Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
fellas2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I'm currently sitting on six or seven pairs on what i call, budget friendly binoculars. I've used them all in the field and for one reason or another, not impressed with any of them. Manufacturers run from Nikon, Redfield, Alpen, Vortex, Minox, and Brunton. Price ranges have been anywhere from $100-$250, some new and some used. I'm thinking it's time for me top unload all of them and put the funds to the purchase of one pair in will be pleased with and keep for a while. My situation requires a minimum of 12x, even thought these old eyes might prefer 15x, and would really like to have an objective of no less than 50mm due to a combination of use out of a ground blind and the majority of deer movement being early and late in low light conditions. I'm figuring if i can sell off all of them, might put me in the $700-$900 budget range. Suggestions always appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1st things 1st. If you are looking at 12x or 15x binoculars then also figure tripod mounting them. If not then you will be very unhappy.

You can get,
Steiner HX 15x56
or the Meopta MeoStar B1 12x50 HD Binoculars in top quality optics. It would be my pleasure to discuss options with you if you have a few minutes to give a call.
Doug

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
F
fellas2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Absolutely don't won't to go the tripod mount way, so i might just stick with the 12 x. If i get a chance, i'll give you a ring later today. Interested in any trades, lol ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you do not want to tripod mount then I suggest you do not go over 10x.
I'm in till 6 today. We can discuss trades, of course

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Go 6x or 8x and be done with it. Clarity and brightness will beat X’s, but that’s just my opinion.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 11/28/18.
IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
In my opinion, budget glass is never a bargain. For all the money spent on multiple budget friendly optics, good glass that lasts for years can be had. I’m guilty of that as well, but no more. 10x binoculars are shaky enough and 8x is about right for field use. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Go buy a pair of Leica or Swaros and quit piddling around. Pay the money and enjoy the glass.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you are patient, and willing to dig around, you can find good deals on great glass. Last year I managed to pick up a late model, pre-swarovision version of the 8.5x42mm EL's for only $900. Probably one of the best purchases of my hunting career to date.

Sell the binos you have and start watching the classifieds or even post a WTB ad outlining what you want and what your budget is. You might be surprised at some of the offers you get.

Doug is great to deal with and I am sure he can put you into an upgrade over what you have for a reasonable price.

Also, check out a 10x42 model from Tract. It's in the budget you mention and the folks here that have them are all generally very pleased.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The thing is that really good glass shows more at lower magnification than lesser glass at higher magnification. Also, if you can't hold it steady the extra magnified details cannot be seen. So, 8x max for handheld, 10x if you have rock solid hands.

Rock solid means you can drill the x out of the target with a pistol holding it with one hand.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by fellas2
I'm currently sitting on six or seven pairs on what i call, budget friendly binoculars. I've used them all in the field and for one reason or another, not impressed with any of them. Manufacturers run from Nikon, Redfield, Alpen, Vortex, Minox, and Brunton. Price ranges have been anywhere from $100-$250, some new and some used. I'm thinking it's time for me top unload all of them and put the funds to the purchase of one pair in will be pleased with and keep for a while. My situation requires a minimum of 12x, even thought these old eyes might prefer 15x, and would really like to have an objective of no less than 50mm due to a combination of use out of a ground blind and the majority of deer movement being early and late in low light conditions. I'm figuring if i can sell off all of them, might put me in the $700-$900 budget range. Suggestions always appreciated.

How do you use binos ?
Are you searching distant wooded hillsides for deer longrange hunting style glassing ? I ask because of the 12x 15x comment as HH4whiskey said ;

Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Go 6x or 8x and be done with it. Clarity and brightness will beat X’s, but that’s just my opinion.

means very little . You can see WAY BETTER with alpha glass 8x than you can with budget 12x 15x glass . Myself nothing over 8x without a tripod , 8x with a tripod makes glassing much more enjoyable .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike
You can see WAY BETTER with alpha glass 8x than you can with budget 12x 15x glass . Myself nothing over 8x without a tripod , 8x with a tripod makes glassing much more enjoyable .

Well put

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

F
fellas2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Most of my use is in a ground blind or tree stand overlooking fields. Shots can be anywhere from 25 yards to 600 yards if i so desire ( never attempted one that far, but have shot a couple over 300 )
Deer movement is highest early am while travelling from food source to bedding areas and in the evening back to food source. They also some daytime travel using field corners as shortcuts.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
How about a suggestion for a tripod that is light enough to carry, sturdy enough to hold optics steady and won't break the bank?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crisp quality glass in 8X gives the best view in my opinion.
I have 15X swarovski, and they live on a tripod, when they are not in the safe, but they never get out due to size.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
CZECH10022, in answer to your question, the best value tripod for glassing that is small and well built would be the Manfrotto Befree Live US, MVKBFRT-Liveus. It has a fluid pan head and comes with a case. Normally $239.99, we discount it for forum members to $209.99, HOWEVER through this Sunday we will do it for $191.99
Here is a link to see it. You would need to call to get this price

https://cameralandny.com/products.html?catalog%5Bsearch%5D%5Btext%5D=befree&catalog%5Bsort%5D%5Bon%5D=relevance&x=0&y=0

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ol_mike

How do you use binos ?
Are you searching distant wooded hillsides for deer longrange hunting style glassing ? I ask because of the 12x 15x comment as HH4whiskey said ;

Originally Posted by hh4whiskey

means very little . You can see WAY BETTER with alpha glass 8x than you can with budget 12x 15x glass . Myself nothing over 8x without a tripod , 8x with a tripod makes glassing much more enjoyable .

^^^^This......You simply cannot beat clarity and brightness.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Simple enough, work out what size you want then go check out the appropriate glass from Zeiss, Swarovski, and Leica...once you have made up your mind as to what you want start saving your pennies 'til you have exactly what you want.

Some things really are worth saving for.

added; took me two years to get my Zeiss...and another three to get them back from my daughter!

Last edited by JSTUART; 11/28/18.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy once, cry once....I'd only be looking at the Big 3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by atse
Go buy a pair of Leica or Swaros and quit piddling around. Pay the money and enjoy the glass.

This^^

20 years ago I bought a pair of 10x42 Swarovski slc’s, I’m still using them today and likely will be 20 years from now. I spent $830 for them then and have watched buddies go through numerous pairs of budget binos in the same time while spending more for all the “upgrades” than I have in my swaros. They’ve got a bunch of mediocre binos in a closet & I’ve got one pair that I use all the time.

Buy once cry once.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The budget binocular I bought a while back is a Meopta Meostar. It gives me all or nearly all of what the Zeiss, Leica and Swarovskis of the same time period gave, and on a substantially smaller budget.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (257 mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 22 invisible), 1,754 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,389
Posts18,469,819
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.