Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,735 of 1,842 1 2 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I've already said so in txt message but congrats to Kennedy! I've watched Joey take 2 deer with my 220 swift and both went straight down. The quick little bullets will get it done!

Something clever here.

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
That's a nice doe too, wow. The pics on my computer screen show it better than the pics I got over the weekend Tom. Lots of meat there!

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
At about 8am yesterday, I took a poke at a sneaky timber goat beyond that far spruce tree in the center of this pic. Beyond the spruce and a little to the right. The deer isn't in this picture, pic is just a reference view from the stand I hunted consistently this year.

[Linked Image]

It wasn't a super clean path for the bullet, apparently.

Hole in the center of this old diamond willow.

[Linked Image]

exit side

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
But it worked out. No tracking and chasing.

[Linked Image]

Goofy little runt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Congrats Dave! It’s nice to see the deer coming back to that area.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I almost didn't go out Sunday morning. Glad I did though, I realized I hadn't shot a deer from that stand for a number of years now. I've taken deer pictures of ones that I've passed, but I hadn't taken a deer from that stand since about.... 2012? Something like that. Also I didn't take a deer last year, I think I took one from a ladder stand in 2017.

Anyways, that's 3 for our camp with rifle season behind us. We have muzzle loader season starting next weekend.

Looking at our "wall of fame" at the cabin, we used to have years of 5 to 6 deer, that dwindled to 2 to 1 deer through a stretch of years that was too long. It's actually been a few years since we've done better than 2 deer. So, 3 is the right direction. I hope it continues to rebound back towards the good hunting that we used to have.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by tzone
Congrats Dave! It’s nice to see the deer coming back to that area.

We had 3 cameras out, we figure we had 6 or 7 different bucks on cam. Most were 8 point or better, average "shooter bucks" or slightly better than average. Missy's buck and this one I shot yesterday were not on any of our cameras.

That to us is encouraging, means we had at least 8 stirring around. We have a positive outlook, hoping for a low winter kill number.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats Dave!! What kind of "super" bullet you using that shoots thru trees to kill deer?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great Stuff Kennedy, JackosorusHamer & Tom !

Most excellent.

grin

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Also great news !!

Congratulations Dave.

Glad to hear ChickenBuck is bouncing back too.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by j_elky
Congrats Dave!! What kind of "super" bullet you using that shoots thru trees to kill deer?

Hi Jeff, they were factory loads by winchester. 150 gr "XP" (extreme point). It's a tipped JSP, nothing too special. 30-06

I used your knife too, flawless as usual.

Something clever here.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Well done ND. Kennedy too! Ol T-zone got himself a couple draggers for his golden years in the deer blind - well played Tom! And that pic had oughta be blowed up and framed. Something to look at in the office during the off season.

We went 2 for 4 in our camp, 7pt and an 8pt. Cold and lots of snow up there. Going back up after copious turkey consumption.

Footnote: bean soup for lunch and kraut/sausage with Busch beers for supper make for interesting cover scent in da deer woods. Recommend spacing out the aforementioned repast as to minimize the olfactory assault on deer and camp members.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Hey Jeff,

My new knife is getting quite the workout this season! It’s stayed sharp through 4 deer!

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Hi Jeff, they were factory loads by winchester. 150 gr "XP" (extreme point). It's a tipped JSP, nothing too special. 30-06

I used your knife too, flawless as usual.

Definitely over-penetrated the tree. wink Deer was DRT...after tree perforation. I'd say that's pretty special. Ups the coolness factor too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dave.....pretty good performance from that bullet and tricky shooting from you!! I used to work with an old finlander that swore by his 45-70's. He had three of them. Same kind of deal, shot at a small buck and tipped it over. Turns out he center punched a 4" oak before he hit the deer.

Tom....glad to hear it is holding up well.

Jeff

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was wondering about a Chickenbuck report! Glad to see that meat pole with a little sag in it. I laid on the couch part of Sunday afternoon. Man, did that feel weird.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Dave.....pretty good performance from that bullet and tricky shooting from you!! I used to work with an old finlander that swore by his 45-70's. He had three of them. Same kind of deal, shot at a small buck and tipped it over. Turns out he center punched a 4" oak before he hit the deer.

Jeff

I shot a doe once and accidentally hit a green poplar branch probably only 10 yds in front of me and the deer was at about 100 yds. I got lucky on that one too, she dropped but needed a finishing shot. This diamond willow was very close to the deer, again an accident. This thing was old and rotten, but I'm sure it was enough to initiate the bullet expansion/deformation. I've had a shot deflected by a branch to where a miss was the result too.

All considered, I advise against shooting through any branches if it can be helped. This deer was moving and I was tracking as I let the shot go. It worked out, and I'm thankful.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Jeff

I shot a doe once and accidentally hit a green poplar branch probably only 10 yds in front of me and the deer was at about 100 yds. I got lucky on that one too, she dropped but needed a finishing shot. This diamond willow was very close to the deer, again an accident. This thing was old and rotten, but I'm sure it was enough to initiate the bullet expansion/deformation. I've had a shot deflected by a branch to where a miss was the result too.

All considered, I advise against shooting through any branches if it can be helped. This deer was moving and I was tracking as I let the shot go. It worked out, and I'm thankful.
I have to admit I did one of those too. Sawed off a sapling about 10n yards off the end of the barrel and hit a buck 50 yards out.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
HAPPY TURKEY DAY

Hope everyone had or is having a great hunting season, not to mention a great year!!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Heading back up north after turkey. Hopefully coming back with some venison. Good luck to those still after them!

Page 1,735 of 1,842 1 2 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.