Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Plus a big waste of money for redundant field performance, while having none of the benefits of having two rifles chambered for the same cartridge, such as owning an identical backup rifle in case of emergency, and the ease in logistics of stocking one type of ammo/components.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 16bore
Can't see the logic in 6.5 and 7-08, but you gotta do what you gotta do and eventually one will stand out.

OP,

I am a bit mystified as to why you would want multiple calibers so close in performance unless you just have an urge to buy two rifes. Just pick a caliber and go with it, spend the extra money on components, hunting trips, etc.

Personally I have never been able to tell the difference in recoil between the 308 and 7-08, I have not owned a 6.5 yet but from years of shooting a 260 Rem which virtually duplicates the 6.5 I can tell you that it does recoil a bit less.
Get a T-3 in any of the above calibers and it will work for the scenario outlined in your original post. The nice thing aboiut the T-3 is that everyone I have owned has been "plug and play" - just put a scope on it and go shoot small groups.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by drover
Can't see the logic in 6.5 and 7-08, but you gotta do what you gotta do and eventually one will stand out.

OP,

I am a bit mystified as to why you would want multiple calibers so close in performance unless you just have an urge to buy two rifes. Just pick a caliber and go with it, spend the extra money on components, hunting trips, etc.

Personally I have never been able to tell the difference in recoil between the 308 and 7-08, I have not owned a 6.5 yet but from years of shooting a 260 Rem which virtually duplicates the 6.5 I can tell you that it does recoil a bit less.
Get a T-3 in any of the above calibers and it will work for the scenario outlined in your original post. The nice thing aboiut the T-3 is that everyone I have owned has been "plug and play" - just put a scope on it and go shoot small groups.

drover

Exactly. The current popularity of 140-147 grain bullets in 6.5 Creedmoor makes for very little difference in recoil, when compared to 140 grain 7mm-08 and 150-155 grain 308 loads. As in, when I've shot similar rifles side by side the biggest difference I could detect between the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 308 was in noise level, not recoil.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Not looking to pick a fight here, but can someone explain to me the utility of having a Tikka in a short action. I mean the action length, weight, and usually barrel length is the same. If you’re going to get a .308, might as well make it a 30-06. If you’re going to get it rechambered to .358 Winchester, you might as well make it a .35 Whelen and so on and so forth.

It's simply a manufacturing convenience and probably keeps costs down a bit. If the other characteristics of a Tikka appealed to me, I wouldn't sweat 1/2" of action length. We managed to survive with short rounds in Mausers and pre-64s for a good while before short actions became common. Non-issue for me in a hunting rifle, and occasionally the long action allows seating bullets out to some advantage with minor mods to mags and/or bolt stops. And there can be good reasons to go with short rounds even when the same rifle can be had in the "long versions". Different strokes.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Not looking to pick a fight here, but can someone explain to me the utility of having a Tikka in a short action. I mean the action length, weight, and usually barrel length is the same. If you’re going to get a .308, might as well make it a 30-06. If you’re going to get it rechambered to .358 Winchester, you might as well make it a .35 Whelen and so on and so forth.

It just doesn’t matter. The huge less than half inch difference in length means nothing. Does shooting 223 in a short action bother you?

You’re pole vaulting over mouse turds.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by moosemike

Exactly why I avoid Tikka. I like short action cartridges and I like them in short action rifles.

Good thing you don’t shoot 223’s in short actions.......

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Threads like this really show who likes to talk about rifles and maybe hunt a bit compared to those who hunt a lot.....

Some of the stupid stuff argued for or against in this thread means jack crap...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
T3 Lite SS in .270 with a 2-10x42 Monarch 5 in Warne rings shooting 150 NP’s would be perfect for an all-rounder. At least that’s what I thought, and how I put mine together. Can hunt almost all of NA with that combo without issue.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by drover

OP,

drover

Totally agree. Pick one and go hunting/shooting.

Personally, my recent Tikka 6.5CM was so easy- mount a solid scope (LRHS), whip up some reasonably sure loads, and be dialled in to 500M by the end of range session #1- I'd go that route. And likely will be going that route for my wife's new hunting rifle.

T3 6.5CM, SS 6x, solid rings... Like drover said, "plug and play"...

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by moosemike

Exactly why I avoid Tikka. I like short action cartridges and I like them in short action rifles.

Good thing you don’t shoot 223’s in short actions.......

To some guys 1/2" is a big difference. I personally could care less. Tikka builds extremely accurate rifles that work just fine. This short action vs long action chit is funny.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For an east coast bolt action (east of Mississippi) I would just go with a 308 Winchester. Then for longer range deer, shoot the 125gr Ballistic tip. Closer range 150gr Partitions. Exactly like I do East of the Mississippi. For large critter up close 180gr Partitions/Speer Hot core or whatever 180 is accurate. The real problem. One rifle is too boring to settle for just one.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
T3 270 Win I brought in this summer. Can't complain. All around rifle? Sure,why not?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Golficeman
I hunt from VA to FL and have a few rifles already in my stable, but I'm looking for that one that I'll carry 90% of the time. I used to use 3-4 different rifles during the season and want that one that I get to know like the back of my hand. I do reload. My thoughts of rifles and calibers. I'm sure this has been done a million times on here. Shots from 25-400yds depending on the state. I have good glass to put on the rifle that I finally decide on. My initial thoughts....

Rifles:
Bergara B14
Christensen Mesa
Tikka T-3X

Caliber choices:
6.5 Creedmoor
7mm mag
* A 280 if I could find one in the right rifle.

It's ashame the rifle business for manufacturers has gone where it's gone. Id love a 338 Federal in a Tikka or a 358 Winchester in a Ruger Hawkeye 77 for a lot of my hunting under 300yds.

All depends on where you hunt and what you hunt. For example, in Alaska where I live the most popular cartridges are the .30-06, .300WM, .338WM, 7mm Magnum, and .375H&H. There are all kinds of cartridges in between, but those calibers are the most popular.

For the type of hunting I do, the .338WM with a 225-grain TTSX is perfect, and so would be a .30-06 or .300WM with a 180-grainer, or even a .375 H&H with a 270 though 300 grainer. I chose the .338WM several years ago, simply because it falls in the middle, kicking on the hills of the outstanding .375H&H. The reasons why these calibers are popular in Alaska is because the animals we hunt tend to be very large, and some fight back. Yes, there is noting wrong with a .270 to hunt moose in bear country, but most hunters worry a little about bears. And yes, some hunters don't worry about bears, big butts, big kneecaps, and big foot, but "me chicken" does.

Your cartridge choices look great to me, and for some reason I can't explain I would pick the .270 first, and 7-08 second.

Last edited by Ray; 11/22/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not being contrite, but all my rifles are “all around”. If I’m taking it hunting, it will do the work. I do admire the guy who has hunted with one rifle for too many years to count. He’s the fella who can snap a quick shot in timber or lay behind the scope and crush big fur at distance...No big deal, every time. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
M
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Handle a bunch of rifles personally and pick the one that fits you best, including stuff like safety manipulation, magazine type, etc. Then decide on the cartridge from those available in that model. Honestly, I see no need for any of the magnums in the East, even if you include Kentucky elk. Other than that, pick a cartridge and use good bullets, and you should be fine. There's all kinds of debate here on cartridge virtues, but except for very specialized usage, they're all fine, especially if you reload and aren't dependent on Walmart for your ammo. Any of the standard rounds should give you good bore-life too, important I think in one's go-to rifle.

BTW, there are caliber restrictions on those Kentucky and Pennsylvania elk, if those are on your list of possibilities.

This ^^^^^^ pretty well sums it up. Pick the rifle that feels best to YOU. Any of the cartridges would work. I finally settled on .270 Win because (as noted above) that is the legal minimum if God ever blesses me with a KY Elk tag...

Rem 700 KS LH barreled action chambered .270 Win in a Rimrock stock with Leupold 2.5x8x40 scope.

Yes. The elusive KY elk tag. My father and friends have all applied so often. No one has gotten one. I personally am just going out West in 2 years.

I like your choice. Hard to beat a 270. Mine is a M70 EWSS 30.06. Love it. Considering getting a 7mm Mag. Have a M70 PF 300 WM that shots excellent but it’s in a heavy Boyd’s stock atm

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
[quote]The current popularity of 140-147 grain bullets in 6.5 Creedmoor makes for very little difference in recoil, when compared to 140 grain 7mm-08 and 150-155 grain 308 loads. As in, when I've shot similar rifles side by side the biggest difference I could detect between the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 308 was in noise level, not recoil.
/quote]

With those bullet weights the 6.5 CM has 12 ft lbs recoil in an 8 lb rifle. The 308 will have 15 and 7-08 about 14. Just for reference a 243 shooting 100 gr bullets is about 11. And with those bullet weights the 6.5 will significantly out penetrate 308 or 7-08 on game. You have to move up to 175-180 gr bullets in 7mm or 30 caliber to match the penetration you get with 140's in 6.5. And that means even more recoil. 180's in a 308 is getting close to 30-06 recoil with 150's.

That said I settled on 308 as my all around rifle some years ago. I consider the 7-08 a ballistic twin and would have no argument with someone who prefers it. But I've also played with the 6.5 CM enough to be satisfied that it'll kill anything the 308 or 7-08 will kill. And do it with less recoil, and probably better accuracy.

But at this point I ain't selling my 308's and replacing them with 6.5's. At normal hunting ranges the only real difference is recoil. But for someone just starting out I'd advise the 6.5.

Which rifle is a personal choice, but I like the Tikka a lot.

Last edited by JMR40; 11/22/18.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JMR40
[quote]The current popularity of 140-147 grain bullets in 6.5 Creedmoor makes for very little difference in recoil, when compared to 140 grain 7mm-08 and 150-155 grain 308 loads. As in, when I've shot similar rifles side by side the biggest difference I could detect between the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 308 was in noise level, not recoil.
/quote]

With those bullet weights the 6.5 CM has 12 ft lbs recoil in an 8 lb rifle. The 308 will have 15 and 7-08 about 14. Just for reference a 243 shooting 100 gr bullets is about 11. And with those bullet weights the 6.5 will significantly out penetrate 308 or 7-08 on game. You have to move up to 175-180 gr bullets in 7mm or 30 caliber to match the penetration you get with 140's in 6.5. And that means even more recoil. 180's in a 308 is getting close to 30-06 recoil with 150's.

That said I settled on 308 as my all around rifle some years ago. I consider the 7-08 a ballistic twin and would have no argument with someone who prefers it. But I've also played with the 6.5 CM enough to be satisfied that it'll kill anything the 308 or 7-08 will kill. And do it with less recoil, and probably better accuracy.

But at this point I ain't selling my 308's and replacing them with 6.5's. At normal hunting ranges the only real difference is recoil. But for someone just starting out I'd advise the 6.5.

With loads I use in my rifles, at real world chronographed velocities, with 147s over 4350 and 155s over Varget, the 6.5 and 308 recoil at something like 13.1 and 14.9, in 8 lb rifles, respectively. Not enough difference to matter, as both have some decent recoil and really aren't light recoiling guns.

Penetration is dependent on bullet construction, and either have enough penetration for the big game normally shot with these sorts of rifles. SD as a metric for bullet performance is a tired trope.

I hear ya on sticking with the 308. That's my preference, also.

For someone starting out, I'd recommend something that kicks significantly less than either of the three. But that's getting pretty far off topic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
Threads like this really show who likes to talk about rifles and maybe hunt a bit compared to those who hunt a lot.....

Some of the stupid stuff argued for or against in this thread means jack crap...

Probably less than jack crap....

Boots, glass, and sound clothing ("system"if you must)

Then there's the wind....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
[quote=JMR40]
The current popularity of 140-147 grain bullets in 6.5 Creedmoor makes for very little difference in recoil, when compared to 140 grain 7mm-08 and 150-155 grain 308 loads. As in, when I've shot similar rifles side by side the biggest difference I could detect between the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 308 was in noise level, not recoil.
/quote]

With loads I use in my rifles, at real world chronographed velocities, with 147s over 4350 and 155s over Varget, the 6.5 and 308 recoil at something like 13.1 and 14.9, in 8 lb rifles, respectively. Not enough difference to matter, as both have some decent recoil and really aren't light recoiling guns.

Penetration is dependent on bullet construction, and either have enough penetration for the big game normally shot with these sorts of rifles. SD as a metric for bullet performance is a tired trope.

I hear ya on sticking with the 308. That's my preference, also.

For someone starting out, I'd recommend something that kicks significantly less than either of the three. But that's getting pretty far off topic.

Like the two of you I'm pretty happy with the 308 Win. But unlike you two I'm planning on getting in on the Creedmoor scene too.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Golficeman
After reading all the opinions, I think I'm going to buy two Tikka T3X rifles instead of the Mesa. One in 6.5 Creedmoor and one in 7mm-08. Put the same optics on both and hunt with the one I feel shoots best. I have a 308 in a Tikka T3X already, was going to have it rebored to 358 Win. I Like reading all the opinions, thanks for the feedback.

The difference in cartridges isn't Jack! If you already have a T3 and it doesn't stand out as something you want to carry everyday than a different cartridge that's more of the same is gonna change things

Sounds to me like you seriously need a Barrett Fieldcraft 😁 Get it in the caliber you have the most components for. If you've never handled one stop at a Cabelas and take a look and feel. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. In fact it seems a good many campfire members have been pleasantly surprised with the fieldcraft. I've not had the opportunity to shoot one yet but the one I held in my hands was one of the most tempting rifles to buy I've handled

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 11/22/18.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 12savage, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,681
Posts18,474,998
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.