Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a Mauser 8X57 mm sporter. It was a rather expensive conversion from military to sporter. The barrel was tuned to a new profile (still retaining the Nazi stampings), the bolt handle replaced with a nice turn-downed handle, all the metal beautifully polished and blued and, a highly figured stock fitted. Unless the guy was a gunsmith,it was a rather expensive conversion. BUT, it only shoots 3-4" groups.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have only owned one 8x57..."supposedly" it was a battlefield pick up in Russia, which they, in turn cleaned it up and sold them. Mine was a K98 and it had Nazi markings. I had a taller front sight put on and I only shot Turkish surplus ammo. Some said it was machinegun ammo, I don't know but it was hot stuff! My point is that it was ( still is, I gave it to a young man in my church) a great shooter! I won't say how good as I don't want to be thought of as a liar...but it was/is, with that ammo, at "least" a 1 MOA rifle.
I say that as I believe any 8x57 is worthy of tricking out, investigating, trial and error, doing everything one can to get them to shoot acceptably. To "me", I'd want at least a 2 inch/100yd setup. I can't accept bigger than that "for myself". I have "put in my time" with a rifle like that ( my dad's old Mod 742) when I was a young man. We shot it iron sights and it would do about 5-6 inches with 150gr Corlokt ammo. It didn't much matter as I never killed game over 50-60 yds with the thing! ha I later got some of the new Federal "Red Box" factory loads that used the Sierra 165 SBT. It then shot a nice, rounded 4" group. Still didn't matter, I hunted int the heavy woods with it, everything I shot with that particular load was under 40 yds! ha. So, I'm glad some guys are still messing with the older Mausers, but they can be shooters. It is certainly a powerful round. A friend of mine shot his cow elk with his old Persian Carbine 8x57 and 200 Nosler. His little rifle is a real shooter too.
For a safety Shaman, I think you could find a Mod 70 type pretty reasonable. someone put a Wisner Mod 70 type on my 7x57 Classic. It needed a bit of work to smooth it out, but it is fine now. I never had an issue with the Remington thumb safety, I really like them in fact. Good luck to you Pard.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Look at the Dayton Traister Safety Kit over on Brownells Mr Shaman...$22+ I think it is only two position but it is a wing safety.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Round 1 and 2 were about 1.5 feet high and a foot to the right, grouping inside 4 inches.

Deal sweetener? Maybe you should havve asked for some sweet-n-low. smile

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have an update for y'all on the Mauser From Hell.

I just came in from the range (well, it's the front porch), and the infamous Mauser From Hell just shot a 3-shot group with all 3 rounds touching. It was hot. I wasn't letting the barrel cool, and the 3 were perfectly stringed vertically. This makes it close to one of the best groups I've ever shot.

What made the difference? Back over the winter, I took a dowel and some 85 grit sandpaper and removed the old bedding from the forearm up to about 3 inches in front of the receiver. This was the first time I've had it out.

I also took the time before shooting to go out and mash down all the tall grass at the edge of the yard. Last year, if you remember that was one of the suspected causes of the flyers.

Thanks all for your help.

I've got 5 rounds left for the morning. I intend to see what it does on a cold barrel, in between shots with the 25-06 that I've got out to dial in.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just wanted to give you one last update on The Mauser From Hell. I kept it out in the blind all week, determined to use it on a deer.

On Saturday, the MFH finally got successfully blooded. At just over an hour after sun-up, a well-fed 6-point whitetail buck came out of the bushes into the pasture we call "The Garden of Stone." He was approximately 140 yards from my blind. I think he saw me put down my coffee because he stopped and looked my way.

I still have work to do on the safety, and I did not want to spend more money on this project without proving it, so I had been keeping the chamber cold. I jacked a round into the chamber, 175 grain Speer RN's over H4895. As I nestled the forearm into the bag, he turned broadside.

The new Timney trigger surprised me. I may want to set it a bit higher to compensate for cold fingers. It broke perfectly as I settled on a high shoulder shot. The buck disappeared. For a moment I was sure he had run back into the bushes and was now thundering down the ravine on Left Leg Creek, but before I could cycle another round, I saw hooves come up through the tall grass.

I had dropped him on the spot. The shot had missed the heart but taken out both lungs.

[Linked Image]

Pics and more details are here:

Finally! Shaman Scores a Buck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now *that's* a happy ending! laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hot damn, congrats shaman. My thumper just scored it's first victim as well.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Everybody thinks there's nothing better than building your own custom Mauser. On the way home, I started thinking about all I'd done to get to Saturday Morning:

Changed out the scope to a Bushnell Trophy 4-12X
Changed out the trigger to a Timney
Used Electrolysis to remove excessive copper from bore
Dyna-Tec Bore Coat
Attempted to install a Leupold STD mount to replace the busted one
Sent rifle off to gunsmith to have STD mount mounted and epoxy bedded.
Removed bedding from forearm-- free-floated barrel
3 bullets and two powders used in load development

. . . and all this for a rifle that weighs a pound more than my Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06.

The last remaining job is to install a safety that works properly with the scope in place.

Last edited by shaman; 11/19/18.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shaman
CGPaul: I did not see this response until now. I'll definately put this on the to-do list.

I got up this morning and went down to the bench and started working through the suggestions.

1) The bore sighter showed the scope had not moved. I then rapped the scope in various places and looked again. Again, no change. My guess is the mount is ok. I did not change out the scope. However, it's a new scope. And the fact that the zero had stayed put indicates to me this is not the problem.

2) I checked the screws. 60 lbs on the front and just beyond hand-tight on the rear. I could still slip a bill down the outside of the barrel.

3) While I was putting the bore sighter away, I noticed the bullets out on the bench. I purchased these back in 2013 from Grafs. They're PRVI Partisan 175 grain PSP's. What caught my eye was that they're marked .322" . All other 8mm bullets are .323" I don't know if .001" is significant. However, I have since acquired some Hornady 170 grain IL RN's . I think I may cook up a batch of those and see if there is a difference.

4) I inspected the muzzle crown one more time. There's nothing there that looks obviously out of place.

5) In regards to M. Mule Deer's concerns, I gave the whole rifle a good shake from the rattle and tapped it gently with a used tomato stake, while commanding all demons within to depart. I then put it back in the rack next to the M1 Garand. Normally I keep these two rifles on opposite ends of the rack for obvious reasons. However, under the circumstances, I figure the commanding presence of the Garand will have positive effects.

Mike the bullets and see if they measure .322 .......

IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,511
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.