Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Been thinking on buying an accurate bolt gun for Squill's and such, now that I've returned to the South.....I know the CZ 455 American is well thought of, but frankly I'm drawn to the fact that the CZ 455 Lux has some decent iron sights on it as well…...and there is the unique look of the stock.

Perhaps this is the start of a new illness.....and will end up with more than one! LOL grin

Florida Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The discontinued 452s and 453s are regarded by some as more desirable, and are still to be found here and there new, and of course, used. I've owned a 453 in .22, and it was very accurate, more so than either of my 455s, but that may be just the luck of the draw. My current 455 is a stainless .22, and I like it very much. For some reason the cheesy bent-strap triggerguard isn't as offensive in SS. It just might get a walnut stock someday.

I like the Yurrupean look of some of the models with irons, but irons are tough for me now, so I'll pass on those.

I found, as have some others, that the interchangeable barrel feature of the 455s is more trouble than it's worth, considering the reaonable price of a complete rifle. Folks who swap barrels out like to use a torque driver in hopes of finding and keeping the accuracy sweet spot.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If you like the Lux, then I'd go with it. All the CZ rimfires are generally pretty much equal in accuracy potential, so it's mostly about picking the specific features you like best.

A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by frogman43
I know the CZ 455 American is well thought of, but frankly I'm drawn to the fact that the CZ 455 Lux has some decent iron sights on it as well…...and there is the unique look of the stock.

Remingtonclassic has a 455 American for sale in the classifieds it that helps any with your decision making.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...7/f-s-cz-455-american-22-lr#Post13245057

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a 455fs, and it is very accurate. I think they all are. Pick the one you like the best.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thank you al for the replies. Purchased the 455 Lux yesterday, now just have to wait for the brown truck to deliver it to my FFL.

I see the advertisement in the Classifieds, however I found that I can purchase a NIB model shipped FFL to FFL for about the same price. These days, some FFL's don't LIKE to accept delivery unless it's from another FFL....

Appreciate the heads up!

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well yeehaw!!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have the 455 Lux, and mine is a lifetime gun.

BUT - I knew it would be tricky to scope, and it was. You have to mount low to match the low comb on the stock, yet high enough to clear the bolt handle during operation, AND the rear sight.
Luckily I have an older Burris Mini 6X with AO that juuuuuuust fits right. I would like it lower but that's not really possible.
If you can find a good 3X that's short and has no front bell it should work. And the smaller the rear bell is the better for clearing the bolt handle.
If you can find a Burris like mine I would buy it. Its probably the most scope you can mount without holding your head off the stock to use it.

Still, my rifle is dynamite and I'd go through all the scoping hassles again with a smile to get another one like it.

Last edited by kragman1; 11/02/18.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by kragman1
I have the 455 Lux, and mine is a lifetime gun.

BUT - I knew it would be tricky to scope, and it was. You have to mount low to match the low comb on the stock, yet high enough to clear the bolt handle during operation, AND the rear sight.
Luckily I have an older Burris Mini 6X with AO that juuuuuuust fits right. I would like it lower but that's not really possible.
If you can find a good 3X that's short and has no front bell it should work. And the smaller the rear bell is the better for clearing the bolt handle.
If you can find a Burris like mine I would buy it. Its probably the most scope you can mount without holding your head off the stock to use it.

Still, my rifle is dynamite and I'd go through all the scoping hassles again with a smile to get another one like it.

Great info, thanks! I was looking at a Burris 3x9 Droptine scope with the 22LR reticle. However, your comments remind me that I have an Marlin 1897 22LR with a Weaver 1x3x20 straight tube on that just might fit the bill if I care to swap. Was wanting a little more magnification for headshots on squirrels and such.

Which rings did you use for your installation?

Thanks
Frog

Last edited by frogman43; 11/03/18.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I really like my 453 American. Though l rarely use the set trigger feature, the adjustability of the trigger is very nice. Verrrrrry accurate piece. Son in law has the 452 American in lefty. The Yodave trigger kit made it a good shooter as well. CZ makes good stuff.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You'll start with your Lux and then look out........LOL You'll be wanting more. 452 American, Kadets, etc. They mostly all shoot! Have fun!!!!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Have both the 452 and 453. Absolutely amazing guns.... American configuration fits best

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Have both the 452 and 453. Absolutely amazing guns.... American configuration fits best

Plus 1

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You know I'm not sure. Burris I think. I'm tied up at least for this weekend but I should be able to pull it out and take some pics by Wednesday.
Ultimately the scope body will determine the ring height. Mine just barely clears everything. It's not a perfect setup but its pretty good.

BTW - plus 1 on the American being the best configuration, at least to me. That's what I was looking for when I bought my Lux.
I got that subtle vibe you get when you think you've got a good one in your hands so I bought it. I didn't see the test target until I picked it up (it turned out to be excellent too).

A 3X or 4X is a pretty capable scope but to me the ideal for a field .22 is 6X just because everything I shoot with a .22 is small. Lol
The American definitely opens up your scope options but of course you lose the sights.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Warne model 722M rings will work with most scopes. Usually around $30. That will handle bolt clearance. Put a set on tonight on a 452 american. Good luck.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thank you for the information. Was looking at a Weaver RV-7 Rimfire scope......seem's to have some good reviews. Looking forward to getting it all put together and wringing it out!

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My first choice would be 452 American. But, the Lux also looks like a fine rifle. Wouldn't mind having one..

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Razorhog
You'll start with your Lux and then look out........LOL You'll be wanting more. 452 American, Kadets, etc. They mostly all shoot! Have fun!!!!

This is an absolute truth. I started with a 455 combo gun, but it wasn't enough. Then it was a 452 American, a 455 Scout, and a SS 455, and now a CZ 512 autoloader, which absolutely shames a 10/22 for accuracy (out of box, anyway).
To be fair, that early 455 combo gun never shot the way I expected a CZ to shoot, so it went away. I still have the others, and four 527s, in various chamberings, too. CZs can be addictive, which is alright with me, because they all shoot pretty good, especially for the cash outlay involved.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
The CZ Lux arrived last night, first impression is that I like it very much. Fit, finish, and feel in the hand are all good. Stock even has some halfway good looking grain in it!

Will try to find time this weekend to try her out.

Thank you all again for all the input!

Frog--OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 45 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,238
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.