Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thinking about upgrading and getting a real rest for load development and sighting in guns on the bench. Not looking to spend a fortune as I don’t see BR competition in my future, but want something of decent quality. I’ve been looking at Sinclair Benchrest. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Buy once, cry once.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've used a Hart pedestal rest for thirty years or more. Good quality, heavy, won't move around on the bench, and you won't outgrow it or wish for a better rest. Far better than a lead sled or a Bull-Bag type rest. I use a Protektor leather sand bag on the Hart rest with a Protektor bunny ear rear leather bag. I assume all this stuff is still made. I bought the Hart rest from Sinclair.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here's a clue:

[Linked Image]Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Even birds know not to land downwind!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The Caldwell Rock BR is not bad at all for $109 shipped from Amazon. Of course it's made in other than the US, but it still ain't bad. The coaxial is of course more money, but it's just faster, not better. Also, a good rabbit ear bag for the rear definitely compliments a front rest.

FWIW, I've used stacked boards, carpet rolls, wadded up jackets, shot bags full of sand, etc etc etc etc. But my testing/shooting got better when I took the time fore a good setup with suitable equipment. I even had a Farley coaxial at one time, but I don't compete & when it became worth more than the gun that was riding on it, I let it go.

If money wasn't a concern, & I felt the need for the best, I'd have another Farley or a SEB.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Yeah..I’m trying to upgrade a bit from the wadded up jackets, carpet, etc. The Hart and Sinclair are in my budget and might be my ideal choice. Thanks for the suggestions

Buy once, cry once.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Here you go - Caldwell Rock BR Competition Rest - $84.99 and a free shipping code.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/348661/caldwell-rock-br-competition-rifle-front-shooting-rest

I have used one of these for over 10 years while not quite the quality of the $500 rests I have managed to win some matches using them.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
When you want to upgrade you can install one of my coaxial tops on it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two words.
Lead Sled.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drover
Here you go - Caldwell Rock BR Competition Rest - $84.99 and a free shipping code.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/348661/caldwell-rock-br-competition-rifle-front-shooting-rest

I have used one of these for over 10 years while not quite the quality of the $500 rests I have managed to win some matches using them.

drover

Ditto.

I've been using this same rest for several years now and have been very satisfied with it. It's heavy and stays in place. The windage adjustable portion has been of limited use to me but the elevation adjustment is used all the time as various rifles are switched out and their stock shape makes them point higher or lower than the previous one. That forend locator is also very useful to get the rifle repositioned to the same place for each shot. As drover notes it's not top of the line quality but it gets the job done quite well without breaking the bank.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Butch,

Love the rifle the rifle. Is it a wrap or paint job on it?

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Two words.
Lead Sled.
7mm

That would be the last piece of crap I would subject my rifle to.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by lotech
I've used a Hart pedestal rest for thirty years or more. Good quality, heavy, won't move around on the bench, and you won't outgrow it or wish for a better rest. Far better than a lead sled or a Bull-Bag type rest. I use a Protektor leather sand bag on the Hart rest with a Protektor bunny ear rear leather bag. I assume all this stuff is still made. I bought the Hart rest from Sinclair.

Same set up for me......except I bought mine from Hart in Pennsylvania

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

drover

That is a helluva deal, if I didn't already have one I would jump right on that. Protector bags for it make it a darn good rest, should work very well for your needs.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Hart rest all the way. Although I do have a SEB NEO with joystick for my BR rifles, I use the Hart with three interchangeable tops for my other rifles. Kind of like my 31 year old RCBS Rockchucker reloading press, it will not need upgrading.

NRA Life VHA Life
US Army Security Agency (72-77)
US Army INSCOM (77-79)
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Weight is your friend. First, the best rest and bags in the world isn’t worth much of the bench itself is wobbly. Make a sturdy bench and use a separate stool. The front rest has to be stable, there are many that will do OK, the bag in the rest needs enough adjustment to fit the forearm of the stock. You don’t want to squeeze the stock, just stabilize the gun. You need a rear bag, the height of the ears are personal choice, but the stock needs to sit in it well. If you can’t position to gun where the sling studs are clear of the front and rear bag, remove them. If you are shooting a hunting gun, the gun should recoil life ke it does it in the field, against your shoulder. If you are doing load development, then determine how to hold the gun that you can do the same each time. Consistantcy.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jnyork

drover

That is a helluva deal, if I didn't already have one I would jump right on that. Protector bags for it make it a darn good rest, should work very well for your needs.

No free shipping on this deal. Free shipping only applies to regular price items.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found the Caldwell Rock BR too high for my needs, it wouldn't adjust low enough for most bench work. I got the Caldwell Rock Deluxe and it works much better for hunting rifles.

Also remember if your bench is steel or concrete, you'll need the Caldwell rubber feet too....about $10 at Midway.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Grizzly sells a pretty god copy of the old bald Eagle rest and if you want to get serious a Shadetree co-axial rest top will be a good addition.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by lotech

The Hart is a solid rest for what you are looking for. I have been very happy with mine. My friends are constantly borrowing mine so I guess they like it too.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Amazon has the Cadwell for the same price, with free shipping.

Cat, the other white meat!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (12344mag, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 21 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.