Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like a cutdown rifle to me. Basing that on a vague memory of rear sight location and the crescent buttplate. Help.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/789825922

LOL
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm not going to venture a guess other than to say that guns made for folks with deep pockets could have had just about anything done to them at the factory. Its just a matter of how much you were willing to pay. But I will also say that for a high end 99 this one was tastefully executed. To me, most high end 99s are just gaudy or tacky. Big money doesn't necessarily equate good taste.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Prolly cut. Front sight looks a little far back from muzzle. Need a letter to really know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifle should have been lettered. If it lettered I would think it would have sold.

Rear sight location makes it a rifle or short rifle barrel. So, if a 20" brl was ordered would Savage have used a rifle or carbine barrel? I don't know.

Serial makes it a 1905 not 1908 rifle. In 1905 Savage made a run of front sight as shown that are marked "SAVAGE". They were used on the Model1905 probably used on some specials, also. I don't know if that one is marked.

It is not uncommon for an early short rifle to have a crescent butt. (need letter)

Checkering is early "B" with fancy walnut which would add ~75% to the cost.

A standard/short rifle with a 20" brl...most likely cut down. Since this is an odd ball special order I think it has a much better chance of being factory... NEEDS A LETTER and probably a lot of luck that everything is noted in the log.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
all i can say is the termination of the wrap around checkering is a first for my old eyes. usually the joining border run is underneath the grip.
i'd take it .

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thank you. That's just what I needed. I don't know enough to come in out of the rain.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rick99
Rifle should have been lettered. If it lettered I would think it would have sold.

In light of the uncertainty I made a much lower offer that was accepted.

LOL
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Roy, When you get it please post pictures. Thanks

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Anything in particular you want to see Gary?

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm not a big fan of "fancy" rifles, but I have to say that one is damn nice!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2

don't know what Gary wants to see, but how about a 22 year old blonde foldout nude holding it? grin

Roy i cant tell from the pictures if the border run on the wrist is the same on left and right. that would make sense. fine weapon.

Last edited by deerstalker; 11/09/18.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deerstalker

don't know what Gary wants to see, but how about a 22 year old blonde foldout nude holding it? grin

People get arrested for less than the thoughts going on in my head right now.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In light of the uncertainty I made a much lower offer that was accepted.

Special order? That thing don't even have a pistol grip. ?? wink

Seriously Dood, that thing flew under radar. Good score.
Go ahead and letter it. But don't get your hopes up that rifle specs are included.***example
It does fit the profile of a special order rifle which it obviously is.
20" is not typical but it would be a special order.
Otherwise, things look right with this rifle. JMO
Did you say serial numbers match??

***example
[Linked Image]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Rick, I don't know if #'s match. I suspect they do, but I got a good deal on it so went ahead and got it regardless.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you got it for less than the asking price I think you killed a fat hog on that one. Checkering looks factory. If the numbers match that increases the possibility that the factory cut the barrel since it would be a factory custom. It bears a strong resemblance to my 1899H pictured on page 44 of my book.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put your $45 in the mail to Savage, please.

Is the front sight marked SAVAGE on the left side?

What would a set of wood like that cost today?

If the brl has been cut it could be replaced with a correct one and let the standard donner take the lumps on value.

Sounds like you made a smart move.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rick99
Put your $45 in the mail to Savage, please.

Is the front sight marked SAVAGE on the left side?

What would a set of wood like that cost today?

If the brl has been cut it could be replaced with a correct one and let the standard donner take the lumps on value.

Sounds like you made a smart move.

I can't believe you suggested a barrel swap! *shaking head*

It wouldn't be original to the gun anymore. it'd be a, gulp, counterfeit! grin Unoriginal parts. The shame of it. Tsk tsk.

Sorry Rick, I couldn't resist. grin The other day I took my lumps for wanting to match the stain color on a 99E 30-30 stock set, and I consider that minor. Now we're swapping barrels. ROR.

With that little fun gaff out of the way, why not make it original again? If I had a 69 Camaro SS that had been painted white, I'd sure make it hugger orange again!

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/11/18.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I met a guy in Oregon once.

Had tasty bear jerky, and a lovely wife.

I think he liked to irrigate things.

Told me once............

" I have no use for a .303!"

Nice one! Really nice one right there!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I met a guy in Oregon once.

Had tasty bear jerky, and a lovely wife.

I think he liked to irrigate things.

Told me once............

" I have no use for a .303!"

Nice one! Really nice one right there!

note to self- Remove Angus from Christmas list, find someone else to give this rifle to....

grin

I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge.

LOL
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Original or not, that’s just plain beautiful!

It ain't like it used to be but it'll do.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (7887mm08, allscopedup, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.