Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
we have canned a lot of stuff, this goes back generations in my family always afraid of not having something to eat. And there have been times it was a good thing.
we have cases and cases of canned apples from the trees, and other vegetables. Quite a few years ago i saw a recipe of canning hamburger, supposed with a shelf life of over 8years. Every once in a while i will open one of those jars and it's still good.
In college at the cafeteria i liked something most didn't called sheppard's pie. A casserole dish filled with mashed potatoes, some meat, and vegetables.
So:::::
I have dehydrated mash potatoes in gallon cans i bought at a survivialist oriented store, gallon cans of dehydrated butter, our own vegetables and beef.
it works.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, after reading through this thread, watching a lot of videos on canning, and talking to folks who do can, and reviewing canners, I decided to jump into it with both feet. I bought an All American 30 qt canner, ball jars, extra lids, canner kit, ect. ect..

I thought why the heck are my freezers always stuffed so full, even after going through a 6 day period of power loss last year (late, heavy wet snow took down lines). I lost too many lbs of hard earned Elk that could have been saved by canning!

So, I want to thank you all, for what i learned from this thread!!

Respects,
Richard

Cat, the other white meat!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
or a basic $400 generator

Or a dc-ac power invertor hooked to your truck battery

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did buy two generators, 1 is a 15,000 wt for the main house, the other a 7,000 wt for the barn. Nither has any bearing on canning.

Thanks for your input!

Cat, the other white meat!
D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by J23
I haven't "froze" anything deer meat, save for a few neck roasts, in years. I cut out the straps and loins, cube and can the rest. The heart, liver, tongue, kidneys, straps and loins usually get eaten within a few days to a week. I cube it, do a rinse to rid the meat of excess blood, cold pack with no water, and into the pressure canner they go. I do pints because it's more practical, but my buddy does quarts as he has more mouths to feed. He uses a tablespoon of salt, I don't.

A few weeks back, I cracked the seal on a pint from 2012 (must have missed it in the rotation.) It was just fine.

I can a lot of potatoes, tomatoes, corn and peppers from the garden, along with jams, soups, sauces and just about everything else. My problem is, I run out of places to stow it in my little cabin.

Originally Posted by acy
Always have a bunch of canned venison on hand. I also have a dozen or so jars of canned squirrel meat. When boneless, skinless chicken breast is on sale, try canning a bunch of that. Makes for quick, easy sandwiches, soups, tacos etc..... Shame that canning is becoming less common. I figure my wife and I could live about two years just on what we have canned.

Care to share your technique for canning the squirrel? I've always wanted to try it, but never have.

I canned a bunch of rabbits a few years back when I was overrun with em. Just quartered em up, added chicken bouillon and hot peppers. Most tender rabbit I've ever eatin! I bone my old layin hens when they stop layin. Bone em out and a whole chicken fits in a quart jar. Excellent in soups and burritos! A chicken flavor you can't find in stores.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I spent the summer of 1973 up in the wilderness of Canada living and working with a big game guide. Lived in a log cabin with his girlfriend, a real mountain man.
We ate moose meat every day. Now, you whack a moose you got about 400 pounds of meat to deal with. These guys were off the grid to say the least.
They canned the moose meat. They had a root cellar dug down into the ground and they had many, many quarts of that canned moose meat. And that damn meat was just delicious!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
People up here used to can meat using buffalo schit to fuel the fire.

Safe and easy today.

when my son and nephew were little we made dried buffalo chit fire at Yellowstone, they were amazed you could burn chit. Good times.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10ring1, 1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,199 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,255
Posts18,486,342
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.