Print Thread
Hop To
C
CP Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
My 60 year old blue eyes are becoming more problematic during extended range sessions. For years, I ran fixed power scopes or never juiced up the power range on my variables. Times are a changing, and to really put up a decent target anymore I have to jack up the magnification on my variables. All my front line hunting rifles have the $400 to $1000 brand named scopes that frequently grace this forum. However, I have collected a bunch of safe queens over the years, and I want to shoot them with some reasonable level of proficiency at the range, but I did not want to spend a bunch of money to change out their name brand 4x scopes. In any event, I did a search on this forum and I liked what many of you said about Sightron. For $200 at Graf & Sons, I did not think a guy could get hurt too badly. We�ll see� CP.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've got that scope and it's a good value. You can also get Burris Fullfields, Bushnell 3200's and Nikon Buckmasters for $200 that will do just as well.

C
CP Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Gmack, I have no personal experience in this regard, but I did spend a few hours cruising through the reviews of the Sll Sightron on several forums. The upshot of the reports that I read is that the Sll is optically similar to the 4200 and the Grand Slam. I have a couple of old Grand Slams and more than a handful of Leupold VX-llls with which to compare it, so I will know shortly. CP.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a Sightron S2 4.5-14, and I love it. I am eagerly awaiting the new Big Skys that are supposed to be out this year.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've got two Grand Slams but no 4200. IMHO, no way a Grand Slam optically. I know clarity is somewhat of a subjective thing, I was thinking the value is in the guts of the S11. Let us know how yours looks to your eye when you get it. To me the Sightron is more like a VX-11 for $50 less.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you are into Grand Slams, try a Browning, You might just get a big surprize!

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
CP

I bought one of those SII 3-9s around Christmas time when our local B-Mart had a sale on them. With sales tax, which is about 8% here, the total came to about $183.00 out the door. I must admit I have been very impressed with it as far as clarity is concerned. I think Dogzapper nailed it when he said there isn't much to not like about Sightron scopes except that they may not be quite as good looking as some other scopes. As things stand now, I intend to try a few more in the future.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
C
CP Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Idared, I was a little surprised that the SII was manufactured in Japan, but that is just dandy with me. As the lights were coming on yesterday morning, I ran an old blue eyed test and watched the resolution of some brush in a cottonwood bottom next to my house. I alternated between rifles that had a Conquest, a VARI-X lll and my new Sightron mounted on them. I don�t want to evoke anyone's passions or wrath, but I will say that this two-hundred dollar deal was darn competitive. However, I did pick up more sun glare with the Sightron and hope that the new Big Sky model will have a longer objective to shade and protect the lens.

I then went out to Logan to dial it in, and the little .358 Winny shot like a house afire. CP.
[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
CP

My results are similar to yours. I give the Sightron SII I have very good marks when comparing it to rifles with a Vari-X III 2.5-8 and a Burris Signature 1.5-6 I have. I can't say sun glare was a problem but perhaps I haven't been out in conditions that would cause that enough yet. The bottom line for me so far is that when I compare scopes to the Sightron SII of equal cost, the SII is easily the best value to me. Even though I asked for opinions and got positive responses about the scope before I bought it I have been pleasantly surprised by how good it really is.

BTW,that looks like a Montana action on your 358. If so how do you like it?

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I also have a bunch of "SAFE QUEENS" with $400 to $500 optics mounted on them. I would like to know what scope is the best value. Is there that much difference between a $250.00 scope and a $450.00 scope? Im afraid if I spend less money on optics I will have nothing but heartaches....................547.

Last edited by 547; 03/22/07.
IC B3

C
CP Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Idared, the .358 Win. pictured above was put up on a Ruger Mark ll and a Shilen barrel. However, I do have a .350 Rem. mag. that is built around a Montana action and a Lilja barrel. The Montana action took a little smithing to get the feeding and ejecting the way it needed to be, but it is in the money now.

Below is a picture of my .350 Rem. mag. on a Montana action wearing a Zeiss Conquest: CP.
[Linked Image]

B
B
I bought a SII 3-12x42 with Mil-dot reticle on closeout. Bright, clear, sharp images, even at the end of shooting light. Lots of adjustment range too. The blue sky model with same features will be $175 more. Very happy with it.

Andy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 547
I also have a bunch of "SAFE QUEENS" with $400 to $500 optics mounted on them. I would like to know what scope is the best value. Is there that much difference between a $250.00 scope and a $450.00 scope? Im afraid if I spend less money on optics I will have nothing but heartaches....................547.

I own the following scopes: Burris FFII 3-9X40, Sightron SII 1.5-6X42, Nikon Monarch 3-9x40, Leupold Vari-XII 2-7X32, and Leupold VXIII 2.5-8X36. Of these, the VXIII is by far the most expensive and the Vari-XII has the least clarity and brightness - but I like it a lot - it's light, compact, and dependable. All of these scopes are capable of meeting the needs of most hunters under most conditions. I know people say you get what you pay for, but to me, the SII and the Monarch are right up there with the VXIII optically - the FFII might be just a tad behind. I really can't see a big benefit of the VXIII over the VXII (mine is the older Vari-XII). So, I'd say, unless you have some compelling reason to get a particular model that is only offered at the higher prices, then you're just as well off under normal circumstances with a SII, Monarch, or VXII. Obviously, JMO, and I am sure others with different experience will believe differently.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just mounted a 1.5-6x42 Sightron on my .375 H&H last night. It is better at low light than my 1.75-6x VXIII, probably due to the larger objective. I haven't shot it yet, but will tomorrow morning. Optically it is just pretty darn good, I compared it in the dark, wil be interested to see how it looks compared to my Conquest scopes and a 1.5-6x Monarch Gold that is very bright.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 204guy, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,936 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,611
Posts18,532,845
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.