-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Have been watching to see when this will be released, best info I have shows its USA release on Dec. 17th. Some longer snippets are also appearing on youtube. This really is something I have to see.

Supposedly the entire documentary is available to watch here. It requires you to "register for free". I went partway through the process and it requires a credit card to register even though it keeps saying your card won't be charged to validate the account, but you will be charged to watch the actual movies on a pay per view basis so I didn't complete the registration. Will just wait until Dec. 17th.

http://watchfilmfull.com/play.php?movie=tt7905466tt

Last edited by Jim in Idaho; 11/23/18. Reason: Updated the full doc info

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Poor guys had some REALLY bad teeth. No dentists on the Front, for sure.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if this was WWII I would say, methamphetamine on the teeth....

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Guys, they just had really bad teeth. It was typical.

While on the subject, until the adoption of the Snider breechloading system only dental requrement in the British Army was two teeth. One top, one bottom. Relatively close. For tearing open a paper cartridge when loading.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the heads up...
I just watched it, very interesting and a whole lot of good footage.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think the English have ever been noted for having good teeth.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for posting that..... Gonna see it in its entirety one of these days. That one about the end of the war was very interesting. My paternal grandfather was with the Canadian Machine Gun Corps in France from the summer of 1917 right up until the end. I was at his grave at 11 a.m. Nov. 11th to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of that war. Thinking about where he was on 11/11/1918 at 11a.m.. All I know for sure is his unit and they were in France. He never talked very much about any of it and never in front of his grandchildren.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Most interesting part to me is how happy they seem. I saw an interview with the director where he was talking about old interviews, journals, etc. and several of the soldiers said it was the time of their lives, comparing it to a boy scout campout with a little danger mixed in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just watched a documentary on the British SAS in North Africa, pretty incredible stuff..I think I need to find a good book on those chaps.
I don't remember, was this who the old series "Rat Patrol" was based on?

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Most interesting part to me is how happy they seem. I saw an interview with the director where he was talking about old interviews, journals, etc. and several of the soldiers said it was the time of their lives, comparing it to a boy scout campout with a little danger mixed in.

Yeah amazing how many smiled while hungry dirty fighting in a war .

Jim in Idaho
Thanks for posting this .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the old men do the fighting, and the young men are the cause.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

"All's quiet on the western front." sure gives a completely different perspective.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I think a lot of (most of) those clips here were filmed fairly well behind the lines where the troops were resting but it is amazing to see the resilience of the human spirit.

The thing that strikes me in the first clip and backed up by the narration is how comfortable they were with "the enemy". You know that just a short time before these clips were all filmed - days, hours? - they were shooting at each other, but then there they were swapping hats and kidding the Germans. I'm sure there were things not filmed that went on that weren't so friendly, but as the narration says they considered the Germans like them, just guys in uniform who had to do their duty but once you met the man under the helmet they were decent chaps.

Never been shot at or had to shoot at anyone but that reminded me of an incident in West Berlin. We had a changing of the guard ceremony at Spandau Prison where they kept Albert Speer. We Americans took over from the Soviets, there was a whole formal deal with two platoons lined up facing each other in the courtyard.

But after the ceremony we were smoking and joking outside the walls waiting for our trucks to take us back to the barracks. Maybe 50-75 yards away the Russian platoon was doing the same thing. We looked at them, they looked at us, since this was 1973 we were supposed to be mortal Cold War enemies but you could see on their faces that there was no enmity, they were as curious about us as we were about them. Just two groups of 18-20 year old kids who really wanted to go meet the other guys, swap a smoke and try to talk to them. That was strictly verboten on both sides but it's an incident of my service there that really stuck in my mind.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I just watched a documentary on the British SAS in North Africa, pretty incredible stuff..I think I need to find a good book on those chaps.
I don't remember, was this who the old series "Rat Patrol" was based on?

[Linked Image]

Long Range Desert Group

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Reminds me of the WW1 trench Christmas story. I have heard several versions. Or stories of the civil war.

M
M
Barkoff a good book to start with is the Phantom Major about David Stirling who created the SAS .

Mark

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1Longbow, 1minute, 222ND, 1936M71, 163bc, 160user, 64 invisible), 11,401 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,264
Posts18,544,836
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.