Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Doc_Paul
358wsm,
My rifle always shot <1 MOA with my handloads up until July, I noticed the groups were closer to 1.5-2" at the end of a shooting session. I cleaned the barrel with copper solvent and tried an old batch of ammo a few weeks later. To my horror, the groups were 5" at 100 yd. I had a friend look at it and he found the main lug screw had come loose. He tightened it back up to factory specs. I took it shooting and the first group was ok but opened up afterward. Factory ammo was even worse. I had the rifle checked again and the screw had come loose. Retightened it, used lock tite red this time, but still no luck. I sent the rifle to Ruger almost a month ago and have not heard anything.

I read on an earlier post the RCM's can have problems with the stock cracking if not bedded properly. I did not think to check the stock, but I'm guessing this may be the case. I have put about 700 rounds through it in the past 4 years just playing around with it. Who knows, it may just be worn out.

I am sitting on a large cache of 338 bullets, thus my interest in staying with that caliber. In addition, the midbore size allows me to take shots from pretty much any angle with predictable results. OTOH, I can completely understand the appeal of something smaller, provided it will get the job done in a humane manner.

I don't get to go elk hunting often, but when I do I don't want to worry about having enough gun.

Thanks Doc,

It'll be interesting to learn of what the folks at Ruger discover.
Seems to me that there is a workable solution in the mix somewhere.
I'd like to know what happens in the end concerning this little RCM.
I doubt that 700 rounds wore it out, but what a perfect candidate for a rebore and rechamber to 358-WSM.

Were it me, and I was starting over trying to choose a rifle for Elk size game, I would lean heavy toward a Winchester Model 70 FWT Classic in either 270 Win or 30-06 and have that baby rebored (or rebarreled-depending) to 338-06 and dropped into an McEDGE stock.

You'd never have to worry about having enough gun if going with the 338-06 (but I do hope everything works out with the little RCM).

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I bought the RCM because I was looking for a hard-hitting caliber in a short package. I really liked the RCM but
I have a bad feeling I'm going to get bad news from Ruger.

Seeing as you have all that brass, I have a SS 338 RCM Compact Magnum that I might be talked into selling if things don't work out with your rifle. Mine's even sitting in a McMillan Sako Classic stock.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
"Elk killer"? Since you asked: 338WM. Hands down...

Yessir, and were I to start over with my 338's, they'd be loaded full throttle 2900+ fps accurate with 225 gr TTSX's for all game, including elk to 500 yards.

This! Great choice. Mine really likes the TTSX 225gr..

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Well, I heard from Ruger last week and it looks like I am getting a new barrel for the RCM. No word on the main lug coming loose. We'll see how it goes.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
338-06 & RCM are identical.

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Good luck.. With the new barrel.. I have fooled with the .338WM it didn;t do much for me.. Too much drop with heavy bullets and my .300 shot 200 grains faster.. I did try a 340, and still have it. Suppose I always will.. I like it better than the .338, but as some one said, the 7mm Mag. and 160 Noslers was one of Bob Hagel's favorites.. He forgot more than most shooter will ever know...

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote What do you elk killers like in the 338 flavor? 338-06, 338 fed, or 338 WM? I would like to hear your reasons for your choices!!
] [/quote]

The .338 Win Mag is a bit too much recoil for my liking. The .30-06 and .308 Win brass will be around for ever....and since you're a reloader either of these will do the job nicely

The .338 Federal s a surprisingly fine cartridge....but it's future is also in doubt.....(but only for factory loads.....).

The .338-06 is easy as falling off a log for a reloader....it's powerful and .30-06 actions abound all over.......While it offers very little over the .338 Federal....it's still the king of the 338 calibers IMO.....
The .338-06 will kill elk as well as anything you can buy.....why suffer more recoil than necessary?.....

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put me in the 338-06 camp. With the 210gr TSX or NPT it has been absolutely stellar on 1/2 dozen elk. The 200gr Hornady SP is fantastic on deer/antelope.

Since the RCM is a ballistic copycat of the 338-06. I have no issues with it. But 338-06 logistics are much easier for me.

I have owned a few.
Model 700 Traded for a Pre 64
Model 7600 Sold it as my Dad can not tolerate the recoil anymore.
Springfield that was too heavy.
Mauser I never should have sold.
Model 70 FWT Sold to a very good friend and will buy back in a heart beat if he ever sells as I have first right of refusal.

My final, and last one, will be done shortly.
Model 70 Class stainless, #3 Shilen, 1:9 twist, 23" , McM Edge stock

I owned a 338WM in the late 90's. Shot a couple elk with it and it went down the road. Replaced by a 338-06.

No experience with the 338 Federal.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When you get your rifle back from Ruger, before shooting it, have it pillar bedded ( or whatever works best with Ruger actions, I like Pillars). If any movement is taking place in the original bedding, it won't take long to start unscrewing itself again, can even split the stock. It won't hurt anything and IF its still an issue after glass bedding, then its time to sell/trade off! I like the concept of the 338 RCM but I would rather have at least a 22" barrel, but I'm weird that way, ha.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
"Elk killer"? Since you asked: 338WM. Hands down...

Yessir, and were I to start over with my 338's, they'd be loaded full throttle 2900+ fps accurate with 225 gr TTSX's for all game, including elk to 500 yards.

This! Great choice. Mine really likes the TTSX 225gr..

That's just a plain old badass bullet Heym, with a decent B.C. for a mono to boot. cool

Trump Won!
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Ruger said it will be a month or so before they get they new barrel bored. Jim, I will look into having it bedded. Thanks for the suggestion.

Finally, a question for you reloaders: Do you think the old loads will perform about the same or will I have to start from scratch on a new load?

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Try the old loads first. If they don't work then try new ones.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It will be a gamble. Treat it like a new rifle, which it is. (Gosh, I sounded like that killer in No Country for Old Men talking about the store owners "lucky coin".) ha
One isolated example...I had a wonderful, moderate, long case life load of 57gr/IMR4350/165X ( the original) for a 1917 Enfield sporter. I tried one shot in a rebarreled Mod 70 FWT Classic (Douglas, 30-06) and popped the primer! Didn't hurt anything...but it was a "thrill", ha. That rifle didn't like the X bullets at all. Too many dimensional differences between the two rifles. Just my .02 Pard...of course, a lot depends on how warm your existing loads really are, they may work just fine.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ruger said it will be a month or so before they get they new barrel bored. Jim, I will look into having it bedded. Thanks for the suggestion.

Finally, a question for you reloaders: Do you think the old loads will perform about the same or will I have to start from scratch on a new load?

From a hand loaders standpoint, I'd start fresh. Don't risk doing damage to your rifle and having to send it back to Ruger.. I'd also do like someone else suggested and glass bed that rifle. You don't need pillars though, just use a good bedding compound and you'll be golden. From my experience, it will shrink group size down by 1/2 on a m77, and also help to keep it from cracking the stock during recoil...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
338 win mag. For many, the ultimate elk cartridge. Load it up or down, she can hit to any field.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (06hunter59, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,681
Posts18,513,394
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.