Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I didn't want to hi-jack Wabbie's farm report thread but I thought Sam, Jim, Wabbie, and the other poor mouth ( smile ) farmers might like to see how they do it around here.
I know it's not like the endless flat fields others farm but the land is so fertile and the crop yields are so high the farmers don't seem to mind.
It's also a lot prettier than a mid western corn field. wink

[Linked Image]

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Big plant for tiny paddocks
And in no way is my post meant to be derogatory, that is beautiful country.

Last edited by Castle_Rock; 11/02/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice!

Take a lots of loaves of bread to pay for that combine and tractor... wink

Bet there's coyotes there too!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I moved to SE Washington years ago for work; I was amazed when I got to Walla Walla area and saw the small grain planted on such steep hillsides. the guys up there call a tractor with wheels, get this.... a wheel tractor! many 1,000s of acres are cultivated and planted with crawlers, and the "self-levelling" combines are pretty cool.

SInce barge shipping is available on the Snake and Columbia rivers, it makes soft winter wheat readiy marketable to the Japs and Chinese.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have raked hay on hill sides where you had to ride the uphill brake,
if you left up, the front end of t he tractor slid down hill.

Have seen wagons wrap the baler around the tractor making too tight
downhill turns. Smaller tractors get rolled, big ones hold and only the baler gets destroyed.
One can spend a lot of money in 10 seconds here.

A hill on our farm destroyed a tractor, manure spreader, and ruined my older brother.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Always interesting to see crops other than corn, soybeans, hay, and oats grown.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sure was expecting one of these, a CA Moose.

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nice!

Take a lots of loaves of bread to pay for that combine and tractor... wink

Bet there's coyotes there too!

You know it Barry......If you can find a rock pile or some brush to break up your out line there's a pretty good chance of calling a whole family of Coyotes out of one of those canyons. They also hold a lot of good grain fed Whitetail as well as a few Elk in some area's.

As far as the farming goes....it must be profitable because all the farmers I see bitching about the price of wheat or lack of rain at the feed store when I buy dog food are all driving brand new $50,000 pick up's........and good for them...they work hard for it.

PS...they also grow a lot of Barley which is greatly appreciated by brewery's and myself. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember hunting pheasant, Huns, and chukar up there. some good waterfowling too, when the still water froze up and the streams were still open. I used to hunt the "eyebrows" (steepest north facing slopes you had to slip around when farming) near Steptoe, WA

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kid0917
I moved to SE Washington years ago for work; I was amazed when I got to Walla Walla area and saw the small grain planted on such steep hillsides. the guys up there call a tractor with wheels, get this.... a wheel tractor! many 1,000s of acres are cultivated and planted with crawlers, and the "self-levelling" combines are pretty cool.

SInce barge shipping is available on the Snake and Columbia rivers, it makes soft winter wheat readiy marketable to the Japs and Chinese.

Yea......the land in that pic is pretty flat compared to a lot ot the stuff they farm around here.
Just looking at it I'm amazed you don't hear of more equipment roll over's than you do.......like I said..."they work hard for it".

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't forget that a lot of that land gets cropped only every other year. The fallow year is necessary to build up soil moisture so they can pull off a crop.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When I was in college in Moscow, maybe 75 miles north of there, back in the 60's, most of the tractors you'd see were Cats. They've been modernized considerably since then.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch
Don't forget that a lot of that land gets cropped only every other year. The fallow year is necessary to build up soil moisture so they can pull off a crop.

Maybe in Eastern ID or up on the Palouse Prairie but I can count the number of fallow fields I've seen in the 15 years I've lived here on one hand

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Have not done that biannual rotation for several years. Everything around here is fence to fence three year rotations. Over all yield average this year was 117. High was 160 bu. to the acre. The machinery now is so wide roll overs are not very common any more. Combines are dueled with an outside width measurement of 21' with 40' headers. Only problem you really have to watch for now, which happened this year is bankout wagons full of grain coming down hills in heavy stubble. The wagons when they are full way around 70,000 lbs and tend to push the quad tracks around and jack knife them on the hillsides. Scares the willies out of the drivers because once it happens you are along for the ride.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BluMtn

Have not done that biannual rotation for several years. Everything around here is fence to fence three year rotations. Over all yield average this year was 117. High was 160 bu. to the acre. The machinery now is so wide roll overs are not very common any more. Combines are dueled with an outside width measurement of 21' with 40' headers. Only problem you really have to watch for now, which happened this year is bankout wagons full of grain coming down hills in heavy stubble. The wagons when they are full way around 70,000 lbs and tend to push the quad tracks around and jack knife them on the hillsides. Scares the willies out of the drivers because once it happens you are along for the ride.

That'd get my attention as well! eek

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Maybe in Eastern ID or up on the Palouse Prairie but I can count the number of fallow fields I've seen in the 15 years I've lived here on one hand[/quote]
Same here. Most people were half and half until we got the proper machinery to allow us to continuous crop profitably that was about 20 years ago. The soil has improved and so have yields. My soil has went from 2% organic matter in 1980 to over 6% now and we are in probably the best farming area in Saskatchewan. Canola Durum and Lentils are the big 3 crops here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saskfox

Maybe in Eastern ID or up on the Palouse Prairie but I can count the number of fallow fields I've seen in the 15 years I've lived here on one hand[
Same here. Most people were half and half until we got the proper machinery to allow us to continuous crop profitably that was about 20 years ago. The soil has improved and so have yields. My soil has went from 2% organic matter in 1980 to over 6% now and we are in probably the best farming area in Saskatchewan. Canola Durum and Lentils are the big 3 crops here.

That explains the change from when I lived there in the '80's then.

And it's CamAs prairie, thank you....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The old wooden RR trestle's are pretty cool in that area too.
I keep threatening to spend a day checking all of them out but I never seem to get around to it.
Maybe next year....or the next. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There's a lot more pix on the interweb if anyone's interested.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

And it's CamAs prairie, thank you....

Camus....Camas.......either way it's still just a root.

https://franceshunter.wordpress.com...ick-lewis-and-clark-meet-the-camas-root/

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Those trestles where used in the filming of the Charles Bronson movie Breakheart pass.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1lesfox, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,423 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,469
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.