Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My father and I are makiang a life long dream come true and are doing a DIY drop moose hunt in Alaska in 2020.

I was dead set on buying a 300WM with 175gr Barnes LRX.

My overthinking has kicked in and am now conteplating a 300RUM shooting 200 grain LRX. What do you guys think about the RUM?

The largest caliber rifle I own is a 6.5 CM so I’m not super familiar with large cartridges.

I’ve shot my fathers 300WM in an encore with synthetic stock and that dang thing knocks the snot out of me every time I shoot it. It’s a fairly lightweight rifle though.

If I go the RUM route I’ll definitely install a brake

Last edited by REDVANES; 11/11/18.
GB1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Think shot placement. Thats all that really matters. The 300 WM is a fine moose round, as is the 308, 30/06 and many others. Your 6.5 will kill any moose that walks.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Yep, I’m overthinking it. No reason to go RUM... WM it is

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use a 30-06 for moose year after year but if I was making a once in a lifetime Alaskan hunting trip, I’d probably buy a cool 338 or 375.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have one of these and I love it. Action is super slick. Safety is the real deal. Magazine can be easily loaded while in place. Mag holds 5 rounds of 9.3. Iron sights available for primary or backup use. One of the few rifles I doubt I'll ever sell. I don't fall in love so easily.

https://www.mauser.com/en/m12/m12-extreme.html

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by REDVANES

I think you will be glad you decided on the WM. There is a fair amount of recoil difference between the 6.5CM and a 300 WM. It's important that you shoot that 300 WM plenty and make sure you can handle the recoil and are not afraid of it. You probably won't be, but neither one of us knows untill you get out and do some shooting. Being able to hit what you need to hit is important. More important than velocity. It sounds like you are really wanting to buy another rifle. If you can borrow a 300, give it a try. It's better to have a rifle that works under bad conditions, than one that will just wood under optimum conditions. If you moved to Alaska, and got to shoot a bunch or moose, ten you might rethink what rifle is desirable. Personally I just like certain calibers and rifles. I love the 338WM and I used it a lot. Also love the 375 H&H and used it a fair amount. But I'll never get rid of my 30-06. You might consider a stainless/synthetic rifle, because it's in the rainy season.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by REDVANES

I think you will be glad you decided on the WM. There is a fair amount of recoil difference between the 6.5CM and a 300 WM. It's important that you shoot that 300 WM plenty and make sure you can handle the recoil and are not afraid of it. You probably won't be, but neither one of us knows untill you get out and do some shooting. Being able to hit what you need to hit is important. More important than velocity. It sounds like you are really wanting to buy another rifle. If you can borrow a 300, give it a try. It's better to have a rifle that works under bad conditions, than one that will just wood under optimum conditions. If you moved to Alaska, and got to shoot a bunch or moose, ten you might rethink what rifle is desirable. Personally I just like certain calibers and rifles. I love the 338WM and I used it a lot. Also love the 375 H&H and used it a fair amount. But I'll never get rid of my 30-06. You might consider a stainless/synthetic rifle, because it's in the rainy season.

Thanks for the info! Absolutely thinking stainless synthetic. I’m either buying a stainless Rem 700 or a stainless Tikka and will slap it into a greyboe terrain stock. That stock is not particularly light so I think the added weight will help with recoil and if all else fails I’ll put a brake on it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a few big and small bore rifles, but if I was doing a moose hunt, my 9.3X62 would be my choice of what I have. I don't need my Lott's or Rigby's hurting me. With a 286 grain Barnes, I'm giving away nothing and recoil is very manageable and it is one of my most accurate hunting rifles.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
.308 200gn TSX/300Win @ 2950. Canadian Moose @ 200yds:

[Linked Image]

1-shot, slightly quartering away, caught a rib going in, jellied the lungs, shattered the off-side shoulder, hung up on the off-side hide. Moose never took a step, stood for ~10sec, reared-up like a horse and tipped over backwards. I would've shot again but at the shot, a smaller bull stepped in front of him and covered up the vitals

Edited to add. Slug weighs 201.5gn as there's little moose-bits still stuck to it.

There's a good chance that I'll shoot my next moose with my 375H&H/250TTSX just so I can blood my Kimber Talkeetna, plus, it doesn't weigh any more than my SS Classic M70 300Win mag. Both have a bullet with a BC in the low .4's, the 375 is about 150fps slower. Only real difference will be the extra width.

Last edited by horse1; 11/12/18.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Whatever it is, make sure you can shoot it well.

I've never worried, 30-30, 10mm, 338-06, 338 Win, 338/378 in hand at times. Never bothered me a bit.

If I was going to buy especially for moose, specifically, I'd personally lean to no less diameter than .338 given a choice. the RUM type speeds are not needed unless you are going long ranging them.

But that said, bullet placement trumps all.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We hear from guides on here that the worst outcome is a client showing up with a newly purchased ubermag.

Just use what you normally shoot.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Encore seems to kick a lot I guess because of the sort of dog leg to the stock, try another rifle with a straighter stock. Your Creedmoor with any tough 140-160 grain bullet would certainly work and you would only have to pass on marginal shots which you should anyway. The 300WM is a good choice and gives me a little more comfort around bears than a smaller bore. But make sure it is for you. With a good fitting stock and probably wearing a jacket or couple of layers of clothes I hardly notice it going off when hunting. On the bench in a light shirt I definitely feel it though. The 280, 7RM, 30-06 or 300 WSM all kick a little less and are Moose worthy. The 300 WSM probably doesn't kick enough less to make a difference though. I avoid muzzle brakes like the plague although many like them and put up with the downsides. If at all in doubt about the 300 then get a 30-06. With a 200 gr. partition you are only giving up about 40 yards of maximum point blank range to the 300 and a few foot pounds.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bring your 6.5. It'll work just fine.
Don't overthink it, they die just like any animal does if you put a hole thru their heart/lungs.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
We hear from guides on here that the worst outcome is a client showing up with a newly purchased ubermag.

not just on here... whatever it is, make sure you can shoot it. I can shoot the mags. I can shoot the small ones. I'm getting to not like the mags that much anymore. LOL. At least the fast face slappers...

We've said bullet placement, but I also will ad bullet selection is important to me, really important. While I'll use a Berger on deer depending, and even some others, mono are good killers and hold together better...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
A used 300 WM in a 700 Remington will not be hard to find, stainless sps, they are very accurate rifles. 200g Partitions and call it done.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Alright Then,,,, FWIW, I'll throw my hat in the ring, but 1st, might I ask where in the lower 48 you live, and Hunt,,,,???
My reasoning for this question is, are you going to need, or use this New Rifle where you currently reside and Hunt,,,, as I have to assume your 6.5 works pretty well for you currently, so with that said,,,,,,, I would suggest that you consider maybe a .30-06 Cal. Rifle w/ 200gr Nosler Partitions, it will, and has Killed probably more Moose in Alaska and the Yukon, then any other Cal. you could list, anyway,,,, some Food for Thought, but again, as it's been said,,,, Don't over think it.
Good Luck to you and your Dad.
LJ
And by the way,,,,, "YES" I've got 2-06 Rifles here in Alaska, 1-Lever, and 1-Bolt.

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ironbender

I’ve got 22 months before my hunt and I don’t plan on buying the rifle a month before we go. I’ll have the rifle this spring and will have 18 months of shooting under my belt fefore I go after those big critters. The magnums dont scare me, just my dads light weight encore lol. Just not a fun rifle to shoot

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Alright Then,,,, FWIW, I'll throw my hat in the ring, but 1st, might I ask where in the lower 48 you live, and Hunt,,,,???
My reasoning for this question is, are you going to need, or use this New Rifle where you currently reside and Hunt,,,, as I have to assume your 6.5 works pretty well for you currently, so with that said,,,,,,, I would suggest that you consider maybe a .30-06 Cal. Rifle w/ 200gr Nosler Partitions, it will, and has Killed probably more Moose in Alaska and the Yukon, then any other Cal. you could list, anyway,,,, some Food for Thought, but again, as it's been said,,,, Don't over think it.
Good Luck to you and your Dad.
LJ
And by the way,,,,, "YES" I've got 2-06 Rifles here in Alaska, 1-Lever, and 1-Bolt.

I live in Kansas so yes, my 6.5 does everything I need it to around here and our yearly trips to Wyoming. But... I’m taking this as a good excuse to get a magnum, just because.

Pretty sure I know what I’m getting

Rem 700 SPS Stainless or Tikka T3 SS in 300WM
Scrap the Tupperware for a GRAYBOE Terrain stock
Bolt Flute and Handle job... just cause
LEUPY VX3i or VORTEX HST

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
I use a 30-06 for moose year after year but if I was making a once in a lifetime Alaskan hunting trip, I’d probably buy a cool 338 or 375.

Of the guides/ outfitters I've talked to , all said they would time over rather see a well worn 30-06 /270 class unpacked than a new Mag.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 65465Mo

Of the guides/ outfitters I've talked to , all said they would time over rather see a well worn 30-06 /270 class unpacked than a new Mag.

Well I don’t have anything adequate so mine will have some luster to it smile

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (257_X_50, 160user, 257Bob, 163bc, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,786
Posts18,477,223
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.