Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

David

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MILES58
Not if you have half a brain! I test EVERY bullet in EVERY rifle I use in milk jugs like this To prove to myself that they will open at a minimum velocity and that they are spinning enough to be stable.

Geez, I wonder how I've gotten along all these years without milk jug testing all my bullets.

Do you line up the pebbles in your driveway too? I've heard that can cause some issues if you're not on top of it.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Fotis
Both out of a 7mm rem mag. 168 gr VLD. Blew up on a mule deer shoulder shot under 100 yards. The other was at 350 yards. Both superficial wounds about the size of a small paper plate. No penetration to the vitals. Had to be put down by shooting them again.
Do not ask me how but when they were shot again they worked ok.

I shot a very large bodied bull last year at 200 yards with the same bullet, quartering to, in the shoulder....

I got an exit....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have seen Hunting VLDs blow up on shoulders, have seen the same with an Amax. Would most certainly call those failures.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One mans treasure is another mans trash sounds like to me

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Have seen Hunting VLDs blow up on shoulders, have seen the same with an Amax. Would most certainly call those failures.

That's unfortunate.....

Best hunting bullet, including Scenar's, bar none I've ever used as long as you don't have an impact above 2700 I'd say with context to penetration, BC, etc. And the country I hunt is also context. Sometimes getting closer than 500 is simply not possible....

THE best low impact bullet I've ever used....

- Greg

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Judman
I hear the term thrown around slot, what exactly is bullet failure, and why? Thanks

It depends on what the bullet fails to do.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GregW

That's unfortunate.....

Best hunting bullet, including Scenar's, bar none I've ever used as long as you don't have an impact above 2700 I'd say with context to penetration, BC, etc. And the country I hunt is also context. Sometimes getting closer than 500 is simply not possible....

THE best low impact bullet I've ever used....

Agreed love em in my “6.5 ai....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Greg, most things in life are a bit of a compromise.If I was certain, that all of my shots were to be at extended ranges.....I would use a bullet suitable for reduced velocities. But....backing up to say, 500 yards or so seems counterproductive. wink
As some of my game has been taken well under 30 yards, I must consider that in bullet selection. I also, will not wait for the “classic” broadside shot, that may not be offered! I have confidence that I will get, at least partial expansion out to around 800 yards....about 200 yards farther than I am confident in “my” abilities. So, at least in theory....I’m good from 3100 fps to around 1800 fps. That should cover most any hunting situation I should ever be in! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by memtb
Greg, most things in life are a bit of a compromise.If I was certain, that all of my shots were to be at extended ranges.....I would use a bullet suitable for reduced velocities. But....backing up to say, 500 yards or so seems counterproductive. wink
As some of my game has been taken well under 30 yards, I must consider that in bullet selection. I also, will not wait for the “classic” broadside shot, that may not be offered! I have confidence that I will get, at least partial expansion out to around 800 yards....about 200 yards farther than I am confident in “my” abilities. So, at least in theory....I’m good from 3100 fps to around 1800 fps. That should cover most any hunting situation I should ever be in! memtb

I am in about the same boat memtb, but I'll never poo poo others choices since we all have different requirements in our gear. I see it and hear it from my buddies. Some want thru and thru penetration, some want a big, disruptive hole, and others want the least expensive thing they can stuff in the chamber. Pretty awesome time to live in to have so many choices out there for our favorite rifles..

Semper Fi
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Correct...
I agree, everything (bullets, gear, etc.) Is a give or take...

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by beretzs

I am in about the same boat memtb, but I'll never poo poo others choices since we all have different requirements in our gear. I see it and hear it from my buddies. Some want thru and thru penetration, some want a big, disruptive hole, and others want the least expensive thing they can stuff in the chamber. Pretty awesome time to live in to have so many choices out there for our favorite rifles..

It is the magic time for bullets no doubt...

- Greg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I would call it performance as expected.

Son-in-Law shot an antelope with a 168g A-MAX, .30-06 at about 100 yards. Shooting downhill, slightly quartering towards. Shredded part of the left strap and ham.

Wouldn't use them on game if paid to do so.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 11/15/18. Reason: punctuation

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had some bad experiences with the bergers when they first came out, including the dreaded shoulder bone grenade, and swore off of them. I decided to retry them last year in my 6.5x284 NORMA when the AMAXs were discontinued and the ELDs weren't readily available yet. I changed my mind regarding bergers after killing 3 elk and 1 mule deer with them in the past 2 years.

Same with AMAXs; nothing but stellar performance for me with 3 antelope, 2 elk and 1 deer before they were discontinued. Wish I had tried them earlier.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
168 VLD Bergers out of a 308 have been very effective on large hogs on my deer lease. No failures to penetrate to the vitals.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Same with AMAXs; nothing but stellar performance for me with 3 antelope, 2 elk and 1 deer before they were discontinued. Wish I had tried them earlier.

I just dug a 162 Amax out of a Mule Deer... it’s the second 162 Amax that’s been rather unimpressive. Both deer died... but both times the shot situation was ideal. I wouldn’t call it ”failure” in any way... other than failure to exit... I’d just like to see a little more penetration out of a 160 grain 7mm bullet.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Both out of a 7mm rem mag. 168 gr VLD. Blew up on a mule deer shoulder shot under 100 yards. The other was at 350 yards. Both superficial wounds about the size of a small paper plate. No penetration to the vitals. Had to be put down by shooting them again.

I shot a very large bodied bull last year at 200 yards with the same bullet, quartering to, in the shoulder....

I got an exit....

And I have seen this also......

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I just dug a 162 Amax out of a Mule Deer... it’s the second 162 Amax that’s been rather unimpressive. Both deer died... but both times the shot situation was ideal. I wouldn’t call it ”failure” in any way... other than failure to exit... I’d just like to see a little more penetration out of a 160 grain 7mm bullet.

I wouldn't say I am super impressed with the AMAX's performance, but they've worked just as well as anything else. With a solid lung or shoulder blade hit, the critters run 10 or so yards and fall over dead, just like with core lokts, partitions, grand slams or anything else. One bull elk fell over instantly but the other critters acted like normal when hit.

I don't believe I ever hit a critter directly on the humerous with an AMAX though.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I got an exit....

And I have seen this also......

The bloody spot below is an exit hole from a .264" 140 berger VLD; 2 weeks ago. I have no idea what the velocity was, but it was from a hot loaded 6.5x284 at 600 yards.
I was a bit surprised to see it exited, to be honest.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gleaned from another forum concerning NP failure... excuses people will use to defend NPs are worth a laugh and nothing more.

Anyone else have a Nosler Partition fail?
160 Grain, from a 7MM Remington Magnum, at about 40 yards.
It just shattered in the shoulder joint of a wild hog. Mangled the joint, but it didn't penetrate.
Probably impacted at 3000-2900 FPS.
I would have expected it to stay together and get into the lungs.

responses;

# "Any bullet , driven above or below its design range, can fail to perform as it should ...I would ask why
do you use a magnum at a 40 yd range ?

# "at that range and at that velocity, there was nothing the bullet could do, but to fail."

# " This is a classic case of pushing a bullet too fast for the circumstances it was used in..
That same load would have performed EXTREMELY well at 250 yards."

>>>>
Then there is this here marathon 15 page mess covering 6.5 Needmore 140 NP failure at 325 yds....

https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...ler-partition-with-6-5-creedmoor.208904/
>>>>

I can understand mankind making a less than perfect bullet, but why did a perfect God make
so many malfunctioning people......??...??.. grin

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 45 invisible), 1,810 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,002
Posts18,520,503
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.