Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
My wife bought me a heated jacket last season and it worked very well.
The brand was Gyde Supply Co, off Ebay and naturally it is Chinese.
There are 3 panels that provide heat, one large panel across the shoulder blades and 2 more panels either side of the chest.
There are 4 settings with the lowest rated to last up to 8 hours. It did this.
I found the lowest setting was adequate to take the bite out of the cold and after a few hours I was able to turn it off.

The price was around $75 and it was money well spent. I will use it again this year as we are already into the low 20's and a bit more with another week to go before gunpowder is permitted in the deer woods.

Was this it?

https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m4084.l1313&_nkw=Gyde+Supply+Co

Battery is extra, and not included.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds interesting but limited with the amount of energy you can store with even today's batteries. Coming up on old fart age I just add another layer. Or carry a packable down vest or liner if I expect to want it later.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
JTman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Bump... anyone else have any input?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Not too much in vogue but the old school type warmers using lighter fluid work pretty well. Son bought me a couple of Zippos a while back and I put one at a time in a fleece hand tube or put one in each jacket or coverall pocket. Also the Hot Hands chemical units work in the right places. For boots I use either the foot shaped model or 2 smaller stick-ons under my toes and instep. They also make a body warmer I usually stick on my base layer over my abdomen. Like wise smaller stick-ons over the kidney area. For a real treat put a hand warmer size or stick on toe warmer in your beanie or insulated cap. Heat your head warm your feet. For any heater the closer to the skin the better the heat transfer. If you only sit a couple of hours anything works. There's plenty of times I do all day sits during rut.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
They make them for motorcycle riders and I've heard good things about those, but I believe most of those are 12V and you plug them into your bike while you're riding.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
People function well in Antarctica and on the top of Everest w/ down clothing.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
My wife bought me a heated jacket last season and it worked very well.
The brand was Gyde Supply Co, off Ebay and naturally it is Chinese.
There are 3 panels that provide heat, one large panel across the shoulder blades and 2 more panels either side of the chest.
There are 4 settings with the lowest rated to last up to 8 hours. It did this.
I found the lowest setting was adequate to take the bite out of the cold and after a few hours I was able to turn it off.

The price was around $75 and it was money well spent. I will use it again this year as we are already into the low 20's and a bit more with another week to go before gunpowder is permitted in the deer woods.

Was this it?

https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m4084.l1313&_nkw=Gyde+Supply+Co

Battery is extra, and not included.

No.
My vest is orange.
I will be hunting with temps in the 20's-30's this year and will appreciate it again.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
J
JTman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Appreciate all comments, thanks guys.

I was just reading some comparisons and reviews of different brands and am really considering the black 20v lithium-ion Dewalt. I want to say I read somewhere that they make some kind of conversion kit to use the 18v Nicad's in place of the 20v lithium's, can anyone verify that for me (I have a few 18 volt batteries and chargers already, it'd be nice to be able to use them)?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Gerbing Gyde vest that is heated with four settings and will run 2 hours on high (130*) or 8 hours on low (100*). I wear the vest as a second or third layer, as close to the base layer as possible. I bought it for deer season last year, and wear it all of the time I'm in cold weather now. I did buy a second battery this year, but the old battery is still running fine. Two heat panels on the chest, one large panel on the back, and a panel in the collar.

If I'm cold on the stand I run it on high until I can feel the heat and then bump it down to 2nd gear 110* for 6 hour run time. It is much more versatile that I thought it would be. It has eliminated 1-2 bulky layers and I stay warmer to boot.

I paid $140 range last year in early Oct, but it seems that in November they bump the price up. I bought my dad one for winter trout fishing after I was satisfied with mine, and ended up paying more for the same item. I went with the vest because the jackets don't have heat in the arms anyway, and I want the heating elements close to the base layer.

Ororo is another brand that I have heard people were happy with.

J
JTman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by davet
I have a Gerbing Gyde vest that is heated with four settings and will run 2 hours on high (130*) or 8 hours on low (100*). I wear the vest as a second or third layer, as close to the base layer as possible. I bought it for deer season last year, and wear it all of the time I'm in cold weather now. I did buy a second battery this year, but the old battery is still running fine. Two heat panels on the chest, one large panel on the back, and a panel in the collar.

If I'm cold on the stand I run it on high until I can feel the heat and then bump it down to 2nd gear 110* for 6 hour run time. It is much more versatile that I thought it would be. It has eliminated 1-2 bulky layers and I stay warmer to boot.

I paid $140 range last year in early Oct, but it seems that in November they bump the price up. I bought my dad one for winter trout fishing after I was satisfied with mine, and ended up paying more for the same item. I went with the vest because the jackets don't have heat in the arms anyway, and I want the heating elements close to the base layer.

Ororo is another brand that I have heard people were happy with.

That's a 7 volt battery, correct? Seems awful small to last all that long. How much was the spare battery you bought? With both batteries you'd have no problem running that vest all day long in the woods would you not?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having spent the majority of my life in Windy Wyoming, just dress yourself in layers with wool and goretex shell and cover exposed skin. Buy great gloves, great socks and great boots. I'd hate to be out somewhere depending on batteries to keep me warm. Plus, you don't ever want to get sweaty.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My Buddy makes custom BR bullets. He has an electric heater to heat the jackets before seating the cores.
Oh, the wrong kind of heated jacket!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JTman

That's a 7 volt battery, correct? Seems awful small to last all that long. How much was the spare battery you bought? With both batteries you'd have no problem running that vest all day long in the woods would you not?

Yes the 7 volt. If you run the battery at level 4, or high, it will not last. The advertised run times on the batteries seem about right. It will run a long time on level 2, 5-6 hours. Each setting gives or takes away 2 hours for 10* in heat. Level 1 (low) is 100* 8 hour run time. Level 4 (high) 130* 2 hour run time.

For stand hunting, etc. where it is just a cold sit, they work great for me. I wear it instead of a winter coat just about every day, and even down to the low 20's with a light windbreaker over it, and gloves I'm comfortable.

Extra battery was $45, and they charge pretty fast.

35 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last year I bought some old school Zippo hand warmers that we used to use in the 70`s & 80`s
Haven`t used em yet.
https://www.zippo.com/collections/hand-warmers

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Video with 24 Hour Campfire member 'shortactionsmoker' demonstrating the full insulated cold weather body suit from Whittaker's Guns.
(Click the "Not Now" option at the bottom of the 'pop-up'.)

https://www.facebook.com/whittakerguns/videos/256167438377457/

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (257 mag, 160user, 338rcm, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16 invisible), 1,638 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,858
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.