Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#13281184 11/14/18
Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, CWD has made its way (or more like been discovered) in MS with what is assumed the third case since the first discovery of a whitetail buck in the MS delta last year.

https://www.mdwfp.com/media/news/wi...cond-issaquena-county-white-tailed-deer/

To the guys that have been dealing with this for awhile, what all did you change about the way you processed your deer? Do y’all get each deer checked? This is such a change from my normal, I’m just gathering all the info I can. Looks like the MDWFP has multiple sample collection sites already set up for testing and I’m hearing a 7-10 day turnaround. We shall see how it goes but it’s a terribly sad situation especially the more I read about it.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don't worry that much about it. It will not decimate your deer herds.
The spouse works in the building where WG&F does their CWD testing, the head man at the lab does not even get his animals tested. No human cases at all, recent study that shows it crossed to monkeys has not been vetted by peers yet and is in question.

We literally hunt right across the fence form the Wyoming research facility where it was found and is studied, took 4 mature deer and none of them tested positive. G&F was very surprised by the findings.
Our results were back in 2 days from WG&F lab.

Deer and elk are doing just fine in this area, the herd is not crashing .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The deer found in Pontotoc county is fairly close to a property i hunt. I'm pretty conserved also about eating and processing.
For the ones that have been in the cwd zones in other places do you eat without testing deer? Also do you keep in separate coolers while draining and process separately?
Thanks for any info

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WI. has CWD is the southern part of the state and they do have testing sites set up down there for it. I hunt up north, so I don't worry about it, but it was found in captive deer and it has shut down baiting and feeding in the surrounding counties up north. Lots of guys have forgotten how to hunt deer here and if they can't carry a bucket of corn in one hand and their rifle in the other, they are lost. License sales are down here from what I'm told. One legislator proposed that a hunter get paid $1,000. for bringing in a CWD infected animal and the land owner get another $300. to help hunters reduce the CWD infected deer population.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A guy that works for me has a cabin in Hampshire Co., WV. Hampshire Co. is not known for CWD, but Mineral Co. right up the road is a CWD Zone. Last week he was there and a friend of his who owns an orchard next door, shot an 8 point. As they were cutting it up they noticed that the thing didn't have any fat on it and was skin and bones. While talking about it, the guy that shot it said that the deer was basically walking around in the orchard in circles and wasn't headed in any one direction. They took it to DNR to get it tested, but the game warden said it would take a couple of weeks to send out a sample to get it tested. The game warden said that from what he was seeing and the way it was acting when he shot it, that it was likely to have CWD, but he would test it if they wanted him to. They declined and took the deer and dumped it. You'd think that DNR would want to incinerate it or something. Don't know if it can spread by just dumping it in a trash pile at the end of the farm. I heard it can get into the soil, but not sure about that.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
A guy that works for me has a cabin in Hampshire Co., WV. Hampshire Co. is not known for CWD, but Mineral Co. right up the road is a CWD Zone. Last week he was there and a friend of his who owns an orchard next door, shot an 8 point. As they were cutting it up they noticed that the thing didn't have any fat on it and was skin and bones. While talking about it, the guy that shot it said that the deer was basically walking around in the orchard in circles and wasn't headed in any one direction. They took it to DNR to get it tested, but the game warden said it would take a couple of weeks to send out a sample to get it tested. The game warden said that from what he was seeing and the way it was acting when he shot it, that it was likely to have CWD, but he would test it if they wanted him to. They declined and took the deer and dumped it. You'd think that DNR would want to incinerate it or something. Don't know if it can spread by just dumping it in a trash pile at the end of the farm. I heard it can get into the soil, but not sure about that.

Prions are literally indestructible. Even incineration is doubtful as to destroying them, but it is certainly better than dumping. From what I understand they could be in the soil for years even decades after that.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I get my deer tested before being processed. It takes about 2 days to get results in Wisconsin. I don't think I would advise eating a positive deer, but that's just my opinion.

Yes, dumping carcasses or attempting to compost them will only leave the prions in the soil for other deer. This is a crazy disease because the prions that cause it last forever in the environment despite attempts at burning or chemical disinfection. Sauk co. WI is THE CWD capitol of the world and they still have a lot of deer running around. My guess is this slow-moving disease doesn't show itself until after the animal has reached sexual maturity. The infected but not yet symptomatic animal can reproduce and maintain the population before dying.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Officials are claiming a 1 hour soak in a 50/50 bleach/water solution will disinfect processing equipment from the prions. I doubt many processors are going to follow that recommendation between every deer though. Wouldn’t doubt what CWD puts a lot of them out of business.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think that they are going to figure out eventually that it is something that has always been around to one degree or another. A lot of deer will die of other causes or even old age before they get sick or show any symptoms of it.

Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I think that they are going to figure out eventually that it is something that has always been around to one degree or another. A lot of deer will die of other causes or even old age before they get sick or show any symptoms of it.

This right here is what I have come to the conclusion of as well. At least it makes the most sense to me from my limited reading on the subject. Actually said the very same thing today at work.

Last edited by Sixpack; 11/15/18.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my opine from the hours and hours of research on both CWD and EHD both have been around as long as whitetail deer have been around.

EHD is a wee more easy to figure and understand than a Prion no doubt.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 3,134 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,263
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.