Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I lost a buck... 6 pointer at about 150 yards, Mule kicked when hit, then into the woods. Found where it was hit, fat chunks, bone shards, and a tuff of hair. No blood trail at all. Spent 3 1/2 hours till dark and never did find it. 6.5X57 with a 130g Accubond at about 2850fps. Rifle was sighted in 1" high at 100 yards. Aimed just behind the front shoulder midway. Where can one hit a deer that leaves fat and bone shards with no blood?? Low sternum is all I can think. Got a fork horn earlier, but I hate it when I know I hit a deer and did not recover it. First time. Spent several hours on a couple of others over the years but always found them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It happens. Don’t sweat it too much.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Mule kick suggests a good solid chest. No blood trail suggests the body cavity filling first before it starts pouring out the bullet holes. That deer is probably down within a couple hundred yards. Had one that didn't start a blood trail for nearly 75 yards, and then it started as a couple of drops and quickly became a garden hose spray.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like you hit the top and took some of the fins on top of the spine and some backstrap fat.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i'd find it, would get the weenie dog to track it down.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Sounds like you hit the top and took some of the fins on top of the spine and some backstrap fat.

honestly how do you surmise that.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Mule kick suggests a good solid chest. No blood trail suggests the body cavity filling first before it starts pouring out the bullet holes. That deer is probably down within a couple hundred yards. Had one that didn't start a blood trail for nearly 75 yards, and then it started as a couple of drops and quickly became a garden hose spray.

yup

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Caught the front leg low and took out brisket fat. I did that once. Trailed it 400 yds and found another piece of bone near the last sign. Coyotes need food to. It hurts your pride more that the deer herd. Think of how many thousands are wasted on the highways each year.

Now, if your family were hardscrabble homesteading on the prairie in the 1880s and hadnt eaten meat in 2 weeks and it was the first deer you had seen in 3 weeks......

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Was hunting with my SIL in Arkansas, kind of a swampy pine forest. They set me on a gas line clear cut. Looked over about a 1/4 mile square area, found one set of tracks that were fresh but never found the buck.. Gave my Daughter the Steyr when she married and moved, it was the one she learned to shoot with. It was nice to hunt with an old friend that I have taken many deer with before.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Fireball2

honestly how do you surmise that.

Non-vital bone and fat there.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Caught the front leg low and took out brisket fat. I did that once. Trailed it 400 yds and found another piece of bone near the last sign. Coyotes need food to. It hurts your pride more that the deer herd. Think of how many thousands are wasted on the highways each year.

Now, if your family were hardscrabble homesteading on the prairie in the 1880s and hadnt eaten meat in 2 weeks and it was the first deer you had seen in 3 weeks......

My thoughts too, maybe a brisket hit, you never know. What was the color and length of the hair? Did he run hard after kicking or hunch and lope off?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd still be looking, I never quit till I've exhausted all efforts.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Very short distance to the woods, landed and started to move did not seem labored to me. I would think a spine hit even if not terminal would have shocked the deer. Hair looked normal, brown tips white underneath about 2 inches. The largest bone shard was flat on one side. Thinking rib.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
This happens a lot more than folks, particularly on here, like to admit. A certain pink elephant sitting by the campfire.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
some people can't read sign and track.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
rjd, don't beat yourself up over it. If everyone took it as hard as you our herds would be much better off. I've never lost one but have missed a couple over the years. powdr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Very short distance to the woods, landed and started to move did not seem labored to me. I would think a spine hit even if not terminal would have shocked the deer. Hair looked normal, brown tips white underneath about 2 inches. The largest bone shard was flat on one side. Thinking rib.

If the deer was a classic broadside that is a low hit. Maybe you pulled the shot running a low hit in front of the leg. I doubt it's a spine hit, or a leg or muscle hit due to the hair, reaction and lack of blood.

If the fat was like wax, you are in brisket territory.

If you hit it in the brisket, that deer will most likely be out next year and healthy.

Last edited by 4winds; 11/14/18.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I won't say I am a good tracker, but most folks would have never found the spot with the fat, bone shards and hair.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The deer was broadside, thinking I hit it lower than I thought. Hoping it will be there next year. The fat was kind of waxy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
some people can't read sign and track.

If we were there we could. We're just guessin'. When a guy flinches doesn't he pull high? Not sayin the OP does or doesn't, who knows?

What kind of hair?

LOL
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,404 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.