-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve seen VLD’s blow up on a shoulder shot. A 140 pour of a 264 Win mag.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starman
Gleaned from another forum concerning NP failure... excuses people will use to defend NPs are worth a laugh and nothing more.
Anyone else have a Nosler Partition fail?
160 Grain, from a 7MM Remington Magnum, at about 40 yards.
It just shattered in the shoulder joint of a wild hog. Mangled the joint, but it didn't penetrate.
Probably impacted at 3000-2900 FPS.
I would have expected it to stay together and get into the lungs.

responses;
# "Any bullet , driven above or below its design range, can fail to perform as it should ...I would ask why
do you use a magnum at a 40 yd range ?

# "at that range and at that velocity, there was nothing the bullet could do, but to fail."

# " This is a classic case of pushing a bullet too fast for the circumstances it was used in..
That same load would have performed EXTREMELY well at 250 yards."

Have never seen a Partition “fail” but have seen them lose their front-end lead. Those, of course, came from very dead animals.

1. “… why do you use a magnum at a 40 yd range ?”
Because it is what you have in my hands at the time. Set up for a 400-600 shot on cow elk one day and ended up taking it at 25 yards – after passing on a shot at 25 FEET. You don’t always know at what range your shot opportunities will come. This with a 30-06, but I’ve taken other shots under 40 yards in open country with my .300WM and 7mm RM. Bullets did a fine job and performed as expected.

2. "at that range and at that velocity, there was nothing the bullet could do, but to fail."
I would expect a Partition to hold together, at least from the partition back, even at those impact velocities. There are certainly other bullets that can do so.

3. “This is a classic case of pushing a bullet too fast for the circumstances it was used in..”
Nosler claims an “Unlimited” maximum working velocity for Partition bullets. I wouldn’t hesitate to use a Partition at 2900-3000fps impact velocity, but I wouldn’t expect a classic long-retained-shank mushroom, either.

I do have to question what path the bullet took to “mangle” the shoulder joint when the expectation was it would then get into the lungs. Same kind of zig-zag bullet Oswald supposedly used on Kennedy?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oswald was a stunt shooter.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

I do have to question what path the bullet took to “mangle” the shoulder joint when the expectation was it would then get into the lungs. Same kind of zig-zag bullet Oswald supposedly used on Kennedy?

Pigs supposedly have their lungs a bit further forward than deer/elk...at least that's what I have been told, so if true, the lungs would be more in line with the shoulder.

Even if this isn't true, an angling to shot can put the shoulder directly in front of the forward portion of the lungs.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
To further “stir the pot”....I would prefer an “unexpanded” (failure) bullet that penetrates the vitals and exits, over, a bullet that “completely comes apart” (failure), failing to reach the vitals....causing a very nasty, slow death, superficial wound. Even a bullet “penciling through” the lungs, will likely cause death fairly rapidly. If the hunter has “any” tracking skills, and patience....the animal “should” be recovered! As usual.... JMO! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Oswald was innocent.

Have you not seen "The Shooter"?

Paper patched bullets RULE!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gleaned from another forum concerning NP failure... ...

I do have to question what path the bullet took to “mangle” the shoulder joint when the expectation was it would then get into the lungs.

I question the value of anonymous fourth-hand reports of "bullet failure" that were "gleaned from another forum." Isn't that akin to "the guy at the gun shp told me that this happened to his brother-in-law's neighbor?"

It's hard enough to sift through the BS on this forum where you can at least develop a sense of someone's credibility by having read what they've posted in the past.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the whole point of Starman posting what was wrote on another forum was to show the ridiculousness of such....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I think the whole point of Starman posting what was wrote on another forum was to show the ridiculousness of such....

This tells me he bought the concept of "bullet failure" hook, line, and sinker:

.....excuses people will use to defend NPs are worth a laugh and nothing more.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Gleaned from another forum concerning NP failure... ...

I do have to question what path the bullet took to “mangle” the shoulder joint when the expectation was it would then get into the lungs.

I question the value of anonymous fourth-hand reports of "bullet failure" that were "gleaned from another forum." Isn't that akin to "the guy at the gun shp told me that this happened to his brother-in-law's neighbor?"

It's hard enough to sift through the BS on this forum where you can at least develop a sense of someone's credibility by having read what they've posted in the past.

Amen to that SP! My group and myself have driven that very same Partition through elk knuckles at pretty short range and haven’t “blown up moving a few 100 FPS faster a few times. Not saying it didn’t happen but I have a tough time believing it.

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Oswald was innocent.

Have you not seen "The Shooter"?

Paper patched bullets RULE!

Oswald was a tool.

Yes.

Fact.

Boom.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I question the value of anonymous fourth-hand reports of "bullet failure" that were "gleaned from another forum." Isn't that akin to
"the guy at the gun shp told me that this happened to his brother-in-law's neighbor?"

It's hard enough to sift through the BS on this forum where you can at least develop a sense of someone's credibility
by having read what they've posted in the past.

You can question the credibility of the failure all you like, but the absurd excuses given for NP failure are still what people gave.

The members of that forum defending the NP believed him , otherwise why would they have submitted
excuses for the reported failure...?

This tells me he bought the concept of "bullet failure" hook, line, and sinker:

How so...?

All I did was point out the absurdity of NP fans defending a NP failure which they believed to be true.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Were we drawn into a Ponzi scheme of meaninglessness?

Will gun forums ever learn about terminal ballistics discussions?

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by sambo3006
It seems like the common denominator to almost all the monometal bullet failures is not enough velocity, either due to long range or using a bullet too heavy to be started out at sufficient velocity by the given cartridge. The 168 gr TTSX mentioned earlier started out at 2650 fps from a .308 is a prime example. The 130 gr TTSX would seem to be a much better fit for the. 308. I try to start monos at 3000 fps or more. Even at that, I don't expect wide expansion at 400 yards. If I'm hunting out west where I might reasonably expect long shots, I don't shoot monos.

With no disrespect meant, I did a PG cull hunt in SA (Aloe Ridge Safaris) on the East Cape in May & June of this year. Rifle was a Blaser R93 in .30/06 with a 22" barrel. Ammunition was factory loaded Barnes 168 grain TTSX, which shot 200 yard groups of just under an inch. Except for a poorly shot warthog, all the animals were DRT. Most shots were 200 yards or under. With the exception of the warthog, no second shots were required.

All I can say is that the 168 TTSX worked just fine for me. The factory loaded Barnes ammunition proved to be more accurate than my carefully assembled handloads. It is now my go too load in .30/06, but if hunting leopard, I'd employ a 180 grain Partition. Ditto for shooting impala for bait or camp meat.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I failed to find the 150 Sierra pro hunter from the 270 my daughter killed a 4x5 buck with a couple days ago. It went thru both shoulders the heart was touched and one lung destroyed. Someone forgot to tell that bullet it was no good. Ed k

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Originally Posted by sambo3006
It seems like the common denominator to almost all the monometal bullet failures is not enough velocity, either due to long range or using a bullet too heavy to be started out at sufficient velocity by the given cartridge. The 168 gr TTSX mentioned earlier started out at 2650 fps from a .308 is a prime example. The 130 gr TTSX would seem to be a much better fit for the. 308. I try to start monos at 3000 fps or more. Even at that, I don't expect wide expansion at 400 yards. If I'm hunting out west where I might reasonably expect long shots, I don't shoot monos.

With no disrespect meant, I did a PG cull hunt in SA (Aloe Ridge Safaris) on the East Cape in May & June of this year. Rifle was a Blaser R93 in .30/06 with a 22" barrel. Ammunition was factory loaded Barnes 168 grain TTSX, which shot 200 yard groups of just under an inch. Except for a poorly shot warthog, all the animals were DRT. Most shots were 200 yards or under. With the exception of the warthog, no second shots were required.

All I can say is that the 168 TTSX worked just fine for me. The factory loaded Barnes ammunition proved to be more accurate than my carefully assembled handloads. It is now my go too load in .30/06, but if hunting leopard, I'd employ a 180 grain Partition. Ditto for shooting impala for bait or camp meat.

How many animals were shot? Not a single one took a step?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Any bullet, can “fail” to live up or down .....to it’s reputation! grin memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/18/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Bullets such as TSX/TTSX, E-Tip, etc. can work very well. They also have the highest rate of failure to upset in properly conducted terminal ballistics tests.

More or less, that's what I've been saying for the last 15 years... when they work, mono's work very well. But they fail at a higher average than all other bullets - and possibly all other bullets combined.

I use monos exclusively now due to paranoia with feeding my kids lead tainted meat. I shoot for bone and when that works out they kill very fast and predictably. If you dont hit bone they are erratic in the time it takes an animal to expire.
A friends daughter shot a small muley buck the other day with a 100gr TTSX out of a 25-06. The shot was quartering such that only one lung was hit and no bone. My friend said the animal had little reaction to the shot, left no blood trail and ran off over a hundred yards were it stopped and laid down. He was going to shoot it again but had no shot due to proximity to houses and cows. Said it took a long time to expire.
I have no doubt a 100gr Nosler BT would have not had the same result.

Last edited by BWalker; 11/18/18.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Btw Shooting water jugs is just playing around and isnt representitive in any way of what a bullet does when it hits flesh.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It’s likely better than believing everything you read on the internet! wink. memtb

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (2ndwind, 308xray, 41rem, 3040Krag, 270cowboy, 358WCF, 60 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,024
Posts18,520,825
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.