Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really like my Stiletto 14 its what I use for framing, easy on the elbows and hands when driving nails or banging stuff around, but for formwork I like a straight claw 20oz estwing, indestructible.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Vaughn 20 oz waffle face. Wood handle.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
673, you elitest bastid.....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Made my living for a few years with a Vaughn rigging axe- sure swung nice. I gave it up when Hitachi finally made a good nail gun. I still have Harts, a Stilletto and a couple of California Framers. Never met a real framer who used a blue handled Estwing- good way to ruin your elbow.

I used to file my hammer face every weekend to keep it sharp. I don't bother anymore. I do have an Estwing for doing demo work though!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For rough/framing, i like my Estwing 22oz straight-claw. I grab it first for most things though my ancient, red fiberglass-handled 16oz Plumb with straight claw is always close to my carpentry tools.

Like many, i was able to earn enough using them to keep food in the fridge during those rough in-between times

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Most of the guys used Plumb Rigging Axes back then. Later on we graduated to Hart's when they came out.

Still got 'em. 2 Plumb and 3 Vaughan. The Vaughans are better balanced for driving

Meh.......Ford Chevy......I preferred the Plumb but I think the Vaughn's steel was a little harder because the corrugation seemed to last longer.

The guy that came to the job and sharpened saw blades would also cut new corrugation on your hammers.

Try and find someone to do that today. HA

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This is s great video showing the virtue of the Vaughans..

Its worth watching..The forging and heat treating steps are instructive. Apparently they use a water hardening alloy that they differentially harden and temper in a brine solution..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I framed, I was the only one on the crew who carried two hammers. One framer, and one smooth head trim hammer. Both straight clawed. I did a lot of punch out work and needed both. Saved my life once, when the cut man was sawing cut pieces for the roof, but cutting the wrong direction. Threw sawdust where the ladder hit the roof, and both feet were hanging in space with both claws buried in the surface before my mind caught up with my actions. (I was three floors up and just hooking on to the safety tether.)
I like fiberglass handles, but the grips come loose. Wood sometimes loosens up, and steel handles get damn cold. I've reinstalled a lot of grips on fiberglass handles with spray adhesive.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vaughan 20 oz. fiberglass.
My favorite finish hammer is a 40 year old 16 oz., wood handled Craftsman, made by Vaughan.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I don't like the Estwing, that metal handle sends too much vibration to the hand.

My favorite hammer, I don't like the name but it is a California Framing Hammer, a 28 ounce hammer with a wooden handle. That is one beautiful tool.

The CA framer was the predecessor to Hart. Great hammers.

I still have a 16oz Hart finish hammer that's my pride and joy......I use it for everything.....even finish work once in a while.

Here's a pic of it with an old Western "Carpenter" knife and my old nail bags which were state of the art back then. HA

[Linked Image]

Last edited by FieldGrade; 11/26/18.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Estwing framer instigated "framer's elbow" in me - years ago.
I went to a wood handled 20 oz vaughan, healed up, and that hammer has had the "waffles" re-cut 3 times. I quit building 24 years ago, but that hammer stays.

Another vote for a wood-handled Vaughn claw. Anything else tore up my elbow and messed up my golf game.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Volunteered enough times that Habitat for Humanity asked me to be a supervisor. My fav is a 22 oz-er. Not only for nailing nails but knocking out misplaced studs the volunteers erroneously placed.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
20oz flat faced Craftsman framer. Wood handle. Probably 22 years old. (How the hell?)
Or, a 2# Craftsman drilling hammer.

One for nails, the other most other jobs.

Some ball peens floating around, nothing special.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not doing construction, I always thought Jim Beam rye made a pretty good hammer.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SamOlson
What's your favorite hammer?

20 lb. sledge hammer, getting harder to swing as each year goes by though.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Busted the handle on my Vaughn framing hammer about a year ago. Been limping along with the various Harbor Freight type POS I have around. One day I’ll get around to re-hafting the old hammer.

Have a few ball peens I use quite a bit.

Scored the ball peens and about 10 pounds of various files at a yard sale.

They are never the same after replacing the handle. I just toss it and buy a new one.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use ball peen hammers when planishing by hand. I have a couple of planishing posts, and a chainmail spinner.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never bought a hammer. I have 4, and found every one of them lying in the road. Finders keepers, as if I hadn't picked them up, someone else surely would have. When I was a rural mail carrier, and driving a 100 mile route, I found all kind of stuff. Haven't had to buy tie-down straps either, as I've got enough of those to strap a dozen tarps down.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I've never bought a hammer. I have 4, and found every one of them lying in the road. Finders keepers, as if I hadn't picked them up, someone else surely would have. When I was a rural mail carrier, and driving a 100 mile route, I found all kind of stuff. Haven't had to buy tie-down straps either, as I've got enough of those to strap a dozen tarps down.

Oh, like the 4' step ladder on my truck right now.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One of my old wore-out Estwing framing hammers gets used on the trapline.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 3,126 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,355
Posts18,488,000
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.