Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wish I was a little younger and could afford to have you do me a FJ40,
Nowadays a RTD Tacoma gets what I do done but once there was a time it was different.
You do magnificent work Dave

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i personally would not want to use a beautifully restored classic very much. i would love to own one, but if i did it would be just for sunday drives, etc and i couldn't really justify it. for a real hunting truck i would rather buy a new one and use it until its dead. i feel the same way about really nice classic cars.

that said, i live in the rust belt. i'd probably feel different if i lived down south.

My diploma is a DD214
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I think it's a fine idea.

[Linked Image]

That is a nice truck.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dave, I told you about the 79 F-150 I ordered out in 1979, for then It was damn near perfect for ME, now that I have a 2016 F-150 with a 5 L V-8 that has 2.5x more horsepower than that old 4.9L 6cyl and the 5 makes 2-3 more mpg I couldn't go back. If a guy could take the Fuel Injected 4.9 out of a 87-89 F-150 and put it into a 79 he would really have a truck. 79's had that 31 spline axles that crapped out at 100-120k taking the old frt loader 9 1/4" differential with them. They had some faults, everything does. Right now the trucks around here in SD that people wax eloquently about are F250 -350 7.3 L naturally aspirated diesels and Powerstrokes from the early 90's to 2003 vintage. Find one nice and clean under 150k miles and they want 12k to 16k for it. If you don't have that kind of CASH the bank laughs at a guy who wants to borrow it for a 15 to 26 year old truck. That makes your market even smaller. Maybe if you went to a super cab 1/2 ton from 1987-1995 vintage with a creeper gear 4spd and a 4.9L up grade things due for replacement and gave it a really neat camo paint job as well as keeping the price under 12k you could sell them as genuine "hunting trucks" not yuppy mobiles? I don't know. hate to see you paint your self into what might be a damned small market. Test the waters with one in the 10-12K range first and if no one can see the value of it keep and use it your self. Magnum_Bob (Man)

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by northern_dave
...I'm talking mostly of the 67 to 79 ford and chevy pickup trucks, mostly in 4 wheel drive offerings.

You definitely got my attention on that - have a real soft spot for those years. I've had this '71 Blazer since 1992 - it was in great shape at the time but the years have taken a toll and it needs some major sheet metal rehab. I'd love to have you work your magic on it, but am doubtful I could swing the full package that I know you do.

[Linked Image]

Not too long back, I told my wife if I found another '72 short box (had one and let it go), I'd buy it and sell the Blazer rather than restoring it. That was 6-7 years ago and I still have both trucks - have a guy trying to buy the Blazer but can't seem to part with it...

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
What about a Dodge Power Wagon?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by hanco; 11/15/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A hunting truck needs to be fuel efficient, dependable, low geared with a winch. I can see $12,000 to $15,000 No more. Quick flips. Buy it for $2,000 put $5,000 to $8,000 into it down the road. Buy trucks with cheap rebuilds available. Dodge 318/360, chevy 350, Ford 351/302.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Thanks guys for all the replies and feedback. I've got perspectives from those that have looked at this as a "would I or could I myself buy this?" and also the perspective of "yes, there are folks with the funds for such toys and I believe they may buy."

I've got good feedback. I appreciate some of the links that people shared too.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Also I should explain the intent is in no way to compete with modern trucks. I have a modern truck and I have old trucks, The modern truck is comfort, function etc. The vintage trucks for me are nostalgia, smiles per miles. They remind me of my childhood, riding passenger with an older family figure such as a grandfather, an uncle etc.

I should have been more clear in my original post and also should have considered the variety nationally speaking in what a "hunting truck" outing looks like. For some it will be creek crossings, dragging the frame across rocks and mud with a winch pulling, running through brush etc. For others it may be a drive on a dry 2 track out to where you let the dog out and chase around in the tall prairie grass for pheasants.

My buyer is the successful large operation farmer that wants a "new" old truck that's super clean and tight, he's going to drive it to town, to the bank, to the feed store, or where ever farmers go. He had one when he was younger or his dad had one.

Same damn story that applies to your 55 chevy car owner. It doesn't replace his taurus SHO or what ever the hell he normally drives.

My customers might be retirement age blue collar guys that never bought toys for themselves before. Might be a young tech guy that just thinks old trucks are cool. Might be an LL Bean variety outdoorsman, needs a cherried out wagoneer or some $hit.

I don't even need to know what their deal is, don't care really. If they stick the money in my hand, it's theirs.

Know anybody with a 60k fishing boat? Probably a few right?

I'm not worried too much about there being a buyer. I fished for feedback and got it, much appreciated.

I think what I'll do is experiment with one build, see how it goes. We'll probably find a project, develop a plan, then pick a spot on the calendar to shut down on customer projects and bang out a project truck. Probably a 2 month chunk of time. Then get back on the customer stuff while we list the truck.

If it looks good we'll do another, if it still looks good I'll probably consider restricting or closing the customer project door. clear out the waiting list and switch over to building trucks to our own spec and selling. We'd leave developing shop projects open for adoption basically, allowing an interested party to dictate build direction with purchase commitment.

I believe that's probably the way we'll go.

Something clever here.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Now, if I had $60K to toss around. I would much rather be driving a cherry '76 k2500 than a 2018 anything. But it would have to be equipped with a solid six speed to handle today's 80 mph speed limit and still work for a living.

But I am far from a typical customet. I have $12K into a '92 Toyota PU, and it does not even have a radio or AC, or 4WD.

And I will be long dead before I have the cash to pay for a $60K vehicle.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys for all the replies and feedback. I've got perspectives from those that have looked at this as a "would I or could I myself buy this?" and also the perspective of "yes, there are folks with the funds for such toys and I believe they may buy."

I've got good feedback. I appreciate some of the links that people shared too.

The litmus test.......how many that said it was a great idea have offered to send a deposit so you can start building one for them?

I sincerely wish you luck....you certainly have the ability to do the work!!

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave, its still a niche business, and if its steady money youre after that aint it. The average person likes the idea of it, but would rather have a new vehicle with warranty. The people that would want this change their minds like you change your underwear. One day youre good enough for em, the next youre not. I know a bunch of guys here that do it, and they all supplement by wholesaling cars. And that may be for you. Only you can know. I wish I was still in the car business, some days. But I hate being run ragged wholesaling. And the older I get the more I hate working with the public. Wish you the best though I hope you know that. Good luck!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your clarification helps.

Basically, it's a truck that aims toward a similar purpose as your cars.
But, a little less "show car".

That makes it more viable in my mind.

There are people that would love to own your boys pickup.

(Me. If I was doing a fleet of fun vehicles. And a '67 to '72 Chevy, or a late '80's Dodge)

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I can picture something like an old crewcab powerwagon body on a back country prepped Tundra. Who says you can't have it all?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Northern Dave, I drive cars each year at the Barret Jackson auction here in Arizona and have been seeing those trucks go for big dollars, especially built up late 60s early 70s Chevy shortbed 4x4's and early broncos most recently. The old Dodge Power Wagons like posted above, are off the charts. You may be able to access past sales off of their web page. There is definitely a market, as they are a time machine for the buyers, but it can be fickle.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JGray
Not too long back, I told my wife if I found another '72 short box (had one and let it go), I'd buy it and sell the Blazer rather than restoring it. That was 6-7 years ago and I still have both trucks - have a guy trying to buy the Blazer but can't seem to part with it...

[Linked Image]

Do you take that truck hunting? I mean seriously backwoods, oak brush, mountain tops kinda stuff? I'd give my left nut for one, but I know how it'd get used too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And because I was over at Hemmings and it seemed to fit in.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/...-1970-chevrolet-k20-4x4-pickup-restomod/

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ooh the though of a modern Ford Hi-Boy would be enough to give me a........ Well you get the drift

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
... He had one when he was younger or his dad had one. ...

This ^^^^^ is the "hook" for me. My dad's first pickup was a mid-70's C10 with vinyl seats and rubber floor mats. There is a comparable K20 sitting 1/2 mile from work, for sale. Not restored. But, no visible rust. And I am too C.S. to stop because I don't NEED another truck...

I think your plan to "try one" and see how it goes is sound. If you are making profit on the rods, I wouldn't totally phase them out. If you are losing money on the rods, and you MAKE money on the trucks.... The decision becomes pretty simple... AS someone noted above, knowing "where" to market your product could affect the number crunching as well...

Regardless of which direction you choose, I wish you the best in your future endeavors. America is still the greatest country on earth !

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 16 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,484
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.