Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Oops sorry Yukon I was typing as you posted. Funny how we draw the same conclusion about Phil. Coincidence? Probably not

No it wasn't a coincidence.You obviously have a lot of experience yourself. Isn't it crazy how these guys get so worked up over bears! I had a bowhunter this year that I've guided many times in the past shoot a young grizzly at 6-yards. We watched the bear coming for 100 yards or so, and the closer the bear got, the more nervous the hunter became. He ended up doing just fine and killed the bear, but he has hunted with us for the last two decades. Can only imagine how that situation would turn out if some of these guys had been sitting on that kill without a guide...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Tripped deer hunting when I was 20 and had an accidental discharge. I was by myself, no one injured. AND TO THIS DAY I NEVER CARRY A RIFLE WITH A HOT CHAMBER. I'f you can't chamber a round and get the job done with 5 down in a Mauser 98, you probably shouldn't be out there. That's how I see it anyway, and for what it's worth, I'd be pretty useless with a semi automatic pistol, but fairly handy with a revolver. I had a Ruger Blackhawk for some time that I shot quite a bit, I haven't fire a semi 50 times in my life.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I guess it's a little late to point out this was an ARCHERY HUNT? The subject is safe game retrieval in grizzly country.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I guess it's a little late to point out this was an ARCHERY HUNT? The subject is safe game retrieval in grizzly country.

True. If a guide takes responsibility for the clients safety and won't allow the client to carry hot he damn well better keep his firearm at hand and hot. Retrieving game where griz live is an event calling for elevated preparedness and the belief that Murphy is an optimist.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Can a hunter even pack a loaded pistol in Canada?

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really am starting to understand why DeFlave holds Texans as a group in the regard that he does.

Last edited by T_Inman; 11/25/18. Reason: a few different reasons

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Never thought of that.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

Good thing you started a new thread to avoid a shiitestorm.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y

No you can't, guides can if they have a permit though.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I don't consider myself an expert on fending off a Grizzly attack. But it seems to me if one is serious about the matter, a good 18" barreled 12 gauge pumpgun loaded with 00 would be as good as any and better than most,....and I would probably keep it hot.

Everybody knows that Griz are big and strong,..but I don't believe a lot of people realize that they're also fast,....*damn* fast,...40 mph sprints.

20 yards,...40 mph,....do the math.

20 yards per second.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I don't consider myself an expert on fending off a Grizzly attack. But it seems to me if one is serious about the matter, a good 18" barreled 12 gauge pumpgun loaded with 00 would be as good as any and better than most,....and I would probably keep it hot.

Everybody knows that Griz are big and strong,..but I don't believe a lot of people realize that they're also fast,....*damn* fast,...40 mph sprints.

20 yards per second.

Imagine three people in line and someone has the 12 with 00... and something happens and they all scatter. Do you want someone with that 00 cutting loose?

Slugs mo' betta, rifles betta yet.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

20 yards per second.

Imagine three people in line and someone has the 12 with 00... and something happens and they all scatter. Do you want someone with that 00 cutting loose?

I was thinking of the scenario which was mentioned earlier in the thread,...where one man is deboning a kill in Griz country and one man was keeping a watch out.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Never thought of that.

Canadian bears are so muck kinder and nicer than their southern counterparts, must of them just mutter a drawn out eeeh, and are on their way!

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
And all of this, because the unarmed man was standing watch, WTF !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

20 yards per second.

I was thinking of the scenario which was mentioned earlier in the thread,...where one man is deboning a kill in Griz country and one man was keeping a watch out.

Slugs, still. Those .33 caliber pellets do not dig real deep.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guide and hunter carrying cold, until 1:50-ish.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
C
C
This place is great. People take things so personally. Telling Phil Shoemaker how it is in the tundra when they have the ac on in their truck all year. Good stuff.
It is not a personal attack on your abilities when guides say not to carry hot, we would never do it when we were hunting together. I taught my sons not to and they are a touch bit important to me.
Sport fishing for salmon and trout is always with bears nearby. An average fishing day guiding on Moraine, American, Swishak, Chigniks or Big river is mentally exhausting. When you are bear hunting you are searching for them, sport fishing you are wishing they would leave you alone. The story about Phil and the 9mm is a sport fishing on the peninsula story as I understand it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good video. Smell us now, lady!! LOL.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by jimy
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Never thought of that.

Canadian bears are so muck kinder and nicer than their southern counterparts, must of them just mutter a drawn out eeeh, and are on their way!

laugh laugh laugh laugh

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Does anyone know what conversation occurred between the guide and client in the event of a bear encounter? They were on a bow hunt so the options were limited to spray and the 10mm Glock. It wouldn't take long for the guide to explain to the client how the Glock worked as he was apparently carrying it "cold". Or better yet, while field dressing, the guide could have chambered a round and posted the hunter. The guide and I did something very similar this past Sept. on the tundra after I killed my bull. The 50 S&W and 6.5 CM were feet away as we worked on the bull and kept a sharp eye out.
Safety is paramount but so is preparation. A lot of uncalled for "snark" on this topic.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,709
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.