Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My phone is about toast, looking for a new one.

Which phones do best with gps and mapping? For that matter, which gps/mapping apps do you folks like the best?

I hear good things about On X but haven’t used it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have been using an IPhone 7 with a Mophie back up case for a few years with OnX. Works like a champ. My GPS gathers dust now.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a buddy talk me into getting OnX. Has its uses but it'll never replace my GPS.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Curious as to why, fremont?

Software or hardware?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Curious as to why, fremont?

Software or hardware?

Offline (non-cellular) connection doesn't work well at least for me
No ability to change map datum (so I can compare coordinates to a topo map)
Very kludgy "go-to" function (i.e., take you to a waypoint)
I want to keep my cell battery near max, as it sits off in my backpack for emergencies

Murphy was a grunt.
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I like OnX, I actually just upgraded so that I can get all 50 states data. Let’s me find lots of places to hunt I’d otherwise have overlooked. This area of NC is very flat but I like being able to switch between satellite images, topo, and hybrid to find small terrain changes that might funnel deer. I also like that I can save the map and use GPS tracking without having a cell connection. I will say though, it was a little difficult to use on my iPhone 6 IMO, because of screen size. The iPhone 8+ in general feels to big for me, but it’s great when I pull up OnX.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OnX and Samsung S6 with maps downloaded prior to hunt allows me to go offline (no cell coverage) and works well. Helped us out with property boundaries several times this year during antelope in Wyoming. Told us who the other property owners were and now we have permission for those parcels as well.

Still have my Garmin Montana but never turned it on this year.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It has completely replaced my GPS. The ability to toggle between Satellite, Hybrid, and Topo is huge! The land ownership is as well. I find I use it around home way more than I thought. Who owns that piece west of the Johnsons? Well, give me a second and i will tell ya!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Garmin Earthmate and an iPhone 6S, Samsung prior to that. Works like a charm. No cell needed,battery lasts days if I conserve. I usually run this on Airplane mode, and do not use to track routes. I do create and drop pins as needed. A stand-alone GPS is not on my shopping list. Garmin maps are good. Also, seamless and instant switch from PC mapping to iPhone mapping. Been running this for years.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was using an iPhone 6s and just changed to iPhone Xr. I have used OnX and my GPS as a backup in the past. Using the GPS less and less. Key is to download maps in advance if you are going to be out of cell service. I am involved with Search and Rescue for my county and we have Gaia GPS app on our phones. it is pretty slick and yes there is an upcharge for added features. We have pretty much gone away from using GPS’s. Lots of areas here have no cell coverage. Standard gear includes a spare battery pack, just in case I am out for extended period of time.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
iPhone 6S+ & OnX has replaced my GPS. Upload maps ahead of time and leave the phone on airplane mode, keeping an inexpensive battery backup. My phone lasts 48 hours on one charge so no issue and the level of detail on the clearer screen & increased functionality of the app is well worth the power issue.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have an Iphone 7, with OnXMaps on it. Works really well. I have all 50 states on it, and it comes in handy when travelling as well as hunting.

I also have OnX installed on my Ipad Mini, with a suction bracket for my truck and RZR UTV. Great for navigating thru private/public lands, such as searching for walk-in pheasant hunt areas, etc.

I have a Garmin Montana, for navigating 'off the grid', and nothing beats it for battery life, navigation options, and other features that OnX simply does not have. Both Garmin GPS and Iphone apps have their uses, I kind of like having the option to use both.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have OnX on my iPhone 8 and just bought the SD map chip to use this week. Wanted to be covered every way possible. I’ve used the service on my phone quite a bit for hunting and work. I live in the Upper Peninsula of MI in a remote area and have to make home calls for work searching for people. Some of these locations are in the true boonies. It’s helped a lot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry both AND a compass because technology is great when it works, but batteries puke out in cold weather and I don't want to bet my life on a low battery. Day before yesterday out scouting at 29 degrees with 57% left in the phone battery and bingo, too cold to work even when riding in my right front pocket. I spent $20.00 yesterday for a take along charger and I'll have fresh batteries in my GPS come gun season, but that compass always works and is always recommended.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a question about the accuracy of the OnX property boundary maps. One of the things I need to be aware of in the area I hunt is making sure of property boundaries. How often are the maps updated etc?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to all for the comments and experiences.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Garmin Earthmate and an iPhone 6S, Samsung prior to that. Works like a charm. No cell needed,battery lasts days if I conserve. I usually run this on Airplane mode, and do not use to track routes. I do create and drop pins as needed. A stand-alone GPS is not on my shopping list. Garmin maps are good. Also, seamless and instant switch from PC mapping to iPhone mapping. Been running this for years.

I’m a big fan of Earthmate too. Definitely recommend it.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by VoiceMan
I have a question about the accuracy of the OnX property boundary maps. One of the things I need to be aware of in the area I hunt is making sure of property boundaries. How often are the maps updated etc?

Yeah I hear ya.
I just bought a bunch of raw land and according to the survey my onX map is off by roughly 30’ in some areas.
That 30’ could get someone in a load of trouble somewhere.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
In my experience OnX is pretty dead on. I wonder if the GPS reciever in your phone is the limiting factor.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It’s reading off my Garmin Montana...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 16gage, 204guy, 32 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,861
Posts18,497,178
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.