Print Thread
Hop To
P
PaulNZ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Hi all, I was sent over this way from my usual haunt at rimfirecentral in the hope that you guys could give me some help with a Zeiss scope issue. My problem is this:

A few days ago I purchased a Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6x scope off a NZ auction site, unused but without any sales literature and of unknown age. The reason I picked it up was that it came with the particular rail mount system that my father's custom mauser uses, a feature that I'd never seen on any scope but the original on the rifle. As that scope is getting tired (coatings are just about shot), we thought this would make a good replacement.

Anyway, scope turned up, perfect condition and excellent optically. Where we ran into a snag (not mentioned in the sellers description of the item) is that the scope only has one turret, and that under the cap is a collection of four screws rather than a dial.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Does anyone know how this scope can be adjusted for elevation and windage, or whether it's possible at all? Is this scope designed only for adjustable mounts (which we don't have), or will turning the screws allow it to be sighted in? The stags are just starting to roar around here, it'd be nice to get the scope mounted and put to use.

Thanks.

GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
From what I've found for info on that scope it seems the only adjustment the scope has is elevation. Windage is adjusted at the base.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Welcome to the campfire.
That elevation dial must turn for adjustments. And, and windage adjustments must be made with the mount. I've never used one of these scopes, but given it's a Zeiss, the glass should be good.
I wouldn't fool with those screws on top of the elevation dial.
I'd be looking for a way to move the rail mount to adjust for windage so you can get on target with one load and leave it there.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I acquired a Hensoldt scope some time back with the same screw arrangement on the dials. Since Hensoldt was marketed by Zeiss, I contacted Zeiss for info. Per their email, the off-colored screw, is a locking screw, loosen it and turn dial to achieve desired adjustment. Since yours only has one turret, as stated by others, windage will have to be adjusted at the base or mount.
I hope this is of some value to you.

NRA Patron Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Firearms Acquisitioner and Accumulator
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by tp4whlr
I acquired a Hensoldt scope some time back with the same screw arrangement on the dials. Since Hensoldt was marketed by Zeiss, I contacted Zeiss for info. Per their email, the off-colored screw, is a locking screw, loosen it and turn dial to achieve desired adjustment.

That's good info. I wasn't aware of the locking screw feature.
Thanks,

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B2

P
PaulNZ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thanks to everyone who replied, now I know where I stand. I have to either try and get a refund from the seller, or get a set of windage adjustable rail mounts (don't like my chances on that though).

I suspected that one of the screws may have been a locking screw, it would explain why the dial wouldn't turn. I wasn't going to try fiddling with the screws without knowing though, I would have hated to inadvertently detach the reticle or something similarly catastrophic.

Thanks again.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,737
Posts18,514,408
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.