Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
A
I been looking at some black Friday ads for a cheap electric smoker. I've never smoked anything before and believe this would be a good start. Has anyone had experience with one of these electric smokers? What model do you have?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have never had a smokerthat wasn't electric. My current smokeris a Cajun Injector double door. My only issue with it is that in the warm month(s) here in Minnesota the only time the heater gets hot enough to make it smoke well is initial start up. I have to open both doors and leave them open long enough to cool it down a lot befor I get good heat to get a new batch of chips smoking. I use a cardboard box on top when I want to have a cold smoke, there is no other way to accomplish that with this unit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
See the electric/propane smoker thread, about 3 below this.

grin

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's about six below now.....hurry before you have to go to the trouble of clicking page two.

A
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
A
I saw that thread, really looking for product testimonials for the electric smokers in the cheaper range.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Limit smoke time to maybe 1/4 of cook time.
You get different flavors from electric or burning wood.
Electric smolders wood, with no oxygen, actually making charcoal.
If you get too much smoke, it will taste funny.

I could cook but to for 8 hours over wood. The smoke was strong, but it tasted right.
Electric smoke can tasted like wood some does if you don't supply enough air.
It gets a sooty, acrid taste. It actually gives the impression of hot peppers, but in a weird way.

For ease and simplicity, electric is tops.

Results can be quite good, but never the best.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have an early model, about 20 years old. Basic round model. No bells and whistles.You put a tray of soaked wood chips on the burner on the bottom. Add water pan to the rack above it, unless you want drier meat.There are two round racks for the meat. Put the cap on and plug it in.I have done turkey,chicken, venison, salmon. sausage. I did our turkey yesterday.

I added two digital thermometers ( About $14 each at Walmart) that have a 3 foot lead on them. I drilled a hole in the side of the smoker about 3/16" to get the probes in. One hangs free to keep track of the internal temperature and one goes in the meat.
Not as fancy as the $300-$400 Masterbuilts,but does the job for the 5-6 times a year I use it.

I looked at the Masterbuilts this past year. A lot of bad reviews. Electric controls go bad, see thru door in front gets gummed up,so you can't see in. Several other problems.
I have not encountered any bad/funny tastes from mine when comparing to friends other smokers of higher prices

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Since you are loo,I g for low price entry level, fake a look at Little Chief smokers.
You can do a lot with it.

C&P link to browser.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lit...&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Cookshack here. Works like magic.

Not cheap

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

I could cook but to for 8 hours over wood. The smoke was strong, but it tasted right.
It gets a sooty, acrid taste. It actually gives the impression of hot peppers, but in a weird way.

Very good advice. I made smoked polish sausage lat year in my electric smoker. I kept adding wood chips through the entire cook. That batch of sausage was inedible. Tasted like an ash tray. The other concern is temperature validity. Mine runs about 30’ less than what I program it for. Consequently, it took way more time to cook than it should. After learning the hard way, I used much less smoke and bumped up the temperature and things turned out great this year. Mine is the 40” masterbuilt.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Very good advice. I made smoked polish sausage lat year in my electric smoker. I kept adding wood chips through the entire cook. That batch of sausage was inedible. Tasted like an ash tray. The other concern is temperature validity. Mine runs about 30’ less than what I program it for. Consequently, it took way more time to cook than it should. After learning the hard way, I used much less smoke and bumped up the temperature and things turned out great this year. Mine is the 40” masterbuilt.

Probably been better if I had proof read that mess. crazy

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a box over the Little chief to keep its temperature up in colder weather.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Like Saddlesore said

The older Masterbuilts were good, the new ones - not so much (I have one I got as they were changing things around, it’s “ok”)

Smoking anything when it’s cold is a bugger because the heat requirement doesn’t change, but many of the units can’t keep up... I don’t use my master built in anything under 50 degrees....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1_deuce, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 219DW, 53 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,135
Posts18,483,942
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.