-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'd like your opinions. I'm not interested in any other company, I've had many Garmins on boats over the years, and I'm familiar with their operation. I'll be using it for deer hunting, and would like a color screen. Thanks in advance.

Ready...go.

"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun."
U.S. Coast Guard, retired
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an older 60cs or csx unit. I’d have to look. Has a great antenna, but really tiny display and seems really limited compared to newer units.

I am looking for a new phone I can use as my primary gps. With the available apps and the ability of the new mobile devices, seems like the way to go.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
To keep it under 250, you're probably looking at the Etrex 30 for a new unit. I used an Extrex 20 for a number of years. It worked fine but the screen is tiny and it really needs a touch screen. That scrolling button is a PIA. The 30 has some usable improvements over the 20 but I don't know what they are offhand.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've been using the Oregon 550t the past 6yrs and it's been great. It's compact, fitting nicely in my bino bivvy side pocket, lightweight and easy to use. They're discontinued and the newer models are over $250, but you might be able to find a good black Friday/ holiday deal; or scour the internet for an older model. By way of comparison, I've used the Montana 610t for work and did not like it. Not as compact or intuitive as my Oregon and my biggest gripe is the supplied rechargeable battery doesn't last long and neither do AA batteries if used in lieu of the supplied battery.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have the the garmin etrex hcx and gpsmap 60csx. I like both but I find myself using the hcx etrex the most because it it portable and the batteries last forever. If I had to replace the hcx I would get the etrex 30x.

I use the garmin 62st and 64st at work and they are nice but I prefer the etrex for day to day use.

If I was using the gps for driving and mapping I would use the gpsmap ( 60, 62, 64, 66) series exclusively for their larger screens.

Last edited by berryns; 11/05/18.

"Venison vanishcth down the vale,
with bounding hoof and flaunting tail."
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks, gentlemen!

"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun."
U.S. Coast Guard, retired
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went from a Garmin etrex Vista with the black and white screen to a larger color screen Garmin 64st. The Vista was a little more intuitive but ate its batteries in two hours and was more blind than I wanted it to be under heavy cover. I liked the smaller size of the Vista more. The color and the built in topo contours in the 64st are nice, but its best feature is how fast it comes on even under heavy foliage because it positions from all the Russian satellites as well as the US satellites. The 64st has some upgrades that would come in handy if a guy was doing brinkmanship with private property lines, but I hunt big public state land and it isn't an issue.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
When you do buy a new gps get a screen protector and case. You won't regret it and your gps will stay in great condition.

"Venison vanishcth down the vale,
with bounding hoof and flaunting tail."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'd either find another $50 or wait for this one to go on sale. I've seen this one sell for $199.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Garmin-GPSMAP-S/1817216.uts?slotId=11

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,865 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,797
Posts18,477,411
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.