-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Four of us hunted 4th season in Colorado. Hunted national forest land. Day before season I spotted a herd of over 200 elk near camp. Seems the big herds were down around 8000 to 10000 feet. Was a combination of some snow storms up high and a dry summer leading to no grass up high. It reminded me of where the elk herds are in December. They were very talkative also, easy to locate.
First 2 days any elk seen were out of range. On the 3rd day I set up 2 guys on a ridge saddle. Told them the elk were moving and feeding at 11 am to 2 pm. At 11 am a herd of over 100 came by them. There were many legal bulls. They each took a 5x5. They headed home the next morning and so did the fourth member of the hunt party. On the 4th day I headed up the mountain. My plan was to sit on that same saddle. But on the way up I was seeing elk. 2 cows, then a cow and a calf. So I got off the atv and decided to hang there for awhile. Then I heard a small herd calling to each other. Headed up the ridge and then spotted them coming down about 1000 yards ahead of me. I moved closer as they couldn't see me over the bend of the ridge. Finally got as close as possible, lead cow looked as if she spotted me. Saw a 4x4 and then a 5x5. Settled on the 5x5 at 325 yards, aimed high shoulder. The shot took the legs out from under him and he tumbled down the slope through the sage brush and landed on the road. As I got to 100 yards I could see his head up, so put a final round in his neck. I was using a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag, Federal Premium 160 gr NP .
On the way home that morning the other guys hit an ice storm outside Colorado Springs. One truck slid off the road, trailer jack knifed and one atv broke its straps , flew over a fence and landed 40 yards from the truck. The coolers and meat also flew out of the bed. One small rocker dent. a bent tongue and hitch, messed up atv, but the guys were fine and on their way the next day. The 4th guy hit the storm in Salina Kansas. Drove 1 hour on ice and then pulled over at hotel for the night.
The trip had a little of everything. Many elk. snow, below zero weather, wrecks, hauling 2 elk out in the dark uphill with the pack rack . One of my most memorable hunts. No body got hurt, we harvested 3 nice animals and enjoyed the scenery and the hunt. Here's a video of some pics from the hunt ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzwMUzXjVaU&feature=youtu.be

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Exciting trip!

Lucky break that that bull quit sliding at the road and didn’t keep going down the other side....that’s gotta be as good as it gets with elk packing.

Last edited by Lawdwaz; 11/23/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations to all involved, and I'm glad everyone is OK!

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 38 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,930
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.