Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ZKight89
I recently purchased a starter shotgun for my boys. A cheap Rock Island single shot 20 gauge that my oldest will receive at Christmas. My oldest boy is a monster at 8 years old, 4'9 and near 100lbs. If he pays attention and does what I want to see him do with this break open gun I'll take him shopping for a bigger pump or semi auto in the next year or so and my younger boys will learn on the cheap break open gun. I really like the idea of starting kids with a single shot, even my mag fed guns as a kid were used one shot at a time with the ammo doled out by my dad when it was time. That being said, the wife just picked up an 870 compact 20 gauge and we're all very pleased with it so far.

I agree with you except for one thing... those single shots are light and they are not going to fit very many kids well due to excess drop at comb. That makes them kick hard for young shooters. I started my son on a 28ga single shot and it was brutal to shoot. I was afraid I had broken him of shooting after the first time he shot it. wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Sitka Deer,
My oldest shows no signs of being recoil shy so far, he's shot my full size model 11 several dozen times at Clay's ( broken a dozen or so too!!) I noticed the single shot's comb being pretty low upon initial inspection. When I give it to him at Christmas we'll adjust length of pull for him and consider some type of cheek piece if necessary. I'm also looking into lighter loads for Clay's and small game.

Since we're discussing "first guns", my younger two at 4 and 3 will receive miniature wooden dummy shotguns at Christmas when big brother gets his 20 gauge. I plan on letting them carry their "guns" afield with us when they go to begin learning the way to handle and carry a firearm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know much about 20 gauge, but you can find 7/8 and even 3/4oz low velocity loads for 12, probably similar for 20.
If one shops carefully, Ithaca 37, Beretta, some single shots, and loads right, you can get a nice light 12.
What results is a gun that weighs just a bit more than a garden variety 20.
Add 20ga level loads, and you get a gun that absorbs the recoil, isn't too heavy, and probably patterns better.
Put turkeys on the list, and look at the numbers, then forget all the bullshit.
A normal 1 1/4 oz 12 load, matches a 3" MAGNUM 20. With less recoil, and noise.
They are not available in the premium Turkey style. But very good loads are available.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I see a hinged/break open action being touted as "safer" than other types but fail to see a difference between them. A gun with the chamber empty and the action open is "safe" regardless of the action. Once the chamber is loaded and the action closed, safety is in the actions of the person holding the gun. It is easier to see a break open action has been made safe which is a convenience to others rather than a safety feature.

As for firing, there is little difference between a double barrel, semiauto, and pump for repeated shots. Both the semiauto and the double gun are ready for a second shot once the first is fired. A pump has little in its favor over these two if used correctly as the recoil of the shot helps the shooter work the action for a follow up shot. It doesn't take much use to get shellshucking down pat.

For those worried about a new shooter having more than one round available to them in the early stages of their learning there are at least two ways they can limit shots in pump and semiautos.

First, they can do as my father did when I first used a repeater and say if he hears me fire a second round quicker than he thinks I should, then he will take the gun away from me. Knowing he meant it, I was careful how quickly I loaded follow up shells.

Then there is a second way which I implemented with my wife and stepsons. I cut a dowel to use as a plug long enough to prevent the loading of a shell in the magazine. This effectively made it a single shot or anything up to maximum magazine capacity depending on the length of the plug.

There are probably other means of limiting magazine capacity/rate of fire but these are the two I am most familiar with. Limiting magazine capacity isn't really a safety factor but it can lead the shooter to place greater concentration on making the first shot count rather than maybe a follow up one. Indirectly, it can also a cost saving feature too.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I see a hinged/break open action being touted as "safer" than other types but fail to see a difference between them. A gun with the chamber empty and the action open is "safe" regardless of the action. Once the chamber is loaded and the action closed, safety is in the actions of the person holding the gun. It is easier to see a break open action has been made safe which is a convenience to others rather than a safety feature.

As for firing, there is little difference between a double barrel, semiauto, and pump for repeated shots. Both the semiauto and the double gun are ready for a second shot once the first is fired. A pump has little in its favor over these two if used correctly as the recoil of the shot helps the shooter work the action for a follow up shot. It doesn't take much use to get shellshucking down pat.

For those worried about a new shooter having more than one round available to them in the early stages of their learning there are at least two ways they can limit shots in pump and semiautos.

First, they can do as my father did when I first used a repeater and say if he hears me fire a second round quicker than he thinks I should, then he will take the gun away from me. Knowing he meant it, I was careful how quickly I loaded follow up shells.

Then there is a second way which I implemented with my wife and stepsons. I cut a dowel to use as a plug long enough to prevent the loading of a shell in the magazine. This effectively made it a single shot or anything up to maximum magazine capacity depending on the length of the plug.

There are probably other means of limiting magazine capacity/rate of fire but these are the two I am most familiar with. Limiting magazine capacity isn't really a safety factor but it can lead the shooter to place greater concentration on making the first shot count rather than maybe a follow up one. Indirectly, it can also a cost saving feature too.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

My concern about auto-loaders is about safety, not shooting too fast. If they load the gun as in a pump after the shot they have either done it quite a bit or are thinking about it and likely to realize it is now hot, or they are far enough along to automatically flip the safety on.

With autos they do nothing and it is hot again and remembering to pull the safety is much harder for new shooters.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sitka Deer,
My oldest shows no signs of being recoil shy so far, he's shot my full size model 11 several dozen times at Clay's ( broken a dozen or so too!!) I noticed the single shot's comb being pretty low upon initial inspection. When I give it to him at Christmas we'll adjust length of pull for him and consider some type of cheek piece if necessary. I'm also looking into lighter loads for Clay's and small game.

Since we're discussing "first guns", my younger two at 4 and 3 will receive miniature wooden dummy shotguns at Christmas when big brother gets his 20 gauge. I plan on letting them carry their "guns" afield with us when they go to begin learning the way to handle and carry a firearm.

Every kid is different and I am guilty of getting them to shoot very early. It is easy to screw them up. Limiting number of times they get to shoot per session and making sure you do not shoot stuff that hurts for a long time is important. It only takes a mistake or two to turn a kid off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know it wasn't one of the choices, but what's wrong with a single shot 20 for a kid's first scatter gun?

Make the first shot count, probably not gonna be a second.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I know it wasn't one of the choices, but what's wrong with a single shot 20 for a kid's first scatter gun?

Not a bad way to go, except most stocks on them are horrible. They recoil all out of proportion to what they are delivering.

At 10 my son built a stock for a 20 gauge Remington 31. A touch of cast and it is very delicate in recoil.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I recently purchased a starter shotgun for my boys. A cheap Rock Island single shot 20 gauge that my oldest will receive at Christmas. My oldest boy is a monster at 8 years old, 4'9 and near 100lbs. If he pays attention and does what I want to see him do with this break open gun I'll take him shopping for a bigger pump or semi auto in the next year or so and my younger boys will learn on the cheap break open gun. I really like the idea of starting kids with a single shot, even my mag fed guns as a kid were used one shot at a time with the ammo doled out by my dad when it was time. That being said, the wife just picked up an 870 compact 20 gauge and we're all very pleased with it so far.

I agree with you except for one thing... those single shots are light and they are not going to fit very many kids well due to excess drop at comb. That makes them kick hard for young shooters. I started my son on a 28ga single shot and it was brutal to shoot. I was afraid I had broken him of shooting after the first time he shot it. wink
The NEF single shots definitely are not low in the comb. If anything they don't have enough drop.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blackheart

The NEF single shots definitely are not low in the comb. If anything they don't have enough drop.

Not sure what shape your kids are, but I disagree completeIly.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Don't know much about 20 gauge, but you can find 7/8 and even 3/4oz low velocity loads for 12, probably similar for 20.
If one shops carefully, Ithaca 37, Beretta, some single shots, and loads right, you can get a nice light 12.
Add 20ga level loads, and you get a gun that absorbs the recoil, isn't too heavy, and probably patterns better.
They are not available in the premium Turkey style. But very good loads are available.
I don't know where you're getting that a "normal 1 1/4 oz 12 gauge load" kicks less than a 3" 20 unless you're shooting the 12's out of a significantly heavier gun ? The standard 1 1/4 oz 12 gauge loads here are the high brass 3 3/4 dram equivalent 1 1/4 oz. at 1330 fps. The 3" 20's are 1 1/4 oz at 1185 fps. No way the 12's kick less unless you're comparing the 12 gauge to a significantly lighter 20 gauge gun. Heck, even the 3 1/4 dram equivalent 1 1/4 oz. low brass 12 gauge loads would kick slighly more than the 3" 20's in equal weight guns.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've had several of the NEF singles here and can't get my head down where it should be because the comb is too high.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know where you're getting that a "normal 1 1/4 oz 12 gauge load" kicks less than a 3" 20 unless you're shooting the 12's out of a significantly heavier gun ? The standard 1 1/4 oz 12 gauge loads here are the high brass 3 3/4 dram equivalent 1 1/4 oz. at 1330 fps. The 3" 20's are 1 1/4 oz at 1185 fps. No way the 12's kick less unless you're comparing the 12 gauge to a significantly lighter 20 gauge gun. Heck, even the 3 1/4 dram equivalent 1 1/4 oz. low brass 12 gauge loads would kick slighly more than the 3" 20's in equal weight guns.

Compare the weight of 12 vs 20 gauge guns.

Model to model.

12's are heavier.

And if they are only used for shooting a turkey,
They won't really notice.

Plus,
I reload.

You are the first person to mention that the 12 load is bigger.

Most argue, "the twenty is a MAGNUM."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A pump is MUCH safer in the hands of a kid, any kid. Kids get excited, and kids forget. That trigger can get pulled a second time by accident all to easily. Have them make the first shot count, also, instead of filling the air with lead, and reduced recoil loads work well.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muleshoe

Nothing is wrong with a SS. Find an old Savage Hammerless 220 in 20ga, so they don't get frustrated cocking the gun at flush and carry them cocked. wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Model to model.

12's are heavier.

Plus,
I reload.

I just happen to have 12 and 20 gauge pumps that are almost exactly the same weight. A Browning BPS 20 gauge and Ithaca 37 deluxe 12 gauge. The BPS 20 with 3" mags. is noticeably milder than the 12 gauge 37 with high brass loads.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Sitka Deer,

Every kid is different and I am guilty of getting them to shoot very early. It is easy to screw them up. Limiting number of times they get to shoot per session and making sure you do not shoot stuff that hurts for a long time is important. It only takes a mistake or two to turn a kid off.

I've carried my boys to the range and the woods with me most of their lives, my oldest had a few years of watching and learning before I let him shoot at the range at all. Now he's limited to 15-20 Clay's with my 20 gauge each trip and still only spectating in the field. Though I have let him carry my gun slung and empty back to the truck a few times. The younger two "help" by operating the trap remote at the clay range, picking up empties and carrying birds/ squirrels. Around 5 or so I may let them shoot at the range a time or two. I definitely agree on limiting their shooting, for several reasons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Model to model.

12's are heavier.

Plus,
I reload.

I just happen to have 12 and 20 gauge pumps that are almost exactly the same weight. A Browning BPS 20 gauge and Ithaca 37 deluxe 12 gauge. The BPS 20 with 3" mags. is noticeably milder than the 12 gauge 37 with high brass loads.

No [bleep] Sherlock.

I can also cherrypick a light Beretta O/U 20
Against a heavy 1187 12.

With your load example, the 20 will kick a hell of a lot harder.

That's why I said "WITH SIMILAR GUNS"

870, Ithaca, whatever.
The same model.

Not sure why I even acknowledged your reply.
I deal with people like you all the time.
Relatively low intelligence.
Can't step outside your wisdom to understand a new/different concept.

To the OP, sorry for the crapshow on your post.

Dillon out.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 11/28/18.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Model to model.

12's are heavier.

Plus,
I reload.

No [bleep] Sherlock.

I can also cherrypick a light Beretta O/U 20
Against a heavy 1187 12.

With your load example, the 20 will kick a hell of a lot harder.

That's why I said "WITH SIMILAR GUNS"

870, Ithaca, whatever.
The same model.

Not sure why I even acknowledged your reply.
I deal with people like you all the time.
Relatively low intelligence.
Can't step outside your wisdom to understand a new/different concept.

To the OP, sorry for the crapshow on your post.

Dillon out.
I was just trying to point out that gun weight matters. You've always been kind of a dick though so not surprised at your reply.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, Bclark, 6 invisible), 1,149 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,686
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.