Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
SAKO75--

While I have no real opinion one way or another, having not tried a VX-L longer than a few shots at a range, I do hear from Leupold that they cannot make enough of them, the demand is that heavy.

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No one ever went broke understimating the taste of the American Public...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I'm not much for hunting mags, preferring shooting/handloading mags. Being former military, I find AR most interesting. But, like others I didn't become a Life member for a magazine subscription.

As an after thought, the hunting population is growing older,attracting fewer new hunters. It is possible NRA has oriented AH to attract a young hunter.

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
muledeer,

Great point about three excellent publications! I have to get my subscriptions reinstated to Rifle and Handloader. I don't know about Successful Hunter, however. At my age suddenly becoming successful might just be too much of a shock to the system. wink

Rifle and Handloader are without a doubt the best of their kind!

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Maybe they should fire half of the combined staf and publish ONE GOOD magazine with shooting sports and hunting combined. They would then have sufficient resources to get good writers with something new or different to say. Have one section to preach to the choir, and use the rest of the space for worthwhile articles.

That would be one idea, but a better one might be, just to cancel both of them, and replace with a Newsletter about the latest in Anti-Gun legislation etc., without all the glossy photos of themselves, and the dramatic write-ups, like they're some kind of heroes.

I get the AR, only because I'm a Life Member. The AR used to be about the last word on everything gun related. Like other people I used to save the magazines. Now they're barely worth looking at. What a joke. I wonder if they even pay for themselves.
Smitty of the North

No amount of planning will ever replace Dumb Luck.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trigernossis asked:"So, what are some good mags.?"

.........out of a cloud of sulphurous smokes drifts bleary eyed advice.

and this, not to dismiss those already recomended, as an alternative to mad. ave. hype

* Black Powder Cartridge Rifle News

* The Single Shot Exchange

..........buckling on his swashes, he disappears back into the smoke.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Wolfe's stuff is the best...

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
For those who are concerned or fed up with NRA's endless mail solicitations you can go to their website and click on "Do Not Solicit", which I believe is somewhere under Member Services.

Doug

"It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." Tom T. Hall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blitzen
For those who are concerned or fed up with NRA's endless mail solicitations you can go to their website and click on "Do Not Solicit", which I believe is somewhere under Member Services.

Doug

"Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal."

Scroll down to see:
https://www.nramemberservices.org/faq.asp

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let me put in a good word for Precision Shooting. The writing is usually amateurish, the content is sometime stupefyingly technical, but there is a lot of good stuff. It is not completely restricted to bench rest and target shooting these days.

IC B3

SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
i like precision shooting

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
+1 on the Wolfe pubs being the best in their classes by far. I have almost no interest in BPCR, but I read the articles because they're well written and entertaining. A small step below is Sports Afield, then a bigger step down to Shooting Times, AH, NAH, Rifle, (formerly) Peterson's Hunting, etc. BTW, I think the best use for the recent mags is an excuse to visit the nearest VA Hospital (Manchester NH for me). I drop a pile every 2 months or so at the library, and they always seem to be gone by the next visit. Also Soldier of Fortune, which used to be WAY out on the fringe, but seems closer to the center post 9/11. (Or maybe I'm just closer to the fringe myself!) Fonman

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lets take a closer look at the American Hunter. Going by the contents page the April 2007 AH references 23 articles or sections on topics. Of those 23 twelve of them were about hunting or hunting gear and the rest of the eleven are about legislation, gun rights and NRA business.

Now take a look at the Mar.-Apr. issue of RIFLE. It has seventeen articles all of which are about guns or gear. No article in the Rifle mentions gun legislation etc. There is an article there by Spomer, who writes for the NRA as well, called "Mans great escape". which interests me. I will have to read that later.

I just skim read some of the articles in the subject AH and I find them quite good and interesting. For an article to be interesting to me it has to make me think about something that I had forgotten about or new information. If it goes over the same old then its less interesting. The article in AH by Michael Hanback "The Bucks Stop Here" was of interest to me. It tells how improve your spot.

I like to rest my mind just like many do and read an article on some fancy gun or gear. However the real world is that our ownership of guns and places to use them is in a war. Please don't ignore that all of the time.

To be frank with you ladies and gentlemen. If your not a member of the NRA or active in some other gun rights group then you should rethink that.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
For those who don't want either NRA magazine, remember, advertising rates are based on circulation, among other things.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SAKO75
I find nothing very useful in that magazine. It seems like a big ad. Am I alone? I give it a 4 on a scale of 1-10.

No, your not alone. For me, the AH was at it's pinnacle when they had articles and excerpts from Peter Capstick. That was >25 years ago and Peter has long since joined the Silent Majority. Too bad.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Were those the ones where Capstick advocated using solids in North America before someone pointed out to him they are illegal in most states or the one about shooting insects in the backyard with an air gun? smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
For those who don't want either NRA magazine, remember, advertising rates are based on circulation, among other things.

Ordinarily, yes. And there's a lot of circulation on both magazines. But AR and AH are like icons and get a lot of advertising based on the fact they're NRA organs.

I think if the magazine was in the newstands and in competition with other gun mags (and it may be) sales would be very, very slow.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Were those the ones where Capstick ... [wrote] about shooting insects in the backyard with an air gun? smile

I think the article about the air gun was in Guns & Ammo. The air gun was a model that shot BBs like a machine gun, using I think a can of Freon. In the sunlight the BBs appeared like tracers, so it was possible to walk the stream of BBs onto a flying target. The article described Capstick shooting dragonflies out of the air in his backyard in Florida. As I recall he was imagining the dragonflies to be enemy aircraft.

[Rant=on] I was turned off by his shooting of dragonflies. Adult dragonflies capture and eat other flying insects, and have been recorded as taking a dozen+ mosquitoes per hour. As immature nymphs, one of their favorite foods is mosquito eggs. Mosquitoes are a nuisance, unless you're a saleman for insect repellant; they are certainly a health problem. As I read the article I found myself hoping Capstick would get malaria from a mosquito that the dragonflies he shot would have eaten. [/Rant]

--Bob

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
it is a horrid magazine. but they try
i like the handloader/rifle/successful hunter series ALOT (whole reason i found this forum), also like fur fish and game, backwoodsman, and a local New England fishing mag called ON THE WATER. other than those and that one magazine i get thats all about handguns,
can't remember the name, but john taffin, mike venterenio (sorry about the spelling) chuck connors clint smith and bunch of others write in,

i do think all gunwriters are nuts, no way you'd get me to put in writing what i think, just settin yourself up every single month for a hellstorm of angry you don't know nuttin about anything kinda mail. but i appreciate stickin your neck out just so i can multi-task on the can. thanks

Last edited by fishinfool; 03/26/07.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Were those the ones where Capstick advocated using solids in North America before someone pointed out to him they are illegal in most states or the one about shooting insects in the backyard with an air gun? smile

YOU MEAN SOMEONE ELSE SHOT DID THAT TOO!! their wasn't a carpenter bee within 3city blocks of my house.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,336
Posts18,526,783
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.