Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,730 of 1,842 1 2 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1841 1842
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Tzone you leaving soon for SD.. Good luck to ya...

Dam leaves all i been doing around here of lately. Starting to drag the blaze orange out for thee opener..

Starting singing 30 point buck song.. My 10 year old boy goes theres no 30 point buck. I said yes there is.... The deer was so popular they wrote a song about...

You tubed it. Hook line sinker..

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Ya mon. I leave the day after tomorrow.

Good luck to you and da boy!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck Tom. Is Jack going along this time?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Good luck Tom. Is Jack going along this time?

No, sir. He's going to be home. I'll be flyin solo on this one.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Here's a little fuel for the fire boys!

these are a few from Jack's stand. He's going to be about 200 yds from Kennedy and I.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
A few from the spot we call "The Hole"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This guy is the biggest one we have on camera. As far as a rack goes anyway.

[Linked Image]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/0edCach.jpg[/img]

Last edited by tzone; 10/30/18.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good luck Tom, on the solo hunt !

I'm betting Jack & Kennedy both shoot a buck.

They all look healthy & in great condition, save one of the spikes, that seems a little thin in the rib area.

Good luck Kiddo's !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thank you sir!

It's not completely solo I guess...I'm sure I'll have a whiskey with Ryan. grin

Jack is positive his sister is going to shoot that bigger buck since she's spent about 2 hours in a deer stand in 6 years. He's yet to see a buck he could shoot. He's seen a few and passed 2 shots he didn't think he could make. I can't fault him for that!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool pics Tom. That one pic with the two spikers in it-wonder if they were twins? Good luck buddy. Keep us posted. For us, the truck points north Friday morning as our cast of characters converge for Operation Emily. Hope to have pics and stories, but it's calling for rain. Gonna have to round up some useable rain gear here just in case. Probably taking your advice and hitting Menards sometime between now and then. Good hunting Tom. Get a big 'un.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I keep telling Tom he'll get a big one if he can stay off the trigger until Mr. Big shows up. tough to do, there's several respectable bucks around that spot. I know there are at least 2 that are big out there, with the rut just starting who knows what can show up.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good Luck Tom!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Camp Isabella will be on the move in the morning. Trucks are loaded and we expect camp to be up and functioning by suppertime.

Good luck to all and be safe.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by TJAY
Camp Isabella will be on the move in the morning. Trucks are loaded and we expect camp to be up and functioning by suppertime.

Good luck to all and be safe.

Good Luck TJAY!

And good luck to all the hunters this season! Stay safe!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One more day in the rat race and then off to go hunting. We look forward to this all year, and in the end, it passes so fast. Wish I was in a position to just stay up in the northwoods for a couple weeks, but I don't have the vacation time, or the money. Still hoping to buy land up north. Good luck this weekend guys. The weather sounds crappy, but the opener only comes once a year, so here we go. I bought a set of decent raingear. It's camo, so I'll have to wear an orange vest and hat, but that's no big deal.

Looking forward to seeing some pics on here guys. I hope everyone has a great time.

Special thanks to Northern Dave for giving so many of us a place to meet up here and swap our stories. Good luck to the Chickenbuckers.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Here we are, the deer hunting season of 2018.

I'd like to shed a little light on the subject of influence, impression, guidance.

When I was a young man in my early 20's I was fortunate enough to be part of a deer camp that was purchased and created by my father and his 2 brothers. Although I had lived quite a lot for a mid 20 yr old, being fresh out of the Marines, having traveled the world, having served in the gulf war, being married with one very young child of my own... I may have been ahead of the curve in life experiences for my age. But I had not experienced deer hunting and I had really not experienced the exposures to a group of mentor quality family figures that were ahead of me in age and experience. Being in the company of older role models and cousins that were close in age to myself, with the rest of the world switched off, tuned out. It was tremendously valuable to me. There is so much that can be learned in a hunting camp environment. Young men are impressionable, not only are they impressionable but they are hungry for knowledge. They may also be trying to carve out their own character, trying to figure out what kind of person do they want to be etc.
I'm not going to drag this out, partly because I don't have time lol. I have work to do. But I just want to remind the guys that may be reading. Lend yourself accessible to these younger hunters and camp members. Take subtle steps to ensure that there aren't a bunch of distractions such as tv's, video games etc. Try to create and provide an environment where story telling and engaged conversations are more entertaining than a smart phone. Listen to the adventurous reports from the day's hunt from the young hunters, comment, make suggestions etc. Tell stories, Have fun, be yourself. There very well may be a young person in attendance that is harvesting bits of your personality, bits of your mannerisms, taking notes of your ethics etc and inspiring their own paths forward in life with these little treasures.

Best of luck to all, be safe!

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well said Dave! Hunting teaches us so much in life. It teaches us failure. It teaches us perseverance. It teaches us hard work. It teaches us effort equates to success more often than not. It teaches us that you can function when you are not comfortable and sometimes you must function perfectly when not comfortable. The deer doesn't care if your fingers are cold. As it runs away because you made a noise, you don't get to redo it. It is both a casual hobby and an extreme addiction. Some grab a rifle out of the closet and march out to the same stand while others pore over wind direction, mock scrape setups, and feeding and bedding areas. It offers something different for everyone, yet require a basic set of skills for all.

I think of the non-hunters out there and what they are missing out on for this short season. They may laugh and joke about sitting in the cold, but there is so much more to it and if you haven't experienced it, it is difficult to explain and more difficult to understand.

One last thing I always post on the Camp Chickenbuck thread.....be safe with those tree stands. Both permanent and portable. Spend some time inspecting before you crawl up in one and risk a fall.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Well said Dave and Bman!

Good luck and be safe everyone and remember that no deer is worth getting hurt over.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Well said Dave! Hunting teaches us so much in life. It teaches us failure. It teaches us perseverance. It teaches us hard work. It teaches us effort equates to success more often than not. It teaches us that you can function when you are not comfortable and sometimes you must function perfectly when not comfortable. The deer doesn't care if your fingers are cold. As it runs away because you made a noise, you don't get to redo it. It is both a casual hobby and an extreme addiction. Some grab a rifle out of the closet and march out to the same stand while others pore over wind direction, mock scrape setups, and feeding and bedding areas. It offers something different for everyone, yet require a basic set of skills for all.

I think of the non-hunters out there and what they are missing out on for this short season. They may laugh and joke about sitting in the cold, but there is so much more to it and if you haven't experienced it, it is difficult to explain and more difficult to understand.

One last thing I always post on the Camp Chickenbuck thread.....be safe with those tree stands. Both permanent and portable. Spend some time inspecting before you crawl up in one and risk a fall.

yep, hunting advice is good too.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Dave for reminding us what's important this weekend. Good luck guys.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
OH boy, now you got me excited and our opener is 2 weeks away!

Good luck gentlemen (and ladies). I hope you guys have a great camp and maybe put some meat on the pole too. Take pictures of camp life and of course, da deers you got hangin'.

As far as big bucks go, my money is on Chickenbuck Joe. Here tell he's got a line on a bruiser with ol' forky toes DNA.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Page 1,730 of 1,842 1 2 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 9 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,730
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.