Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
In this case, I'd certainly buy a Savage over the Browning.

AD

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stevens don't have the Accutrigger,,,thats one reason I like them, real easy to slick up and maintain trigger of the old fashion kind

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a Savage 16FSS in 7mm-08 and shot a good few deer with it. It shot nice tight groups, too. Every once in a while the top round in the mag would "pop up" and not feed right. The rest always fed fine. Other than that, it was a very good rifle for $425. Sold it to a good friend who still has it.......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Probably needed the lips of the mag well bent down a tinnny bit on one or both sides,,,my 223 was doing that works fine now

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was invited to this thread through a PM. I've had quite a lot of hunters over the years with about every kind of rifle you can imagine. During all those years guiding in Alaska, and now working as a PH in Africa I have seen plenty of problems with Abolts. It got to the point that I would not personally own one that shot a one hole group at 300 yards if somebody gave it to me for free.

Yes........I have personally seen one shatter like glass! When shot off the hood of the landcruiser. The trigger guard upon recoil bumped against the contour of the cruisers hood and sheared off the trigger guard, trigger, and bottom metal latch mechanism. There was not a sctatch on the hood of the cruiser. I would guess from what we could find that there was a dozen small fractured or "shattered" Bits I have seen another split the barrel upon shooting it that had the split barrel came back so far it tore the scope from the mounts. I cannot count how many of these rifles have gone "click" with only the faitest dent in the primer, but not enough force to fire the shell. It's trigger is simpley too complicated, and made with such poor materials that I would not trust it for any hunting EVER that had any importance to me.

During all these years I've seen a few other rifles fail to fire, or feed, but none, ........not a single one ever exploded, ruptured, crumbled, and was just plain garbage in all that time.

The Abolt stands alone at the top of the hill. It's without question the worst quality materials used in a production sporting rifle I have ever personally seen used in my 20plus year career as a professional hunter!

Your mileage may vary, and some of you folks maye have a "lucky" one. I wish you well with your future use of the Abolts.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by stillhunter73
Not owning one, I always thought the accutrigger seemed kind of gimmicky. I take it this is wrong?

I don't think it's gimmicky. Different,yes, but it really works well, so I'd not classify it as a gimmick. It's very easily adjusted (made to be friendly to user-adjustment) and breaks very cleanly and lightly, if desired. Mechanically, it's a lot like the non-accutrigger trigger but the lever provides an additional safety block for a trigger that were adjusted so lightly it tripped via shock, etc. Savage rather smartly designed a trigger that could be adjusted by the user but is safe enough to avoid liability issues.

My Scout has the old style trigger and as Sitka Deer said, they work well, but it's not quite as good a trigger as the Accutrigger, IMO. Also, one needs to know a little more about the mechanism to adjust them safely, though they're pretty damn simple.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Do a search so you can read....

If you'd take your own advice you'd see I've actually posted in those threads. This might lead you to conclude I'm well aware of what they do and do not contain.

Thanks for chiming in, Jim. The guy above had originally said the magazines would shatter if dropped. Nobody was questioning the trigger guard recoiled into a hard object thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda grasping at straws now, aren't we Jon? I read the threads. What I see is that you avoided the same question last time. What makes the A-bolt a good rifle?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What claims have I made in this thread you feel I need to defend? That the magazines are steel? Check. That you have zero experience with A-Bolts? Check. That they�re the most wonderful rifles in the world, better than everything else in every way and without flaw? As soon as I claim something like that, I�ll feel the need to defend it. I have not.

However, you have claimed the opposite. Numerous times in numerous threads (every single one it seems). When asked to defend your comments all you can say is �do a search� which reveal only more mindless one-liners and lack of technical content or personal experience of any sort from you.

My likes and dislikes about them are well documented in other threads, I offered no opinion here. If you would like me to as it relates to the original thread, I will.

Savage is a better bang for the buck. It would be my choice if money is a concern or if building a big heavy tactical rifle. For a normal to light weight hunting rifle, I�d much prefer the A-Bolt.

Yes I own and have extensively used both.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JJHACK
During all these years I've seen a few other rifles fail to fire, or feed, but none, ........not a single one ever exploded, ruptured, crumbled, and was just plain garbage in all that time.

The Abolt stands alone at the top of the hill. It's without question the worst quality materials used in a production sporting rifle I have ever personally seen used in my 20plus year career as a professional hunter!

Well, that's clear enough, next question?

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice cop-out. You've never once in ANY thread said what you liked and disliked about them. I on the other hand have, extensively. I also have told you more than once that I do not ever comment on rifles I have no experience with. Once again, you bail out on the same question leaving it unanswered. Why not just admit what Sitka, JJ, and I have stated is true......"The A-bolt stands alone at the top of the hill......" Gonna answer the question this time? Or bail again?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still waiting to hear of all the great attributes possesed by the A-bolt........Priceless........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by JJHACK

Well, that's clear enough, next question?

BMT

BMT--this guy is a jackazz who don't know dick about rifles. He said that I've given no technical support to back my claims. That's funny, as I've given tons of it, and he knows it. It is he who is incapable of such.........."The a-bolt is ia joke in the firearms world......" Art pretty much summed it up.......

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H

I do not have an A-Bolt.
I have Springfields and Enfields, a Remington 700 and an old Savage Model 40, two mausers, and the best shooter I own is a Savage Model 11 in .223 Remington. The Savage 11 rifle will place one bullet hole on top of another at 100 yards too often to be an accident.
My next new rifle will me a model 10 in 7mm-08.

(DFTT)

Vermont Constitution: Article 16th. That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State...
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You guys need to lighten up...

If a guy likes an A-bolt, who cares? Every gun design has problems. Remingtons have had bolt handles fall off in the field, their trigger groups are crap too. If it is slightly off, the gun will fire when the safety is flipped off safe.

Rugers come from the factory with 10 pound triggers, and they are heavy. Not to mention you are stuck with their ring systems.

Savages may be accurate, but they come with some cheap-ass stocks, and a cheap-ass finish on the metal. And their long actions are so looonnnggg that you usually need a one piece base so the scope will fit.

This list goes on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The A-bolt takes the cake.....A highly decorated, beatifully frosted, glossy cake.......with a cow patty inside...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
dogcatcher
I own a ton of Remingtons in 7, 721, 722 and 700 configurations. I see more 700-ish rifles than anything. I mess with them a lot. I have seen people beating their bolts open and closed when they should know better. I have yet to see a bolt handle fall off. Not that it cannot happen, but it is very rare.

I have never seen a Remington trigger that would fire on safety release, though I have seen a BUNCH of Bubbaed triggers. I have tweaked many dozens of triggers, if not hundreds. Almost all could be made to work just fine, and safely so.

I see very few A-Bolts and as a comparison to the Remingtons I have many times the experience with Remingtons that I do with A-Bolts. I have seen more A-Bolts fail than all the Remingtons, all the Winchesters, all the mausers, all the Rugers, all the Sakos, all the other brands combined. I probably have mor etime around Savages than I do A-Bolts and yet I have not seen a Savage fail. And I am no fan of Savages. So with many, many times the exposure to other makes the A-Bolts have been prominent in more failures than all the rest combined.

The A-Bolt stands alone... It is not like any other model...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You've never once in ANY thread said what you liked and disliked about them.

I'm sorry reading is such a challenge for you. In this very thread I already said I didn't like the cast aluminum bottom metal. And in about three minutes I pulled these (there are more, but that's all the time I'm wasting for your lazy posterior):

Originally Posted by JonA
Well, they don't break extractors and the bolt handles don't come off. They're on my list. wink

From here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...t&topic=0&Search=true#Post912535

A quick sumary:

I like the 60 degree bolt throw, magazine, tang safety, accuracy, light weight, etc.

I'm not crazy about their synthetic stocks. I haven't especially liked the triggers on mine (80's vintage, apparently they've improved them for the A-Bolt II's). While my A-Bolt Hunter (wood stock) came with matte metal and a dull finish stock, I don't like the fact they now come with shiny finishes. If that's what you want, get the Medallion, the Hunter should be Matte....

From here:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...A&topic=0&Search=true#Post480475 (Though I should mention Hunters are once again coming in Matte finish, a change since I posted that.)

Expounding a bit on the safety (since it takes such a beating here):

I couldn't agree more with him about the safety. He also said:
on average it took Winchester owners a second longer to disengage the safety and fire the first shot compared to Mausers or Browning A Bolts.

From Here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...A&topic=0&Search=true#Post480519

Personally I prefer to have the bolt locked when the safety is on. I really don't feel the need for a 3-position safety except on blind magazine rifles.

From Here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...A&topic=0&Search=true#Post982155

I really like safeties on the tang, so if you're going to put one there that locks down the bolt, blocks the trigger and blocks the firing pin, it's going to take a couple parts to do it. It does all that and does it well as long as it doesn't look like the one above. But if things get to that point, yes, it is more likely to quit working. I'll take that downside knowing getting struck by lightening is more likely than my rifles looking like that. If I moved to Alaska (any high paying Engineering jobs up there? wink ) I might rethink that. But BW's garage storage "failure," and stories like it won't.

From here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...A&topic=0&Search=true#Post989711 (This is the thread from which you originaly stole that picture of BW's rusted trigger. It should have been really hard for you to miss.)

That's quite a few examples of things you claim I never said. Especially considering I don't go around cheerleading for them the way you cheerlead against them. I try and answer questions for those who ask and correct incorrect statements about them, that's all. And I base my comments on over 20 years of use of these rifles--not what I read on the internet. How about you?

I'm sorry reading is not one of your strongpoints. That's OK, it isn't for most cheerleaders.

I on the other hand have, extensively.

Well, I can't find any.
I also have told you more than once that I do not ever comment on rifles I have no experience with.

So you have owned some A-Bolts? You have hunted with them? These are all failures you've experienced yourself? My apologies, sir. Last time I asked you ducked the questions so I took that as a "No." Why wait so long to correct my horrible error? Please, let's see some pictures of your broken A-Bolts! (Holding my breath...not.)
He said that I've given no technical support to back my claims. That's funny, as I've given tons of it, and he knows it.

Please do quote yourself as I have myself above. I sure haven't found any. Oh, stuff like this:
they are complete schitt, either get rid of it, or get over it......Can you say abortion............

Qualifies as neither technical, nor an opinion based upon personal experience. Nor does quoting others or telling us what others think. Come up with an original thought for once please. Oh, I guess you did try with the whole magazine shattering thing, etc. Let me restate that: Please come up with an original thought that isn't flat wrong showing you to be a clueless Parrot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The same thread that contains this pic of yet another POS that broke,(shown after my initial comment on said phenomena by someone else, proving my point nicely) contains my TECHNICAL opinions of the a-bolt. But then, you already know that, don't you? Or is the search engine too confusing?.....

[Linked Image]

No, I do not hunt with a-bolts. Not stupid enough to do it for 20 minutes, let alone 20 years. My buddy has a White-Gold Medallion that I had at my place for 4-5years. Some of us know enough about rifles to recognize a POS when we see it(stick around, you'll learn too), and this qualifies HEAVILY........

[Linked Image]

Anyone who cannot recognize that this is an abomination at best, don't know rifles, peroid. I'm leavin' out of town for work for a few days. If John Browning rose from the grave today, the first thing he would do is administer a tremendous bitch-slap to the person that put his good name alongside such a clusterphuck. Please feel free to show me any pic of any other type of rifle from ANY site that has a chunk out of the trigger guard from a 3-4 foot drop on some rocks. Or any other rifle with a trigger group(?) this complicated and prone to failure. The A-bolt is a joke, and so is your "knowledge" of rifles. They both stand alone. Wallow in it.........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Posting pictures of others' rifles that we've all seen before over and over again. That's what, the 4th time you've used that trigger picture? Still nothing technical. Zero personal experience.

If I post pictures of a Rem with the bolt handle broken off or the extractor broken or a Sako all blown up that I found on the internet can I pretend to know stuff about rifles and be cool like you?

Parrots rock.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 6,513 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,827
Posts18,536,986
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.