Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
We've had a great deer season starting last week of October when we both got decent mature bow kill bucks. But this past opening weekend of rifle season was much more than icing on the cake. We hunted our home place on opening morning based on what we'd seen on trail cams around here, but didn't see much and there wasn't much happening around here,

So we went to our cabin on our farm for the rest of the weekend, and the action immediately started picking up.

Left the cabin for the hunting house about 2:30, and noted movement through the woods in the field in front of the house before I was even able to get in. I'm behind a hedge row from 3 does about 120 yds away. I'm watching them as I'm edging over to the house when a nice white antlered buck comes out into the field with the does. I drop to a knee and try to get on him, but I'm not happy with the setup and decided not to take the shot. He eventually works his way in to the opposite side woods and the does eventually follow him. I get up in the stand, and immediately note a doe to my left about 250 yds away feeding in some clover. i'm watching her and another doe that came out. After awhile, I look over to my right and there is the white tined buck about 150 yds away, walking up the field edge fence row on my right towards the hunting house. By the time i'm able to get on him he's about 125 yds away but behind a locust tree limb and not at a good angle. He walks into the woods. Nothing I can do but wait and see if he comes back out. Well about 5 minutes max, he comes back out and starts walking back down the fence row away from me. i'm on him, but not gonna take a Texas heart shot. About 20 yards down the fence he stops and a turkey comes walking out of the woods right beside him. He turns towards the woods enough to present a hard quartering away shot, and the 243 win, Nosler BT hit him in the next to last right side rib, did not exit. As he jumped into the woods at the shot, about 7-8 more turkeys came running and flying out of the woods right beside him.Reminded me of e a covey of quail getting up. Shot him at 3:28, less than an hour from when I left our cabin. Found him about 30 yards in the woods.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hope was hunting on the front part of our property and only saw one young buck. That part of the property is on a county road and there were hunters across the road hunting a soybean field.

So next morning she decides to go to our hunting house. She gets a little bit of a late start and gets to the house a few minutes after sunrise. She chases 3 doe out of the field in front of the house as she gets there. Just a few minutes later, three different doe come feeding into the field from the woods close to where my buck had gone in the afternoon before. Shortly after, a nice young 8 pointer comes out, that she wisely decided to pass on. He's mulling about the does for a few minutes when Hope notices a different buck coming out behind a tree in the field. A nice 10 pointer. She has to watch him for awhile as he's chasing and walking and trotting, but he finally stops and gives her a broadside shot at about 140 yds. She hit him tight behind the shoulder with a 120gr Nosler BT from her 7mm-08, and he ran about 30 yds into the woods in front of him. Bullet didn't exit, We found him about 10 yards in. She got to the stand about 6:50, and I'd heard her shoot from the cabin at 7:28.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now we have two more bucks to take care of - good thing the weather is cooperating for hanging and processing. And good thing we have plenty of extended family that will gladly help us with this years' harvest. We usually only take two deer, and we're less picky on bow kills, so we said we'd only shoot deer with a rifle that we'd mount.Iincredibly for us we did, opening weekend. We are very blessed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

bludog

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
GB1

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Our "cabin", which is really just a finished off shed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

God bless you all, hope you have a safe and successful deer season.

bludog

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fantastic Show Me bucks!

What part of MO are you hunting?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats to you both on taking a couple fine bucks!! Pretty nice set-up for hunting!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Great hunt and deer. Looks like a fun and relaxing place to just hang out even if the deer weren't being cooperative.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
We hunt in either Boone or Moniteau county. Mid-MO.

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by horse1
Great hunt and deer. Looks like a fun and relaxing place to just hang out even if the deer weren't being cooperative.

Thanks, our original intent when we built this shed was to eventually finish that one side out. Over the years we've closed it in, insulated it, added electricity and water, a wood burning stove i bought from my boss, and a bathroom with corner shower, a fridge, kitchen sink. it's really quite cozy and comfortable now.

Last edited by bludog; 11/12/18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice bucks, bludog!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fantastic bucks and place you have there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bludog
We hunt in either Boone or Moniteau county. Mid-MO.

Thanks, that's great deer country you have to hunt. I finished college in St.Louis and hunted the surrounding counties, but not as far as Columbia/Jeff City. My best friend played football for MIZZOU in the 70's early 80's, and his wife is from Jeff City so I got that way a bit.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yeah, we have land here where we live that we hunt some. It's about 20 minutes south of Mizzou campus and then we have a little larger place in Moniteau Co. about 35 minutes away. Mixed bag on quality of genetics, but it's usually no boring.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Congrats bd

A very Nice Pair of bucks.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great deer bludog! I miss hunting in mid-mo!

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fine pair of bucks there.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Nice looking pair! Congrats and good luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That’s a really nice set of book ends you two took.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Both are nice bucks and a fine cabin to hunt and relax from, congrats to you both.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Damn fine! Congrats to the wife too, great whitetail bucks for you both!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Gorgeous deer

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Very nice!!

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,383
Posts18,469,596
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.