Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Ok, reading the KY or TN thread.

Why buy 101 whiskey, and water it down?
That's how they make 80 proof.

I like 101 Wild Turkey. Straight, or in iced tea or lemonade.
It's strong I get that.
But why do the aficionados insist they love strong whiskey, then cut it?

I not fighting here. If you like Shirley Temples, or guzzle 151 straight, I don't care.

But, what am I missing.
Water makes my strong whiskey taste bad. And then, there's more of it to drink. Batchy!

Dickel and ditch, please!

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like Jack with a splash of water.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On a really, really good whiskey, the best way to savor it fully is to add a bit of branch, i.e. water from the stream from which the distillery drew its water. The amount recommended is that which can be applied with an eyedropper. In some rare cases, you can even by a bottle of the branch. I've tried it this way, and frankly I couldn't tell the difference.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like mine clear and in a grey goose bottle

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
This got me to thinking since whiskey usually has water added to bring it down to bottle proof from the barrel proof. What would be the benefit of adding more water later? Here's an article that touches on the subject.

The Chuck Cowdery Blog: Whiskey, Water and You

An excerpt from the article:

The study authors write, "When whisky is diluted, the alcohol is driven to the surface, and many of the taste molecules follow it because they like to be in a slightly less aqueous environment." It is unclear if this is something immediate, that happens right after water is added and then dissipates, or if the alcohol stays in that state. And, if it does, does the same thing happen when you pour diluted whiskey into a glass? Or do you have to add more water to create the effect?

It sounds like it happens each time you add water, up to a point of diminishing return. The authors also make an argument against cask strength whiskey that doesn't seem to comport with the experience of most drinkers, who find high proof whiskey very flavorful.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shaman
On a really, really good whiskey, the best way to savor it fully is to add a bit of branch, i.e. water from the stream from which the distillery drew its water. The amount recommended is that which can be applied with an eyedropper. In some rare cases, you can even by a bottle of the branch. I've tried it this way, and frankly I couldn't tell the difference.

And Diogenes's quest is successfully ended! smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Bourbon, Scotch, Irish, rye, Canadian, vodka, rum, or tequila, if I don't like the taste straight I don't buy it. Gin and tonic only with gin. Top shelf gin or the average stuff tastes like pine needles to me. I can't do soft drinks and alcohol. Make me gag. My favorite drink is Irish whiskey and Irish Mist mixed like a rusty nail.
A good friend told me ragging on a man's religion, what he sleeps with, or drinks can start a fight.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
People who like their whisk(e)y on the rocks can save money.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will you have whiskey with your water
Or sugar with your tea
What are these crazy questions
That they're asking of me

Personally I never thought any amount of water frozen or otherwise improved good whisky. YMMV

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Room temp is best, for me at least. No water, no ice, no nuthin'. Good whiskey best at 68-72 degrees. Oh, and a friend or two.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Saving money or not, drinking whisky on ice with a little water added or not does make it last a little longer before you start to wobble. It just allows one to enjoy it a little longer in a social setting before unsociability sets in.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Will you have whiskey with your water
Or sugar with your tea
What are these crazy questions
That they're asking of me

Personally I never thought any amount of water frozen or otherwise improved good whisky. YMMV

Fugg, I'll be hearin it all day now....

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by rainshot
Saving money or not, drinking whisky on ice with a little water added or not does make it last a little longer before you start to wobble. It just allows one to enjoy it a little longer in a social setting before unsociability sets in.

I'm not so sure. From what I've seen, the guy who pours two fingers of whiskey and sips it straight often consumes it slower (and less overall) than the guy who pours the same amount over rocks and adds water/mixer.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by rainshot

I'm not so sure. From what I've seen, the guy who pours two fingers of whiskey and sips it straight often consumes it slower (and less overall) than the guy who pours the same amount over rocks and adds water/mixer.

When I make a ditch I drink it in a hurry! Way faster than people will drink a bottle of beer.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well, when I saw branch water in the title, I immediately thought of the oak tainted waters in the streams in the late fall, early winter, after the oak trees have emptied their leaves into the streams and lined the bottoms.....I find it very nice, after a day of chasing brookies in the smokies and settling in by the fire next to the tent and stream, to me, it is very enjoyable to cut some Woodford, or someting similar, with a dose of oak tainted branch water while waiting for the dew point to put out my ash......

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes I drink it neat, sometimes with ice, sometimes with water. Just depends upon my mood.

There’s things that keep me awake some nights. Worrying about what others think about how I drink my whiskey? Not so much

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I know, I know, to each his own, he bought it he can have it how he wants, it's nobody else's business, yadda yadda.

Nevertheless, putting ice and mixer in high grade sipping whisk(e)y is like cooking fine prime beef to well done. You may as well have started with Old Crow or grocery store select grade steak.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
So ice is ok in Old Crow?

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't classify Old Crow as sipping grade whiskey.

It's mixing something like 18 year old Sazerac rye with Coke on the rocks that stabs me in the heart.

Last edited by mathman; 11/01/18.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (anothergun, 10gaugemag, BallisticBRYAN, 15 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 709 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,641
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.