-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only gun I have that I know the history of in complete is my Sear Ted Williams (Winchester 1300) 12 Ga. I bought it new in fall of ‘80. That gun has been everywhere and shows it. Originally had a Polly choke barrel on it but I swapped that barrel for a Winchester barrel with screw in chokes about 4 yrs later as the original barrel never would pattern to my liking. Ducks, turkeys, pheasant, quail, rabbit, squirrel, coyote have fallen to it over the years. My youngest son shoots it now days when we hunt but we all shoot it when we go to the local meat shoot. The gun I wish I knew the history to is my Win model 97 I picked up a few years ago from someone here on the fire.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Here is an interesting rifle in my pile of stuff. I’ve posted it before but worthy to post again. I know a little of its story.

It is an 1894 Win. crica 1908. It was carried by a USDA tick rider along the Rio Grande River in south Texas from 1910 to about 1946. It has had bunches of "customizing" done to it over the years. And believe it or not still shoots pretty good! I kilt a yearling doe with it last year. It looks like it might have been an original short rifle before all the customizing work. Reported to have been used in at least two shoot outs by original owner! Them was wild times! 25/35 WCF ctg.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kaywoodie; 11/03/18.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Aftosa Riders"--fortunate to have seen and handled that one. Reminds me of a lot of stories I heard around campfires on the Norias, the the el Sauz and the San Pedro.

Last edited by mudhen; 11/03/18.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Cool rifle K.. Thanks for sharing.. Any more?????

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Andrews,

Great idea for a thread and some great reading on a cold, drizzly day!

Most of my guns are pretty run of the mill, boring stuff...my Ruger Standard Auto has probably killed more critters than most having been used and abused in a butcher shop.

Probably the closest thing to interesting I have is a matched set of muzzleloaders, rifle and pistol, which were made in the early 1950’s by Cliff Jackson of Nedrow NY. They are target mz’s made with one of the first post-war Douglas barrels in .44 caliber. Jackson was best known as the gunsmith who taught Peter Alexander the art of rifle building. Alexander is the author of “The Gunsmith of Grenville County”.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
My father had to sell his grandfathers 30-30 during the Great Depression to pay for food and cloths. I finally found it after it had gone through a number of sellers and buyers. Tried my hardest to buy it back for my dad before he passed away. The original buyer who my dad sold it to was for $25. Even though it was a plain old 30-30 to him it meant so much to my father. After making offers to buy it for $100, $200,$300......etc. up to $1500 he would not sell it. I was told that he was a very hateful man that he had plenty of money and did not give a hoot about others. Very very sad to hold on to something that ment so little to him but so much to my father.

Last edited by andrews1958; 11/04/18.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

This one is stamped "Browning Bros Ogden U.T.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does it need to be a long gun? There was a pistol that played a role in my being here on this ball of mud.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Geez, I got lots of old, wore out crap.

Okay, but we are talking firearms and this is a family site. grin

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I guess that I will show another. My best friend also gave me an I W Meffert shotgun-rifle. One set of barrels for the shotgun and the other to use as a rifle. Trigger is adjustable as are the peep sight. The lever and butt were horn. Cartridges were kept in the lower part of the butt stock.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This shows the cover over the cartridges in the butt.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This shows the fold down adjustable peep.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I gave this to Henry Chappell a couple years ago. Henry is a novelist, writes for some of the outdoor sports mags, Texas Highways, Texas Game Warden mag, and does the writing on Wyman Meinzer's great Texas Ranch books of his photography.
Henry is the "Quail" hunter. He likes to Quail hunt with his dog.
http://www.wymanmeinzer.com/
To continue the I W Meffert story, Thom was given this by an elderly lady neighbor. Her husband was a Doctor that bailed out over Germany during WW11. He was taken in by villagers and was protected by them. He became the village Doc. When liberated they gave him the Meffert.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 11/04/18.
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Cool rifle K.. Thanks for sharing.. Any more?????

Funny you should ask. This 94 SRC circa 1910-12 came out of the same area as the preceding 94. But due to its condition I believe it spent most of it’s life on this side of the Rio Bravo. 🤣

All I know is it was a cowboy gun from the times of Pancho Villa. ( Also appears someone decided to reblue it prolly 50 years ago).

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kaywoodie; 11/04/18.

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I guess that I will show another. My best friend also gave me an I W Meffert shotgun-rifle. One set of barrels for the shotgun and the other to use as a rifle. Trigger is adjustable as are the peep sight. The lever and butt were horn. Cartridges were kept in the lower part of the butt stock.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This shows the cover over the cartridges in the butt.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This shows the fold down adjustable peep.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I gave this to Henry Chappell a couple years ago. Henry is a novelist, writes for some of the outdoor sports mags, Texas Highways, Texas Game Warden mag, and does the writing on Wyman Meinzer's great Texas Ranch books of his photography.
Henry is the "Quail" hunter. He likes to Quail hunt with his dog.
http://www.wymanmeinzer.com/
To continue the I W Meffert story, Thom was given this by an elderly lady neighbor. Her husband was a Doctor that bailed out over Germany during WW11. He was taken in by villagers and was protected by them. He became the village Doc. When liberated they gave him the Meffert.

That's just dang sweet! Cool story, and very nice weapon.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Both of these original Sharps came to Bozeman from the same shipment in 1877. They were ordered by Walter Cooper and came to Bozeman in 1877 to his armory that is under construction in this picture of Bozeman's main street in 1872. What is the chance all these years later to get 2 rifles from the same shipment...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Wish I knew more on this one. Bought it from my Buddy's gunshop.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I'm told it was one that was converted to trap door. It is rifled and chambered in 50-70.
I gave it and my Mod 36 Winchester in 9mm shotgun to one of my Grandsons.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 11/04/18.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The ivory sights and barrel stamp are other reminders of these gun's history...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have a great story on the subject. A good friend of mine saved and worked to earn a 20 gauge when he was a boy. I forget the make and model. Anyway, he was working a gun show a couple years ago and comes across a shotgun like he had as a boy. He asked the owner if he could remove the buttplate. Inside he found a piece of paper with his name on it that he put there many years ago. Charley is in his mid 70s, so the gun would be over 60 years old. Needless to say, Charley bought the gun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shrap, what calibers?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
6.5 creedmoor......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by jorgeI
Shrap, what calibers?

Both were rebarreled to the Creedmoor of the day, 40-90 Sharps Bottleneck...

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Damn nice Sharps, Shrap!!! Damn nice!

Founder

WS

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 257Bob, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 62 invisible), 13,379 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,161
Posts18,542,886
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.