a tripod. It is the single best investment. Ain't no way you can hold binoculars up to your face 8 hours a day. My experience is anything 10 power and above needs a tripod for even glassing more that a few minutes.

Regarding alpha optics, my experience also is the depreciation rate isn't as much as lesser optics. You can liken it to cars - some brands depreciate at a higher rate than other manufacturers. So when you die or no longer are able to hunt, much of your financial investment will be returned.

My thought is buy by once, cry once.

Last edited by flagstaff; 10/28/18.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Just for the record, I've owned Nikon's, B&L's, Olympus, Leupold & while all are good, the B&L's are the only one's close to my Leica 10x42's & they are plenty small enough & light enough to not be a problem to carry around given a good harness or a bino pouch in my hunting jacket.

But the B&L Discovery series is absolutely 1st class glass.

MM

Kind of off topic but I have a pair of 7x50 BL Discover porros that are awesome glass. Too heavy to hunt with My buddy has 8x42 Discover roof prism and they are really, really nice. The Discover series are probably the best binos BL made.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don't forget, Black Friday is coming up!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 470Evans, 300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,486
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.