Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
CT, I'd be curious to see you try something with that skull. I just did 3 skulls, have 2 more rotting but not sure 3 tank heaters can keep up with overnight low here of 9. Anyway, on the 3 I just did, I sat them in Dawn and hot water for 2 days. Rinsed well, coated in 40% peroxide paste and sat them in the sun for 8 hours. They are totally pure white. Now they could seep grease out I guess at a later date, but the ones last year have not yet.

If you try that and it doesn't work, could you then just go back to soaking it in Dawn? I get impatient and it seems like the sunshine peroxide combo is working really well. If you try it, let me know how it goes.

Gotta go out to barn and see if I can rig something over the 15 gallon tank to keep the heat in without burning down the barn.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've gone the quick route and grease spots showed up each time. I'm peculiar in that I want no grease floating after a two week soak. I soak until that happens. But if you're happy with it, by all means, rock on.

Regarding re-soaking in dawn after peroxide, later on down the road, absolutely you can. Peroxide does nothing to trap the grease in. I soaked old euros that had been simmered, back before I knew better, and it was pretty darn effective.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by 30338
I practiced on a small antelope last year. Just let the head rot a few days and keep twisting around on the horn sheaths. They eventually popped off from the decaying process. Hit them with hot water and then let them dry out. No damage and worked fine. Then let skull do its thing like any other one. I wouldn't hesitate to do a big antelope using that process.

Ackleyfan, that is one seriously big looking antelope, congrats.

Thanks,

Pretty much the exact process I used on this antelope, I put it in a black garbage bag in a plastic feed barrel for 3-4 days in the summer heat and the sheaths will just pull off, then put the skull back in a 5 gal bucket and soaked for a couple weeks then I degreased in dawn, and then I sprayed with 40% HP!

I bought a tank heater to speed the process on the next ones after reading this thread!
I think this maceration process turns out very good results

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by Judman
Anybody do a antelope this way?

2017 Antelope....

[Linked Image]

Ya man what a hammer !!!! Got the sheaths off mine already gonna dunk er in water

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Anybody do a antelope this way?

2017 Antelope....

[Linked Image]

Ya man what a hammer !!!! Got the sheaths off mine already gonna dunk er in water

looking forward to your results!

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I posted my progress on a muley in this thread last year, by far the best euro mount I have. Just gotta be patient

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here are the last two to get through the process. Have 6 more coming at a minimum this year from friends and family. The stench in the barn is pretty real lol. Toughest part is keeping the rot buckets warm on cold nights.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here are the last two to get through the process. Have 6 more coming at a minimum this year from friends and family. The stench in the barn is pretty real lol. Toughest part is keeping the rot buckets warm on cold nights.

You definitely have the process dialed in

very nice looking skulls!

Do you seal them or leave them natural?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What container do you use for the elk skull? I have a bull I shot a couple weeks ago I’d like to do. Have a Buck from the weekend and a couple bears in the freezer I need to work up too.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ackley, been leaving natural. It leaves options if any grease were to surface later. But sealing is a rattle can away.

TheKid, ranch supply store had a 15 gallon black soft rubber like horse water bucket. I had 3 tank heaters in it. It fit an elk and a mule deer at same time. On the bears, be careful on having teeth fallout and get lost in the sludge. Not sure how you get around that on the bears.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
[Linked Image]

It warmed up here the other day, so I put a heater on my frozen bucket of bear skull.

I guess I need a tank heater.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
TheKid, This is the container:
https://www.bigronline.com/miller-mfg-15gallon-heavy-duty-rubber-tub-black-601415.html

CWH2, that'll look like new after about 12 days in some nice luke warm water.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I take a simpler path. Put the skull in the canal and hope the gators don't make off with it. Crabs take care of the light work. Tusks on the bottom, pick 'em up and glue them back in place. Short soak in bleach,dry it out and go. 3 days in the water was all it took.

[Linked Image]

Resurrected:

[Linked Image]

Crabs gotta eat too.

And these clowns as well.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Trying an experiment with a small tank aerator in the Dawn soak along with the tank heater. Thinking that agitated warm water may degrease a little faster than still. We'll see.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just put 3 buck skulls in to rot off.......I will pull them out in May or June

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Why no tank heater and done in less than 2 weeks?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why no tank heater and done in less than 2 weeks?

I have patience

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I must be doing something wrong with an elk skull plate then. I didn't do a great job of fleshing it off a few years back, but now I've been soaking it in water and several water changes with Dawn over a couple of months and yesterday I took it to the car wash and blasted it for four minutes. I've already spent hours with a knife, needle nose pliers and a hemostat and there is still 10% of white smelly skin stuck to that skull plate. I do have a new appreciation for how tough elk hide is. No deer skull was ever this much work.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Windfall, Do not add dawn soap to the water. Just hot water with a tank heater keeping it at 85-90 degrees. It will be clean in 9-12 days. I don't scrape on them or anything like that after I pull them out. The maceration basically dissolves it all. Now that said, I don't put unskinned heads in the water. But I still think what you have will rot off.

Tank heaters are $13 delivered on Amazon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for that 30338, but it was skinned back when it was fresh, but now I'm contending with layers of very thin skin layers that were under the hair hide skin. I've always boiled my deer skulls and I'm considering that with the elk now too. It is drying in the garage, but the effluvia funk is filling the garage and it enough to gag a maggot. Sweetness isn't about to let this thing into the house again even down in the man cave.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 9 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.