Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Especially the part about the loaded round looking good. Does any cartridge round look better than a 338-06? I think not.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Campfire tradition.
Basically asking "Are you sure you want to do it"
I explained the acquisition, it's still there because I haven't needed to sell it. And my comparison was by case size, so, 300Win.
And your right. I probably wouldn't go 200 in a 30. If I need that much punch, that would be the time I would go 338 250gr.

But, that's the fun and frustration in our available choices, and the choices we make.
It can go round and round. In 1906, they had a fantastic cartridge.
See my sig line.
The rest is just our wants.

After this '06 talk I bet you think I'm one who starts every hunting conversation with "my '06"
Have two, neither is a favorite rifle.
Don't often use it..

DB, thanks for the reply. I guess it is a campfire tradition and yes, I'm sure I want to do this. Do I need a .338-06, no.

Will I possibly change my mind and go with a different chambering, yes. I've always wanted a 6 mm-06 too.

I'd like to make another trip to AK and if I do this would be the rifle I'd take, if I have it re-barreled. I also like new projects, loading for and getting "new" rifles to shoot.

The .338-06 is just the latest on my list. You do realize you're asking why I don't go with a chambering you have two of in your safe but don't use much? I could happily hunt the rest of my life with just my '06 but I don't use mine much either, go figure.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by prm
Especially the part about the loaded round looking good. Does any cartridge round look better than a 338-06? I think not.

I do like the looks of the 338/06 Ackley Improved & 35 Whelen Improved the best.

K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
I was considering a 338-06 pretty hard. Had never really wanted a 30-06 because it was too common. I like things that are different just because I guess.

However, I ended up with a 30-06 and loading it with Hornady 208 grain ELD M's. I haven't shot a deer yet, but all summer my test medium has been hogs. I have shot them from 50#'s up to one a hair under 300#'s yesterday. Fragmentation on small pigs has been outstanding. Creating absolutely devastating wounds. There is enough weight that penetration has been excellent on the big pigs too. Nothing shot with it had moved a step yet. All have fallen over and kicked a little at most. I'm at over 20 pigs right now. Just did three more yesterday.

Recoil is stiff, but I cannot see the need for anything else. It has been a long quest for me, but I think I have finally found my perfect round for killing big and small DRT

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You're bored grin

Norma, Weatherby and Nosler brass are all marked "A-Square" because Art Alphin couldn't sit on his fingers during the SAAMI process to legitimize it.

I built one almost 20 years ago. Nice round. I find the 200 gr NBT, NAB and 210 NP ideal for it. My friend Dober has used his almost exclusively with the 200 NBT. Great elk bullet.

It's about the about the simplest cartridge to form from standard brass, and I think it's the best looking LA round ever.

However, I find no need for one for all the obvious reasons already stated.

Here's a nice article Finn Aagaard did on the round back in the day:

http://nitroexpress.info/ezine/NickuduFiles/Members-PDF/Aagaard-338-06.pdf

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the link Brad. Always learn something useful when I read on of Finn's articles.

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
Thanks for the link Brad. Always learn something useful when I read on of Finn's articles.

Back when writers actually did their homework.

LOL
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Substance in articles is becoming quite rare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, I did much reading years ago before having Hart put a barrel on a 700. 23"

Shot 200 NBT at 2910
215s at 2790
225s at 2675 - Hornady, Speer and NPTs.

ALL would shoot 1/2 MOA, using either a 6x42, a 2.5-8x, or 1.5-6 B&L. 3-shot groups.

Used WW brass, partial sized, and IMR 4320 powder, what my reading led me to for accuracy and speed. Absolutely flattened 2 deer with it.

Lastly, spoke to a guy in the ammo biz before having mine built. They had done standard and AI, and in HIS experience, had no gain in speed with AI. They took elk to near 400 yds, exiting off shoulder with 225 NPT, silver dollar exit, and no tracking wink The 210 PT works fine, but only saves a couple inches drop at long distance, but loses energy. I prefer its BC/SD. The 200 Noslers HAMMER deer at 2900+ FWIW.

Great round, more a "Push" than Snap vs a 338 WM, though that rifle was about 3/4 # lighter. If building one today, I would go no longer than 22.5", no shorter than 21 for balance. Blast is modest. I would have a target weight of 7 to 7.5 # bare rifle. Also, I would have a contour of around .650 min to .675 or "700 Mag" contour max.

They Kill well, shoot accurate, and modest on recoil, IME. Too bad the rifle choices were not more abundant like the 338 Fed at one time, and ammo to match.

Last edited by 65BR; 11/04/18.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Useless.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Useless.

Have another gallon...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Useless.

Idiotic.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Aagard's penetration test seems to validate some of the common sense advice for the 30-06 and the 200 grain partition.

But I can certainly understand having to scratch an itch, logic be damned.

Done it a time or two myself, including a Weatherby ultralight in 338-06

“Factio democratica delenda est"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I've had three .338-06's over the years. It's a good round, especially for those who want something different on a .30-06 case. But eventually I decided either the .30-06 itself (especially with 200 Partitions) or the .338 Winchester downloaded a little covered the same ground. Also found the 9.3x62 more effective with heavier bullets than the .338-06 or .338 Winchester. This may not sound like a real rifle loony decision, but there it is.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Very disappointing......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
Very disappointing......

If it’s “confirmation bias” you’re after, the Hunters Campfire forum is your huckleberry...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, that was topngue-in-cheek, just a response to MD's apology for not making the "loony" decision.

But yeah, I know what you mean, how would you propose to annihilate the caravan??

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Is there an animal in NA that will survive a hit by any decent 200-225gn bullet launched by a 338-06? I doubt effectiveness can be surpassed in any meaningful way. There could be better long range choices I suppose.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .338-06 and a .257 AI are the last remnants of my wildcat fling. The .257 AI is the perfect deer rifle for the kind of hunting that I do, but the .338-06 is more about the rifle in which it is chambered, rather than the cartridge itself. One of these days, I will pass it along to someone who will appreciate it as much as I do.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
What I've discovered in 30+ years of gun writing is many (if not most) readers want to read about stuff they use, and if the author writes about their favorite stuff then they feel justified--and a kinship with the writer. If the author praises their choice, then he's a blood-brother. Which is why gun writers who try a lot of stuff and report it all works on some level, for some purposes, are often considered blood-brothers.

In the past couple years I've done articles on rifles and cartridges from the .33 WCF to 6.5 PRC, after considerable dinking with rifles made more than a century ago and modern "customs" made a couple months ago. Have also shot a bunch of big game animals over 52 years, and been standing beside hunting companions as they shot at least as many. Have performed and observed a bunch of big game autopsies, and tested a lot of bullets in various media.

I'm still a rifle loony, but have yet to see major differences in how widely similar cartridges kill stuff, given bullets that penetrate and expand sufficiently, within certain broad parameters. Am still learning stuff every month (or week), but would be very surprised if somebody develops a bullet or cartridge that kills big game noticeably "better" (whatever that means) than similar rounds/bullets. Have seen 700-pound animals dropped on impact with 100-grain .25-caliber bullets, and go 200 yards with 300-grain .375 bullets put in just about exactly the same place--with both bullets recovered under the hide on the far side. As a result, am not convinced of the magic in any cartridge/bullet.

But we all love to bat such stuff around endlessly. In the past week have seen posts asking about whether the Nosler AccuBond is adequate for "big deer", or the performance difference between the Barnes TSX and Tipped TSX, despite all those bullets being around for more than a decade.

Yeah, there are differences in cartridges and bullets, but the biggie is shot placement by a considerable margin, not 1/2" smaller groups, 20% more bullet weight retention, a few 100ths of an inch in bullet diameter, or even twice as much initial bullet weight. If the bullet expands and penetrates sufficiently through the vitals, the animal will die quickly. If the bullet doesn't penetrate the vitals, the initial diameter or weight doesn't make much difference, despite the belief in magnum magic. Have seen this over and over again, as have others including Finn Aaagard, who I knew pretty well.

That doesn't mean I've quit "experimenting." But it does mean I no longer believe in magic.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 3,036 guests, and 1,380 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,231
Posts18,485,667
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.