-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Is there a preferred brand between these two for an AR? I have heard some good things about Wilson, but nothing on E.R. Shaw with respect to ARs. Opinions appreciated.

Last edited by 6.0 Turbo; 03/21/07.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Shaw has some followers, but what I"ve heard you have a better chance of a good barrel with Wilson. I've yet to see a bad wilson, one that won't shoot just under MOA. I"ve heard bad things about shaw now and again. Have no personal experience with them though.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I don't have any experience with ER Shaw barrels on AR's but I do have two bolt action rifles a 600 rem and a ruger 77 both with ER Shaw barrels and they both shoot 1/2 MOA. Fantastic barrels in my opinion.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've got a Shaw 16" LW 1x9 twist barrel on my AR and I'm very satisfied with it. It's quite accurate and easy to clean. A friend of mine shot my rifle and ordered the exact same barrel and upper for his rifle. He is also very happy with his purchase. I can't give any feedback on the Wilson barrels, since I've never shot one. MI VHNTR

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I should add taht in highpower competition circles, Wilson for a reasonable tube wins hands down. I've shot out a LOT of AR barrels, but only have 1 wilson. Its good. Really good for the money. But I know a lot of shooters that shoot Wilson only. That says a LOT about the brand.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Have owned both in an AR. One Shaw, two wilsons. My experience with the Shaw was not positive. I know some have had good experiences, I did not. Love my Wilsons, for the money I think they are hard to beat and if you look around a little I would bet you can get a Wilson for about the same money as a Shaw. In my case the Shaw was considerably more expensive than the Wilsons due to the postage for sending it back, twice, then finally sending it off to an independent smith to get it right which totally came out of my pocket.

M
M
I've used them and, in fact, just purchased another 11.5" Shaw for a new shorty AR-15 build. No complaints here and plenty accurate! I've also used Wilsons with the same results.

P
pru Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
When I called up White Oak Armaments to discuss my purchase, I talked with them about the Pac-Nor and Krieger barrel options, He recommended the Wilson tube. I was pefectly willing to pony up the extra money. What I got will keep 5 in 0.55" with good loads and 10 under an inch if I do my part. It does seem to favor heavier bullets, though yesterday I put 5 Nosler BTs into a hole that could be covered with a dime. Shot number 6 changed that and I wound up with 10 in around 0.8"

Wilson would be my choice again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm shooting a Wilson stainless, and I really couldnt be happier with it, very good value for the price.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well it sounds like the Wilson has a pretty positive reputation, so that is what I went with. 20" Stainless Air Gauged HBAR barreled flat top upper in a kit to go with my stripped DPMS lower. Now I can't wait to get it and get it together.

Thanks for all the great replies.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think it may6 be a coin toss either way between ER Shaw and Wilson. Many times a barrel that is run off near the end of the usefulness of the cutting head is inaccurate no matter who makes it. after all steel is steel it all is most likely from the same foundry, the billets all come out pretty much the same the boreing and the cutting of the rifleings and finishing is what matters. Tools wear out, some go pretty fast in the barrel makeing industry,so what matters is the Quality control and inspection.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (akpls, 7mm_Loco, 43Shooter, 260Remguy, 17 invisible), 17,284 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,879
Posts18,538,148
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
6 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.