Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
OP Offline
W
When people refer to alpha optics they never include meopta. Maybe there is some obvious reason that I'm overlooking but I feel they are as good as any of the alphas and better than zeiss that always seems to make the cut. But maybe there is some aspect of optics that I am oblivious to?

Last edited by wyomuleskinner; 10/28/18.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They are an alpha. Obviously Leica, Zeiss, and Nightforce think they are as well, or they wouldn't have had Meopta make some products for them, i.e. spotting scopes. There are not a lot of optics manufacturers who grind, coat and polish glass in house, and Meopta is one of those as well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was just thinking that the Cabela’s badged S2 I bought on your recommendation has done more for me than any other single piece of gear purchased in the last several years.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston
I was just thinking that the Cabela’s badged S2 I bought on your recommendation has done more for me than any other single piece of gear purchased in the last several years.

I'm glad you like that one kingston. It is world class, period. I've had that thing side by side Kowa's 884, Zeiss 85t FL, a Swaro 80HD, and it takes a back seat to none of them.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
They are an alpha. Obviously Leica, Zeiss, and Nightforce think they are as well, or they wouldn't have had Meopta make some products for them, i.e. spotting scopes. There are not a lot of optics manufacturers who grind, coat and polish glass in house, and Meopta is one of those as well.

What does Meopta make for these brands? I'm guessing glass?

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They made the previous generation Leica spotting scopes, as well as the previous generation Zeiss T FL spotters, and they make the current Nightforce HD spotter. As for the Ziess and Leica it even had "made in Czech Republic" printed right on the end of the box.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
"Alpha" in optics is quite subjective and likely more defined by personal preferences/experiences than anything else. But the bottom line is that Meopta indeed produces some exceptional optics, and the top-tiered models compete favorably with anything else out there.

Like all scopes I've used for low-light applications, I do find fault with them. I wish their #4 reticle had thicker center wires. I also wish their 4C reticle in the R1 and R2 variables not only adjusted to a dimmer level but also that the dot was smaller as well. Those are simply personal grievances, however, and no reflection on the scopes themselves. From both a mechanical and optical standpoint, they are superb.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Perfectly stated

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Meopta is a relative newbie to the US market since the early 2000's. They have predominately been a mfr. for
other companies, and Cabela's has been the main one that they have made optics for. The agreement with them
prevented them from selling some sizes of binoculars themselves, one I know of is the Meostar 8x32.

Now they are increasing sales, but are still a small player in the big picture, as it takes a while to get established.

For me I have enjoyed the Zeiss Conquest scopes, made by Meopta, the 3-9x40 is a classic, and I can't replace it on some rifles
as it lets me get the easiest mounting for a comfortable fit.

I think the Meostar HD binocular line is very good, I have the 12x50 HD, and I regard it very high. They can have some
QC control problems however, so I will not call them an alpha.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
Meopta is a relative newbie to the US market since the early 2000's. They have predominately been a mfr. for
other companies, and Cabela's has been the main one that they have made optics for. The agreement with them
prevented them from selling some sizes of binoculars themselves, one I know of is the Meostar 8x32.

Now they are increasing sales, but are still a small player in the big picture, as it takes a while to get established.

For me I have enjoyed the Zeiss Conquest scopes, made by Meopta, the 3-9x40 is a classic, and I can't replace it on some rifles
as it lets me get the easiest mounting for a comfortable fit.

I think the Meostar HD binocular line is very good, I have the 12x50 HD, and I regard it very high. They can have some
QC control problems however, so I will not call them an alpha.

They have only been around since 1933. They have more employees then Swarovski Optic. They have been an OEM for probably all the Alpha mfrs. They are now going after the others with their own brand. What QC issues have you encountered? I have found real mechanical issues with Swarovski 1" scopes that had to be rebuilt so I guess they are not alpha. All the high end manufacturers can have problems , that is why they back their products and provide reasonable downtime on repair.

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m 0 for 2 on Meopta scopes. Loved the design, glass, etc. but something was amiss in production. Not saying I won’t try again because I do realize any company can have an issue, but I have to agree with the QC statement. Their customer service was excellent and that is really why I’d still consider their products.

Last edited by prm; 10/30/18.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by prm
I’m 0 for 2 on Meopta scopes. Loved the design, glass, etc. but something was amiss in production. Not saying I won’t try again because I do realize any company can have an issue, but I have to agree with the QC statement.

I am 0 for 3 on Swarovski AV and Z3 scopes. I will never buy another. I know that if I do it will crap out. I have had dozens of Meopta meopros and one meostar scope and never an issue.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My point was simply to agree with the earlier QC statement. Two scopes that fail in the exact same way after 8 and 10 shots respectively is a QC problem. Whether a company is considered ‘alpha’ is irrelevant as it’s a subjective measure. To each his own...

Edit: I personally think Meopta glass is pretty amazing and if I’m looking for really good glass I include Meopta in my list of candidates.

Last edited by prm; 10/30/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The problems I found was a flawed lens inside a 10x50 Meostar binocular, that lens should have not gone into any binocular, and its replacement came to me out of collimation.

So, those are quality issues. I am not throwing Meopta under the bus, but you asked about the issues I have had.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by prm
My point was simply to agree with the earlier QC statement. Two scopes that fail in the exact same way after 8 and 10 shots respectively is a QC problem. Whether a company is considered ‘alpha’ is irrelevant as it’s a subjective measure. To each his own...

Edit: I personally think Meopta glass is pretty amazing and if I’m looking for really good glass I include Meopta in my list of candidates.

3 Swarovski AV and Z3 scopes 4-12x50 model failed to hold zero within a box of shells. 25-06 less then a box , 7 WBY mag 3 shots and it was gone and a 300 WSM less then a box. So Swarovski has a QC and a Design problem with those scopes. Each one had to be retrofitted with a stronger erector spring. Why did it not come with a better spring in the first place?

Originally Posted by Farmboy1
The problems I found was a flawed lens inside a 10x50 Meostar binocular, that lens should have not gone into any binocular, and its replacement came to me out of collimation.

So, those are quality issues. I am not throwing Meopta under the bus, but you asked about the issues I have had.

Every manufacturer can make a flawed product every last one. It is the support one gets that matters. I have owned over a dozen Meopta scopes and 3 pairs of binos. I bought a used 7x56 scope on Ebay from a POS . It had a cracked turret housing and could not hold zero. Meopta customer service offered me a choice of a 3.5-10x44 or a 3.5-10x50 meostar since the 7x56 was not being produced at the moment or out of production permanently. I had a rubber eyepiece go on my 6 year old Meostar because I used too tight of a scope coat on it and my brother who borrowed the rifle yanked on the ocular part of it pretty aggressively. I had it back in 7 days and they retested the scope and said it was perfect. It has been used on Magnums and a 30-06 where it now resides.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They made the previous generation Leica spotting scopes, as well as the previous generation Zeiss T FL spotters, and they make the current Nightforce HD spotter. As for the Ziess and Leica it even had "made in Czech Republic" printed right on the end of the box.

Just curious what spotting scope they made for Leica ???? mine is a previous generation Televid77 and it says made in Deutschland on the box and on all printed material.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I am 0 for 3 on Swarovski AV and Z3 scopes. I will never buy another. I know that if I do it will crap out. .

I agree with you 100% , I will never own another Swarovski rifle scope !!!!!!!

On the other hand I will always have Swarovski binoculars......currently have 2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They are alpha, been using the shiit outta mine, snow, freezing, downpours without a hitch, and they’re every bit as good as Swarovski.... which means they’re better than sides or lieca...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I am 0 for 3 on Swarovski AV and Z3 scopes. I will never buy another. I know that if I do it will crap out. .

I agree with you 100% , I will never own another Swarovski rifle scope !!!!!!!

On the other hand I will always have Swarovski binoculars......currently have 2

The one and only Swaro A 3-10x42 that I owned went tits up during a hunt. Swaro's great service replaced the erector but when I got it back I sold it. Haven't used one since.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Judman
They are alpha, been using the shiit outta mine, snow, freezing, downpours without a hitch, and they’re every bit as good as Swarovski.... which means they’re better than sides or lieca...

Which Meopta you happy with?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (300_savage, 7887mm08, 44mc, 470Evans, 35, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,490
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.