-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Have been looking at tall waterproof boot. Would like to test this winter so when my moose hunt comes next year I will be ready.
I am thinking the lacrosse alphabury pro .
My normal boot size is 12 wide.
I can't wear a high arch boot either.
When they say spot stalk style hunt I am guess I will put some miles on.
I don't mind spending money on a good set boots if I will be warm and comfortable.
Want something that is rugged and waterproof.
Thanks for input.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They're heavy if you're walking a lot. But warm enough for sitting for several hours.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a big fan of LaCrosse, and have been using them for a long time. Many of their models are 18" high, which has proven useful again and again. Most of the competition are less tall.
My size is 13 wide, but Lacrosse 13's work well.
I have been on 2 moose hunts in Newfoundland, and Lacrosse boots went on both trips, most recently, last month. They'll go again, if I"m lucky enough to get the opportunity.
I keep 2 or 3 pairs around, for different temperatures. You don't need the heavily insulated versions if you're going to be active and/or temps are above freezing. They are considerably lighter in weight.
However, if you'll be spending hours on a cold weather stand, then the insulation can be priceless. Weight is kind of irrelevant when you're mostly sitting.
The key to comfort in these boots, is good socks. A mid day change makes for happy feet.
The one pair of Muck boots I have tried, did not hold up well, or very long, before leaking and tearing, less than 1 year.
Got started with LaCrosse some decades ago, with the 12" version, as they were the standard in farm country. Those old "green rubber boots", stood up to barnyard acids (dairy farm), wore like iron, and were made in the USA. Their "ankle fit" is why every mud room I've ever been in, had a boot jack.
Still haven't found anything better.The new models, with neoprene uppers, are pretty comfortable, but less durable.
I'm not happy that they're now all made in China, but I haven't found a better choice.
As with most footwear, I strongly recommend trying them on before buying.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
+1 on the LaCrosse AlphaBurly's. I've used them for years. Good fit and durable.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tagging along to see your results. Just bought a pair myself for a Newfoundland moose hunt next fall. Going to give them a work out next month on a few pheasant hunts.

Brandon Gleason
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for input so far . I did break my LH ankle when I was a kid playing indoor soccer, so needless to say it's my weak one. So some type of support I am sure will help. I am always worried about if I ever twist it when hiking the mountains of Colorado looking for Elk. I always wear meindls ultra lights which give my ankle superior support. Thanks for the tip on the socks. I will go try some on .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been wearing Alphas for about 7-8 years now. I use them for moose hunting and fishing. Love the soles when out moose hunting and they're warm, but as somebody who has bad ankles, I gotta say, there's not much support there.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I about lived in the old green ones when I still had the dairy. They are heavy, fairly loose on the foot, and the old ones didn't have all that much insulation. Still use a pair occasionally that I bought just after selling out, in 1988.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would consider first gore tex hip waders and a conventional boot. Or the Ever tuff boot. The Lacrosse are good but you want the ankle fit option so the boots don't get sucked off your feet. Ask your guide as I have worn various hip wader and rubber boot combos and never have been completely satisfied with any of them.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Newfie guides on this last trip all wore some sort of 12" black rubber boot that sells for $50 or so in, Newfoundland. Said they didn't last, just bought replacements as they were cheap. It was not a brand I had heard of, and they had them hanging over the woodstove every night.
These guides were a tough, hard working bunch.
My parnters moose rolled into the river after being shot through the shoulders. Guide was down to his skivies, out there getting a rope on it, in a flash. He earned a great tip and our respect. No complaints, no discussion, got the job done.....tough guy. Thinking wet feet, to him, were on the order of a mosquito bite.
I would add that the cover in north central NL was quite different than the cover down in the SW where I recently hunted. Hippers, as Tejano mentioned, might work up in the north central. The stuff we were in down in the SW, short, thick, rough, and woody, would likely shred hippers in short order. Once it started raining, it did not quit. Conventional boots would be a problem as we were constantly walking in spongy peat and standing water. Walking through it was the sole option.
Virtually every moose I saw, was never in grass, alway in this knee-hip high woody stuff.
I'm sticking with my Lacrosses....... unless somebody comes up with a better idea.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Newfie guides on this last trip all wore some sort of 12" black rubber boot that sells for $50 or so in, Newfoundland. Said they didn't last, just bought replacements as they were cheap. It was not a brand I had heard of, and they had them hanging over the woodstove every night.
These guides were a tough, hard working bunch.
My parnters moose rolled into the river after being shot through the shoulders. Guide was down to his skivies, out there getting a rope on it, in a flash. He earned a great tip and our respect. No complaints, no discussion, got the job done.....tough guy. Thinking wet feet, to him, were on the order of a mosquito bite.
I would add that the cover in north central NL was quite different than the cover down in the SW where I recently hunted. Hippers, as Tejano mentioned, might work up in the north central. The stuff we were in down in the SW, short, thick, rough, and woody, would likely shred hippers in short order. Once it started raining, it did not quit. Conventional boots would be a problem as we were constantly walking in spongy peat and standing water. Walking through it was the sole option.
Virtually every moose I saw, was never in grass, alway in this knee-hip high woody stuff.
I'm sticking with my Lacrosses....... unless somebody comes up with a better idea.

Sounds like cheap Baffin’s.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,074
Posts18,501,513
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.